The Partick Thistle thread

8 hours ago, Don Kneelcaster said:

“This model is far from maturity and it isn’t (as) tidy…..…fan ownership promise……..we are…a(n) partner”

Yes, I understand you are “convinced” that those on the….board are serious about delivering on the fan ownership promise, but didn’t you previously at one time think the same about J Low and that previous board? And that came as quite a shock at the time. Of course, the present board want the JFL subscription money, but they haven’t delivered true fan ownership of PTFC yet, which is my point. You believe they will. We will see in due course. In the meantime…..

I don’t think the fact Jacqui Low turned out to be a charlatan and a liar came as a shock to many people, tbh.

22 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

I don’t think the fact Jacqui Low turned out to be a charlatan and a liar came as a shock to many people, tbh.

Yes, but the key words are “turned out to be.” For a long time, Thistle fans and just about everybody else who knew something about it, expected JLow, 3BCs, The Thistle board to give the shares to TJF. Then later after further negotiations with a new TJF board there was hope rather than expectation. But, finally they were given to another group which popped up out of nowhere which had never even been mentioned. Then, there was shock combined with anger, a sense of betrayal and yes, a profound belief amongst the fans, TJF etc we had been lied to. My feeling overall surrounding raising  this issue here, is how can we stop what ultimately happened previously, happening again?

TJF have a lot of money which is being paid as subscriptions by PT fans who are members of TJF. The club and individuals who are not necessarily members of TJF want that money, which has been offered by TJF at a time when PTFC is in a financial pickle. But, when money is available and desperately needed, sometimes people will say or/and agree to anything easily to get it. My point is, how can we be certain we aren’t having ‘the wool pulled over our eyes’ a second time?

Edited by Don Kneelcaster

15 minutes ago, Don Kneelcaster said:

Yes, but the key words are “turned out to be.” For a long time, Thistle fans and just about everybody else who knew something about it, expected JLow, 3BCs, The Thistle board to give the shares to TJF.

Not true. There were those of us who were extremely sceptical from the outset.

Then later after further negotiations with a new TJF board there was hope rather than expectation. But, finally they were given to another group which popped up out of nowhere which had never even been mentioned.

Another group that, it turns out, had been given certain assurances about the Club’s financial prudence that turned out to be at variance with the actualité.

Then, there was shock combined with anger, a sense of betrayal and yes, a profound belief amongst the fans, TJF etc we had been lied to. My feeling overall surrounding raising  this issue here, is how can we stop what ultimately happened previously, happening again?

Well the parcel of rogues aren’t on the Club Board anymore, for starters.

And for second, we now have proper Jags folk at the table, like Dougie McCrea, and a TJF representative, to oversee phase two of the corporate trustee model.

A model whose legal changes, giving TJF a seat at the fan ownership table, will be happening imminently.

TJF have a lot of money which is being paid as subscriptions by PT fans who are members of TJF. The club and individuals who are not necessarily members of TJF want that money, which has been offered by TJF at a time when PTFC is in a financial pickle.

Has it occurred to you to ask why TJF didn’t simply give this money in February, when the scale of the challenge became apparent to the new Club Board?

This hasn’t been done flippantly. It is the fruit of about six months of joint working and an extensive financial exercise to provide a more realistic and deliverable baseline budget for the football club. It has also been timed, very deliberately, to coincide with other progress in the model.

But, when money is available and desperately needed, sometimes people will say or/and agree to anything easily to get it. My point is, how can we be certain we aren’t having ‘the wool pulled over our eyes’ a second time?

Because it’s a completely different set of people in charge of the Club now.

17 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

Not true. There were those of us who were extremely sceptical from the outset.

Another group that, it turns out, had been given certain assurances about the Club’s financial prudence that turned out to be at variance with the actualité.

Well the parcel of rogues aren’t on the Club Board anymore, for starters.

And for second, we now have proper Jags folk at the table, like Dougie McCrea, and a TJF representative, to oversee phase two of the corporate trustee model.

A model whose legal changes, giving TJF a seat at the fan ownership table, will be happening imminently.

Has it occurred to you to ask why TJF didn’t simply give this money in February, when the scale of the challenge became apparent to the new Club Board?

This hasn’t been done flippantly. It is the fruit of about six months of joint working and an extensive financial exercise to provide a more realistic and deliverable baseline budget for the football club. It has also been timed, very deliberately, to coincide with other progress in the model.

Because it’s a completely different set of people in charge of the Club now.

We have to hope then-you say you are “convinced” -that this “completely different set of people” ultimately do things differently than the previous set of people. But, at the moment, we are NOT a fan-owned club in line with St Mirren or Motherwell so until or unless that’s achieved, we have to … wait and see. You seem to have a lot of ‘certainty’. Any, thoughts about ‘when’ genuine fan ownership (on a par with St Mirren or Motherwell etc) might be finally achieved?

I fully believe Don Kneelcaster is an AI.

On the signings front I hope we can uncover a few gems similar to Tiffoney, he was kind of wasting away on Livingstons bench before we gave him a run of games, there must be a few others out there who can drop down a level and kick on for us.

2 hours ago, Don Kneelcaster said:

Yes, but the key words are “turned out to be.” For a long time, Thistle fans and just about everybody else who knew something about it, expected JLow, 3BCs, The Thistle board to give the shares to TJF. 

