The Partick Thistle thread

2 hours ago, Mediocre Pundit said:

I have no idea how good or bad McCready is, but I’d like to think there is some logic in loaning a decent young goalkeeper out to a team where he’ll have lots to do each match. 

He'll have developed a wide range of ways of returning the ball from the back of the net to the halfway line. 

Saw Morton signed a goalie yesterday, don't know where that leaves Sneddon, they might still be his only full time option where he could be first pick. 

9 hours ago, forameus said:

I'm happy enough with Bannigan staying, particularly with Docherty going.  I think there's a fair bit of recency bias in looking at Bannigan, because after his injury in the playoffs, he came back and looked pretty hopeless at the worst possible time.  I think he's been solid all year, and will continue to be a solid option for a Championship side.  

And this "back pass" stuff has always been utter pish.  Not just a Bannigan thing, seems to be a Jackie Husband stand thing that any player playing anything resembling a legal rugby pass is just the worst.  Granted, in some cases the safer backwards pass isn't the right call, but a huge amount of times, even as the howls of derision start up, it was absolutely the right call to make, and I expect the same people crying would be similarly apoplectic if we'd just launched it forward to Graham and watched him tangle with the defender and fall over.

Fans moaning about backwards and sideways passes is a huge bugbear of mine. It can be horrendously tedious if it’s all you do - Caldwell era springs to mind. But Doolan had us keeping and recycling possession and then cutting through teams - that comes from these ‘negative’ passes. 

Anyone who was getting drenched at Hampden last night would have heard Scotland’s backwards and sideways passes getting applauded because fans now know that this Scotland team are good at recycling possession and using it well 

A couple of cool new pages added to the Archive today, inspired by Scotland. Thistle have done well against Norwegian, Spanish and Cypriot sides, losing just once in 14 games!

In total, Thistle have played 241 matches against opponents from 24 countries aside from Scotland. As well as the summary table, our new page lists each match alphabetically by country then club...
Results Summary: Non-Scottish (All Games), by country →

Thistle's 241 foreign jousts have resulted in 139 non Scottish opponents from Aalborg to Zagreb. As well as a summary table, our second new lists each match chronologically...
Results Summary: Non-Scottish (All Games), by opponent →

Untitled.png

The biggest problem with changing strips annually is when you get a good one, nowadays, you know it will be gone 12 months later.  The version used in the season just completed is a case in point. Many fans, particularly those of a certain age-ie ‘the oldies’ see that design (shown in picture left) as the archetypal classic PTFC strip. It was the one used most throughout all Thistle’s history and it was so good to see it displayed in 2022/23. I personally would prefer to see the club always wear that basic design, but with peripheral changes, (to accommodate) the annual new strip changes.

I am of the view that classic designs are the ones that best show the team in a particular context. That is to say, some teams never really mess about with their design very much. A good example is Celtic. The colours are always green/white which is often the way with many clubs in terms of colours, (though a few add ‘rogue’ colours eg orange in a recent Liverpool shirt!). But, Celtic ALWAYS use green and white hoops. These might be thicker or thinner but always hoops. On the other hand, some teams eg Thistle use vertical stripes, hoops, mainly yellow etc etc, and this is something I don’t particularly like. Keeping the same colours, same basic design is what establishes a club’s identity, which should stay constant and unchanging IMO.

I feel those who make the decision regarding strips at Firhill feel the only constant needs to be the red and yellow colours, with black. And, just about any design is okay so long as these colours are used. This year we’ve got a ‘first’ (for the shirt) with red, yellow and black being used in equal quantities in a vertically striped shirt. Previously, the main colours have always been red and yellow with black (a powerful colour) as a subsidiary colour. Ie for collar or cuffs etc but used much less than the main two colours.

