The Partick Thistle thread

With all due respect to them, I think Diack is already better than playing league 2 football next season, even for 6 months. We should be aiming to get him in at Kelty or Stenny etc if we’re to loan him out. 

1 hour ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

With all due respect to them, I think Diack is already better than playing league 2 football next season, even for 6 months. We should be aiming to get him in at Kelty or Stenny etc if we’re to loan him out. 

Stenny would be good. The reverse Mark McGuigan.

3 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Stirling Albion is another reasonably near team- if they stay up in league one via the playoffs then another club to consider a loan too

7 minutes ago, third lanark said:

Stirling Albion is another reasonably near team- if they stay up in league one via the playoffs then another club to consider a loan too

Dumbarton relegated Stirling Albion on Saturday.

Is this a Thistle thread or a Morton/St Johnstone thread?  I’m fine with fans of other clubs offering their perspectives on here - in fact welcome it (even Airdrie, even Killie) - but it’s in danger of getting derailed!

Also, I’m too lazy to go find my previous posts about Doolan’s management performance, but I’ll paraphrase:  he’s showing all the hallmarks of a good young manager who is learning as he goes, who gets a lot out of his players, who works hard with them, and whose results speak for themselves.  His occasional poor choices/naivete are simply those of a man still learning the trade, and would rather have that than mediocrity from someone who has been in his trade for decades.

19 minutes ago, third lanark said:

Send him tae the Peasy!

Posted (edited)

Diack out on loan to League 1 The Spartans, fifteen goals by January, recalled from loan after Henoc Mukendi tears his hamstring and Antonio German flops. Scores the winner against Sevco on the final day, denying them the title and netting the Jags a plum Europa League trip to Norrkjoping.

Edited by DiegoDiego

15 hours ago, AMMjag said:

Whilst it's vaguely amusing to sign up Morton's best players as squad fodder, I think Diack is a good enough Championship player just now for another striker to be very low on our list of transfer priorities. A 3rd choice striker is something that can be left as a late-August loan deal while we prioritise the return of international football sensation, Stephen O'Donnell.

Stephen O Donnells aunt is my acting manager- will keep asking but nothing so far.

by coincidence Luke McBeths aunt also works on the same floor as us

16 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

image.png.b0933ed5ea410f40c3b2260bd8ca0155.png

image.png.35654151149abc14bcc8d466156fadcf.png

image.png.64d9d89ad4705aa76cceffbd7a79cbf5.png

image.png.e8bb6f4d544b29c3d8bd39bc464cabf7.png

edit: can't stress it enough but we lost Kevin Holt, Kyle Turner and Ross Docherty from last season - replaced them with Wasiri Williams, Lewis Neilson on loan and latterly Luke McBeth (from Glenafton, albeit he looks like the Terminator at the back a lot of the time, absolute machine & could be a brilliant find given how quickly he's adjusted to full time football already), Kerr McInroy on loan, Blair Alston on a free, Scott Robinson and Adeloye on loan. Ngwenya is another in on loan.

I really don't think we can be accused of relying on funding/spending particularly heavy this season tbh, would have been a bit of a heavy risk to take given Utd were always going to be hard to properly compete with at the top & we needed to fix the mess we were in with Low eating up all of our cash reserves.

Doolan's had some flaws with the occasional team selection/substitutions (in my opinion and sometimes just with hindsight, Livi cup game the side we had out for extra time had some questionable choices, think that game Diack was wide right and it just didn't really work, but with injuries & maybe due to us missing out on some transfer targets it's been square pegs in round holes) but there's not been many games where the players have looked like they've chucked it.

Was some really rancid mid season form right enough from us, think after January we went a good few weeks without a win but mercifully the team was able to sort it eventually.

Largely that was around the time Mitchell was still frozen out, once he came back in that played a big part in stopping the rot, so Doolan to his credit might have had to swallow a bit of pride on that score & admit that Sneddon needed dropped. You can't always legislate for a keeper going through a sudden catastrophic drop in form & killing the defences confidence imo.