This is certainly a take, maybe I’m remembering things completely wrong but I don’t remember pretty much anyone thinking Low/3BCs was going to give the shares to TJF, and if loads of people did that view definitely didn’t exist for very long. I think TJF knew from very early on that Low was not keen on their model for fan ownership.

Edited by JagsCG

2 hours ago, Maine said:

On the signings front I hope we can uncover a few gems similar to Tiffoney, he was kind of wasting away on Livingstons bench before we gave him a run of games, there must be a few others out there who can drop down a level and kick on for us.

No reason why we cannot. The 2012/13 squad was full of such players. 

2 hours ago, Maine said:

I fully believe Don Kneelcaster is an AI.

Well, you’re half right!

3 hours ago, Don Kneelcaster said:

We have to hope then-you say you are “convinced” -that this “completely different set of people” ultimately do things differently than the previous set of people.

They have already done so. For first, they haven't refused offers of direct financial support. For second, they have facilitated full financial disclosure to two of our directors. For third, they have gone onto bring about substantial financial disclosure to the fans. For fourth, they have been extremely keen to get TJF representation on the interim Club Board. For fifth, their budgeting assumptions for this season are far more realistic than those they inherited. For sixth, we are literally the wet signature on a trust deed variation away from an actual fans group taking a controlling interest in the majority shareholding.

3 hours ago, Don Kneelcaster said:

But, at the moment, we are NOT a fan-owned club in line with St Mirren or Motherwell so until or unless that’s achieved, we have to … wait and see. You seem to have a lot of ‘certainty’. Any, thoughts about ‘when’ genuine fan ownership (on a par with St Mirren or Motherwell etc) might be finally achieved?

Only in the sense that the legal relationship between Club Board and the fan ownership vehicle has not been finalised. But there is a clear roadmap via which this will happen.

I am reasonably confident that we will be there or thereabouts ahead of the Club's next Annual General Meeting. But the sequencing of the reforms has to be done right.

Noticed that the first team squad page on the OS has been updated and Paul McDonald is no longer showing as assistant manager- there is a different Paul McDonald who is the kitman but the McDonald who played for us in the late 90s is gone.

I don't know if this means he's just gone back to Academy Director or if he's left entirely, assumed he was just assistant on temporary basis until Doolan could get his own choice in.

Edited by Fuctifano

Wasn't all that long ago that we discovered the oldest known footage of Partick Thistle in action at Firhill (1956) and now - the second oldest, wow! Treasured glimpses from the excellent new Archie McPherson episode of the BBC Icons series...

14-Sep-1968 Partick Thistle 4 Clyde 0 (SFL First Division - game 2) →

31 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Noticed that the first team squad page on the OS has been updated and Paul McDonald is no longer showing as assistant manager- there is a different Paul McDonald who is the kitman but the McDonald who played for us in the late 90s is gone.

I don't know if this means he's just gone back to Academy Director or if he's left entirely, assumed he was just assistant on temporary basis until Doolan could get his own choice in.

Spoke to him at kit-day, towards end of last season. Said was going back to Academy role. 

1 hour ago, Hammer Jag said:

No reason why we cannot. The 2012/13 squad was full of such players. 

This is the reason why I’m hopeful that next season will be a success. We don’t know how good an eye for a player Doolan has yet, but he definitely has proven to be capable of getting the best out of what he has. 

18 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Twitter rumour that we’re signing Wasiri Williams - an ex Swansea youth centre half, who’s had spells with a load of English non-league clubs and, most recently, Dundalk in Ireland.

Boy that’s posted it is the same one that posted about Harry Milne months before anyone else, so maybe. 

Scott Burns of the Record is now saying this. 2-year deal apparently 

Edited by JagsCG

3 hours ago, The Thistle Archive said:

Wasn't all that long ago that we discovered the oldest known footage of Partick Thistle in action at Firhill (1956) and now - the second oldest, wow! Treasured glimpses from the excellent new Archie McPherson episode of the BBC Icons series...

14-Sep-1968 Partick Thistle 4 Clyde 0 (SFL First Division - game 2) →

I was at this match and it stood out because, back then, we had a genuine living, breathing rivalry between ourselves and the Bullywee. Also, the emphatic scoreline was more than a a bit of a pleasant surprise. Matches between the two clubs were usually much closer back then. In fact Clyde reached third place in the top tier in the later 60s and would have been playing in Europe in the Inter Cities Fairs Cup (equivalent of UEFA Cup), had it not been for the fact that Rangers took that spot as only one team was allowed to enter that competition per city. That was very harsh on Clyde. Back then, I wouldn’t have cared, but now, in a more mellow more charitable frame of mind, I think it  was really bad luck. In 1969, Clyde would feature v Celtic in a Scottish cup semi. Clyde, at that time were a very decent top tier side but circumstances outwith their control, combined to make things progressively more difficult for them as time went on. Now, they’re in the fourth tier, just above the non-league clubs and I certainly don’t envy them. But, thinking back to the fact Third Lanark disappeared off the Scottish football map completely the year before-in 1967-makes anyone realise, when their team is near the bottom, nothing is guaranteed. Now, I hope they survive and continue as one of the six original Glasgow sides, only five now being in existence.