The Partick Thistle thread

4 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Long term, there’s no one better for me. If Fitzpatrick hangs around and keeps up his current form, then bringing him back could be up there for me. 

Best signing we’ve made for immediate impact was Scott Tiffoney. 

Forgot about Tiffoney in recent seasons - good shout.

20 minutes ago, jagfox said:

I haven't been a big fan of Blair Alston so far. Probably a bit hyper-criticle on my part.

His runs into the box are reminiscent of The Ghost, Albert Craig.

IMG_20231111_220352_434.thumb.webp.32c0afcb33ecbcb9a51ed69cb7444d50.webp

I thought he was a little unlucky not to get the winner against Ayr- he did the right thing in lifting the ball past the keeper after a good run. The keeper did very well to get the faintest of deflections to take it onto the post

7 minutes ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

I thought he was a little unlucky not to get the winner against Ayr- he did the right thing in lifting the ball past the keeper after a good run. The keeper did very well to get the faintest of deflections to take it onto the post

Even his effort at Airdrie wasn't far away.

On 11/11/2023 at 20:29, Jacky1990 said:

Where does Brian Graham rank in our best signings of the last decade?

Has scored loads and bams up the opposition and their fans at a god-tier level. 

Cant be many better.

The stereotypical player you love in your side and would hate him against you. The whole of the championship will breathe a collective sigh of relief when he retires. 

It's hard to argue who'd compete with him, Lawless and Tiffoney perhaps. 

Yeah, i thought he looked a bit creaky last season - and does still have the odd anonymous game, albeit a lack of quality service is more the issue there - but when he's fired up he's excellent.

I know 4-4-2 isnt all that fashionable anymore but a hypothetical Scott McDonald/Brian Graham partnership could have been amazing 3/4 seasons ago, especially in the 2nd tier. dunno if they'd ever have played together (might have been at Dundee Utd at the same time, think they both played for them at some stage). Both similar nuisance types of forward, but good goalscorers too.

Edit: although thinking on it im sure McDonald is a bit older so might have to go back a bit further than 3/4 seasons in fantasy land to get the best out of them

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

31 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

a hypothetical Scott McDonald/Brian Graham partnership

The most greeting-faced strikeforce that Scottish football, and possibly just football generally, would ever have seen.

Never played together though - McDonald was at Millwall when Graham was at United. 

On 12/11/2023 at 00:24, Nightmare said:

In the last decade, I’m struggling to think of (m)any better signings.

I think he’s surpassed Tomas Cerny as the king of the WUMs, and in terms of actual contribution on the pitch he’s right up there as well.

Other big contributors - Higgy, Taylor, Cerny, the return of Erskine. Graham has arguably outperformed any of them, albeit they were all in the top flight whereas he’s unfortunately never experienced that with Thistle.

The best signing we've made in the last decade is Scott McDonald. I know he was a GC signing and played in a stinking team but he was someone who was far too good for the level we were at. However, Graham has been a critical part of our team for at least the past 3 seasons, his goals tally reflects this. 

47 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

The most greeting-faced strikeforce that Scottish football, and possibly just football generally, would ever have seen.

Never played together though - McDonald was at Millwall when Graham was at United. 

We had Graham alongside Johnny Baird for a season, that surely must rank high in the greeting faced stakes.

12 hours ago, ptfc. 22 said:

Is there a summary of the q&a from the meet the manager might?

From FB

All 3 were a class act. Paul McDonald had the room laughing nearly every time he spoke!

Dools especially bigged up player pathway for the young lads and how important it is to a club like us.

We want a DM in Jan.

Insight into scouting system in place.

Admits some mistakes made this season particularly Raith at home and he’s still learning.

Says we wont give up on catching Dundee united as “whats the point?” if we do

Great Q&A session

Dools came across well. Really passionate, motivated and doing everything he can to move the club forward.

Admitted we need a defensive midfielder in January 

Always wants an emphasis on bringing talent through the academy 

Have 6 scouts, 3 in Scotland, 3 in England - thinks they can bring us successful recruitment in time

BBG unsure if he has TWO red cards from Saturday - will find out soon.

A good night and none of the PowerPoint Caldwell “how I masterminded a draw with Hearts” egotistical shite……

That was the only other summary I've seen so far.

Edited by jagfox

6 hours ago, Tony Wonder said:

How has Lewis Neilson been doing for you boys? I think he's a real prospect but definitely needed that experience of playing week in week out so keen to see how he's getting on.

In the main, I would say he has been decent. Gets caught out for pace from time to time. Seems fairly confident bringing the ball forward and was voted player of the month for October.

34 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

In the main, I would say he has been decent. Gets caught out for pace from time to time. Seems fairly confident bringing the ball forward and was voted player of the month for October.

Glad to hear he's doing well. He's very good on the ball but had a knack of getting caught out defensively. I was never sure if it was because of positioning or just not sharp enough but hopefully getting games helps him iron that out a bit. He's still only 20 so plenty time to improve.

19 hours ago, Tony Wonder said:

How has Lewis Neilson been doing for you boys? I think he's a real prospect but definitely needed that experience of playing week in week out so keen to see how he's getting on.

He reminds me of when Lewis Mayo first came to us. He’s very raw but you can definitely see there’s talent there. He made a few mistakes early on, but has been generally reliable in the past few games.

I’d guess he’ll play just about every game now, barring injury, so would expect him to continue getting better.

1 hour ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Those Thistle trackies will need binned ASAP.

I was impressed Clyde got him decked out in a club puffa jacket straight away.

An intriguing appointment by Clyde.

Will he and our super agent pal line up any moves to NDP in January? 

I can see Zander MacKenzie heading there in January. He hasn't really worked out a position for us yet and I think Williams has set himself as our back-up full back over the last couple of games. 

Half expect Mccall to make a fantasist transfer enquiry for Graham or Lawless though, a la Stephen Dobbie circa 2008.