The Partick Thistle thread

3 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Is there anything of any interest or am I just sticking the audio on this later to help me sleep? 

Zero of note. Fans need to support the team, being out the cup means we can focus on the league, the aim is to win the league.

Got to wonder who at the club thought that rousing message from Gerry would do anything to help matters.

If a video statement doesn’t bring actual news and the drawing attention to the absence of news is likely to get a negative reaction among those you’re seeking to pacify precisely because there is no news, don’t do the video statement.

I'm a bit bored on my break at work, so had a quick look at Wiki for our league placings over the last few seasons:

blob.png.d38602f1e8d5cc9e3dc5a2ea47472ec0.png

blob.thumb.png.d2996cd46366202af8750aca793b2194.png

I'm taking this with a huge pinch of salt (pretty sure we didn't finish 9th last season for a start) but assuming it's broadly accurate it looks like there's not a gigantic difference between the 2016/17 season and 2017/18, and yet the end results were vastly different. 16/17 will be skewed by the collective giving up in the 5 post-split fixtures however, whereas we had something to play for right through to the disastrous play-offs against Livi.

Shite cup records overall - a grim thought that one of our best cycle's in years may well have amounted to a handful of quarter final appearances (one of which iirc was an insipid 1-0 loss away to Aberdeen where Abdul Osman sort of had a half chance right at the end which was all we fucking created) and 2 draws against Rangers* + Celtic over 5 years if you include the 1st division season. edit: and yet to be fair to him the league finishes were generally pretty good, however it's maybe worth noting that unless I'm getting hugely mixed up we fucked up horrendously in pressure games against County twice, once on the last day of the season where a win would have seen us to 7th but we lost 3-2 or 4-2 and another time where we lost 1-0 away where we ended up only needing a draw to secure a top six place. Could also chuck the 4-0 defeat away which killed our goal difference last season for a hat-trick of County inflicting very damaging results to us.

Still think Archibald is a decent guy and he's always spoken well whenever I've heard him on the radio or the like, but I've been pretty firmly in the Archie Must Go camp since watching the first half of the 3-0 loss away to Hearts. The 4-0 against County shortly thereafter solidified that. It softened a little bit post relegation and I just about got behind the quick decision  to retain him with the bulk of the squad gutted out in a "let's just see where this goes guys" kinda thing, but the way we're playing, the rebuild thus far + if we can't manage to find a way to consistently get results away from home it doesn't look like I'm going to shift that position any time soon.

Utterly convinced this is his last season at the club whatever happens tbh, whether it's amicable or ends badly remains to be seen.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

Utterly convinced this is his last season at the club whatever happens tbh, whether it's amicable or ends badly remains to be seen.

I genuinely hoped last season would be his last, regardless of whether or not we managed to survive, as I felt the whole thing had gone stale.

The ideal situation for me would have been for him to win the play offs then leave head held high. An unlikely scenario, admittedly.

The manner of the play off defeat left me certain that he would be gone within a few days and yet here we are...

It's clear from the Chief Exec comments that Archibald is not under threat and has a job for life. Quite incredible that the board cannot see what we can all see. I believe that there is now a majority of fans who want to see change in the management team and if we lose this weekend, it will be near impossible for Gerry or chairman or anyone else not to do that.

1 minute ago, Lord Rosebury said:

Alan Archibald is in the process of building a new team.  He won't be sacked this season unless we are in danger of relegation.  

While I'm not spitting "Archie out" like some, if you're building a new team, you usually need to actually sign enough players to fill out said team.  If this is him building, he should probably do it better.

5 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

(one of which iirc was an insipid 1-0 loss away to Aberdeen where Abdul Osman sort of had a half chance right at the end which was all we fucking created)

I think I remember this game; was it on the BBC? If so, it was as big a shitebag performance as I've ever seen. Dreadful match.

10 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

I think I remember this game; was it on the BBC? If so, it was as big a shitebag performance as I've ever seen. Dreadful match.

Yeah, cup 1/4 final a couple of seasons back. We actually took almost a 1000 fans up thanks to free buses ran by the club  only for the team to not turn up.