As the reader will have guessed, I don’t really like this year’s home strip, but then this has been true of many Thistle home strips in the past too! I am aware that I only speak for myself and many younger fans enjoy the thrill of seeing and wearing a new ‘creation’ (every year) and of course, the clubs and manufacturer love selling lots of them! But, perhaps, as a compromise, to reflect the views of more fans, Thistle as a supposedly ‘fan-owned club’ could consider giving supporters some choice over the question of strips which the team wears. That, at least would maybe please more supporters-incl. perhaps (?) ‘dinosaurs’ like me-though of course, “You can please some of the people, some of the time” but you can’t please “all of the people all of the time.” Ie those famous phrases! Yes, I agree with them! But, I still prefer, what to me, is the classic PTFC strip!

Edited by Don Kneelcaster

9 minutes ago, Don Kneelcaster said:

I am of the view that classic designs are the ones that best show the team in a particular context. That is to say, some teams never really mess about with their design very much. A good example is Celtic. The colours are always green/white which is often the way with many clubs in terms of colours, (though a few add ‘rogue’ colours eg orange in a recent Liverpool shirt!). But, Celtic ALWAYS use green and white hoops. These might be thicker or thinner but always hoops. On the other hand, some teams eg Thistle use vertical stripes, hoops, mainly yellow etc etc, and this is something I don’t particularly like. Keeping the same colours, same basic design is what establishes a club’s identity, which should stay constant and unchanging IMO.

I think Thistle are an outlier when it comes to the variation on our strip. I genuinely cannot think of another team who regularly wear hoops or stripes, with other occasional significant variations (e.g., predominately single colour). Even more unusual is a fanbase which is evenly split between preferring hoops or stripes. You use the example of Celtic, but other teams who wear hoops (Morton/QPR/Reading/Hamilton etc.) as far as I recall always wear hoops. The same for most teams who wear stripes (though a small number of these do vary with predominately single colour e.g., Coventry or Southampton). We just go for pretty much any variation on red and yellow (and optionally Black).

2 hours ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

I think Thistle are an outlier when it comes to the variation on our strip. I genuinely cannot think of another team who regularly wear hoops or stripes, with other occasional significant variations (e.g., predominately single colour). Even more unusual is a fanbase which is evenly split between preferring hoops or stripes. You use the example of Celtic, but other teams who wear hoops (Morton/QPR/Reading/Hamilton etc.) as far as I recall always wear hoops. The same for most teams who wear stripes (though a small number of these do vary with predominately single colour e.g., Coventry or Southampton). We just go for pretty much any variation on red and yellow (and optionally Black).

You make a fair point. I regard myself as ‘radical’ and even left-field on a number of things but where football strips are concerned I am on the traditional ‘wing’ of football supporters’ opinions. Real Madrid, even more than eg Leeds United have stuck to all white, (without the tinkering). Barca always used to be a particular shade of blue and red vertical stripes-now they have joined the ‘rest’ in Messi-ing around with their design! In their case, I respected the fact they would not use sponsors’ names on the front of the shirt for many years-but of course they reneged on that intention eventually. Juve always wear black/white vertical stripes and never change that ‘identity’. 

The main raison d’etre for issuing new strips every 12 months is to make money for manufacturers and clubs. That’s the driver and of course changing them radically, means many fans don’t want to be left with ‘last year’s model’ which is deliberately rendered ‘out of date’! This is the corporate ‘persuader’ for getting many people to replace mobile phones, cars, clothing etc etc. This is a modern phenomenon in our time, which didn’t exist to that extent in the past. But, if you want to watch your team play you see them wearing a particular strip and in the past, you looked forward to them running on to the field wearing the ‘uniform’ with which you associated them-the well-known strip which was a crucial part of their identity. Today, that notion has simply been jettisoned in favour of ‘other requirements.’ 

1 minute ago, third lanark said:

If we are really skint then I’m quite surprised we can afford 3 goalkeepers 

We're not "skint" we had a potential hole in the budget and we're unlikely to be spending the money that was getting dished out at start of last season. 

Surprised to see Sneddon stay, but not disappointed. Gives us two keepers of roughly similar standard and allows us the flexibility to punt McCready on loan.

53 minutes ago, Ken Deans said:

Shame. Him n Docherty cost us promotion. Not forgiven. Shitebags

They missed penalties, it happens. Awful take.