The Partick Thistle thread

5 minutes ago, Arnold Layne said:

I have no idea, do you?

Not being privy to the inner workings of our club I can't say for certain, but I'd guess it's very likely that we're paying the man, given that we've announced that he signed a contract, admitting that this needed to be done in order to apply for the international clearance.

If we don't get the clearance, there may be a clause that we can release him with immediate effect, but I suppose we'll have to wait and find out. If we are paying him right now (which we will be) and can't get clearance for him to play, then the "nothing lost" line is nonsense.

2 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Not being privy to the inner workings of our club I can't say for certain, but I'd guess it's very likely that we're paying the man, given that we've announced that he signed a contract, admitting that this needed to be done in order to apply for the international clearance.

If we don't get the clearance, there may be a clause that we can release him with immediate effect, but I suppose we'll have to wait and find out. If we are paying him right now (which we will be) and can't get clearance for him to play, then the "nothing lost" line is nonsense.

I've no interest in giving you guys solace but my assumption would be that the contract is subject to clearance. If clearance isn't granted the conditions don't purify and the parties walk away. That would be the default position which any decent lawyer would adopt. There's always the possibility that Partick were so desperate that they agreed to an unconditional contract but I'd say that's unlikely. They're surely paying his legal fees though. As above, that would be the default assumption.

56 minutes ago, virginton said:

Loving the obvious bullshit line from Partick that they stand to lose nothing financially from signing Coulibaly if they can't resolve the long-standing issue; err, why the f**k would Coulibaly and his representatives commit to playing for a Scottish Championship club if they weren't getting something up front now and ongoing - like the payment of a contract for example? Anyone who buys the club's version of events on that front should be certified as a moron tbh.

Looking forward already to Chapter 2 of this saga when Partick unveil their crack legal team to settle this case in their favour.

Image result for lionel hutz

Will Morton ever leave the 2nd tier of Scottish football though ? 

23 minutes ago, Hammer Jag said:

Whilst we’re waiting on clearance for Coulibaly, we’ll go ahead and sign Quitongo. We’re Partick Thistle - we’ll sign who we want.

That'll be another player that won't be able to play for you then.

1 hour ago, Nightmare said:

Very likely or definitely are. Which is it?

Is he an employee or will he become an employee once conditions are met?

The fact is, none of us know what is in the contract. Nor should we, it's a private arrangement between two parties neither of whom is you or I.

As others have said, the club tried to pass off "international clearance" as a formality when it was anything but. Anyone paying any degree of attention would have known this wasn't a straight forward case of applying for clearance. This "holier than thou" website article doesn't detract from the fact they've made a massive cream pie that's just waiting for a face to be smashed into.

This argument that Coulibaly had to be signed before clearance was pursued isn't even worth debating - it's utter pish. 

I'll eat my hat if he ever pulls on a jersey.

7 hours ago, virginton said:

We'll be there long before you ever get a tune out of the ineligible player you've just gormlessly handed a contract to. 

Gutted for you.

1502716626880.jpg.cbaca9977e9c219de764bcdd764e1466.jpg

Where, still in the 2nd tier? The 3rd, again? Or maybe picking up another of your prestigious 4th tier trophies which makes you much bigger than Ayr?

As for gormlessly handing contracts to ineligible players - isn't that what Morten did with Tidser not long ago?

7 hours ago, Armand 2 said:

As others have said, the club tried to pass off "international clearance" as a formality when it was anything but. Anyone paying any degree of attention would have known this wasn't a straight forward case of applying for clearance. This "holier than thou" website article doesn't detract from the fact they've made a massive cream pie that's just waiting for a face to be smashed into.

This argument that Coulibaly had to be signed before clearance was pursued isn't even worth debating - it's utter pish. 

I'll eat my hat if he ever pulls on a jersey.

I don't know whether or not this is true so I bow to your knowledge. However, having a contract with the player before seeking clearance seems sensible. Why would any club go through the process unless it had a legal agreement with the player to play for them once the process was complete?

1 hour ago, VictorOnopko said:

Where, still in the 2nd tier? The 3rd, again? Or maybe picking up another of your prestigious 4th tier trophies which makes you much bigger than Ayr?

As for gormlessly handing contracts to ineligible players - isn't that what Morten did with Tidser not long ago?

Ah bless - I see that your 'disinterested commentator' facade has quickly slipped - unearthing the raging, gammon-faced mess that we all knew was lurking just underneath. It's almost too easy now. 

Morton indeed made an even more basic f**k up with Tidser - the difference being that the club's fanbase were mostly furious about it and the useless chief executive out of the club soon afterwards. Plus we eventually got another good three years out of him to date anyway. 

All of which now compared favourably with Partick's truly laughable club statement, the gormless wagon-circling of its fans and the extremely low prospect of Coulibaly ever pulling on a jersey for your club. Hard lines. 

Lets just wait to see how the situation plays out. The Club were condemned for not signing anyone, signing guys fans from other clubs said were crap, not being ambitious and signing players we had never heard of.

They have been criticised for not releasing information and then for not revealing every detail. They have shown a degree of ambition in trying to pull this off.

None of us know this will pan out, if it is successful we could have one of our biggest signings in years. If not we will be in exactly the same position as we were last week.

12 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

I've no interest in giving you guys solace but my assumption would be that the contract is subject to clearance. If clearance isn't granted the conditions don't purify and the parties walk away. That would be the default position which any decent lawyer would adopt. There's always the possibility that Partick were so desperate that they agreed to an unconditional contract but I'd say that's unlikely. They're surely paying his legal fees though. As above, that would be the default assumption.

I mean we didn't put a relegation clause in Adam Barton’s contract so...

Edited by Ad Lib

12 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

Or Just Employment Law are fighting his case.

2 hours ago, virginton said:

Ah bless - I see that your 'disinterested commentator' facade has quickly slipped - unearthing the raging, gammon-faced mess that we all knew was lurking just underneath. It's almost too easy now. 

Morton indeed made an even more basic f**k up with Tidser - the difference being that the club's fanbase were mostly furious about it and the useless chief executive out of the club soon afterwards. Plus we eventually got another good three years out of him to date anyway. 

All of which now compared favourably with Partick's truly laughable club statement, the gormless wagon-circling of its fans and the extremely low prospect of Coulibaly ever pulling on a jersey for your club. Hard lines. 

I like Morton; they are a proper old club who have had some very trying times.  Good day out (albeit via Gourock); always a good pitch too.  I think you're mistaking a dislike of your team for disdain at your ("gormless") attempt to slag Thistle off for signing a player who may not play immediately - or even at all -  given that your own team, as you rightly admit, made an even more basic registration f*ck up.  If you think that pointing that out makes me "raging" and "gammon-faced", so be it.  

I also can't help you if your post was so poorly written that the "we'll be there" part was unclear. Again, what did you mean? That you're proud Morton will continue to hang around in the second tier indefinitely?

A lot of our fans are annoyed at the club's poor communication (plus ça change), which makes it unclear whether the situation is as they expected,  is just a big mistake, or is somewhere in between. On balance, it's probably worth a try to get Coulibaly signed and then cleared, given how good a player he is.