I have to be honest re Sneddon and personally think he is overrated.  Sure he has produced great saves though is that not what a keeper is expected to do ideally.  He’s always popped up with an absolute clanger as well every so often- for someone been at the club for 7 years he really has not improved anywhere near as much as I had hoped.  I actually think Mitchell is the better goalkeeper out of the 2.  Personally regardless of what division we are in the club Doolan should be giving serious consideration to releasing Sneddon in the summer 

6 hours ago, Claudia Gentile said:

The handling of Diack next season will be an interesting test of Doolan's management skills but there'd be risks and benefits on whatever plan he goes with.

He might stay with the first-team and spot in for Graham or even a wide attacking position.

Downside is he may not get the minutes he needs to develop.

Going out on loan is potentially the best way to get him game-time.

That depends on the team and league he goes out to.

A decent part-time outfit would potentially give him starts and also the chance to train with the first team through the week.

He's only turned 19 but it is still an important season for Ricco.

I hope the manager sets him on the right path.

I'd probably go for the loan option but then you get into what club?

I think Graham has a big influence on the development of forward players as well, which is probably a great thing for Doolan. I had a chat with Graham this season in hospitality and he seemed to really rate Diack, which is good to hear, I'd like to see him getting more game time with us, but a loan might be better for him. 

Anyway, still waiting on us signing Rumarn Burrell, must be any day now. 

1 hour ago, third lanark said:

I have to be honest re Sneddon and personally think he is overrated.  Sure he has produced great saves though is that not what a keeper is expected to do ideally.  He’s always popped up with an absolute clanger as well every so often- for someone been at the club for 7 years he really has not improved anywhere near as much as I had hoped.  I actually think Mitchell is the better goalkeeper out of the 2.  Personally regardless of what division we are in the club Doolan should be giving serious consideration to releasing Sneddon in the summer 

I thought Sneddon made genuinely good progress last season and was happy starting with him as first choice this season. However, he seems to have badly regressed this year unfortunately. 

11 minutes ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

I thought Sneddon made genuinely good progress last season and was happy starting with him as first choice this season. However, he seems to have badly regressed this year unfortunately. 

I just don’t think considering he has been here 7 years I just don’t think he has improved much in that time. Though part of it may also be down to coaching 

21 hours ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

Doolan doesn’t strike me as the type of coach to do what Dougie can do re motivating players. I could be wrong of course but he comes across as quite laid back compared to Dougie, bordering on relying on funding to build the team he needs, rather than putting in the hard yards.

"Managers only care if they are screaming and shouting all game" is one of the laziest yer da takes.

I wouldnt exactly big up wee angry Dougie's ability to motivate players when it looks like theyve chucked it for two-thirds of the season and finished a gargantuan three points above the relegation play-off places. 

My biggest problem with Sneddon is the amount of goals he concedes by just doing something completely inexplicable where there doesn’t seem to be any danger at all. Like, basically every keeper in our league, and even the league above, is going to concede goals where you think “could’ve done better there” - if they didn’t they wouldn’t be in Scottish football. The problem is that Sneddon has a habit of doing things like running under the ball (Inverness away) or punting the ball off an attacker then dropping it directly at their feet (Hamilton home) as well as increasingly conceding goals where he shouldn’t have. 

The guy has made some of the best saves I’ve ever seen, and he seems a good guy (his dad’s a massive throbber though) but we need to cut our losses with him. 

33 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

My biggest problem with Sneddon is the amount of goals he concedes by just doing something completely inexplicable where there doesn’t seem to be any danger at all. Like, basically every keeper in our league, and even the league above, is going to concede goals where you think “could’ve done better there” - if they didn’t they wouldn’t be in Scottish football. The problem is that Sneddon has a habit of doing things like running under the ball (Inverness away) or punting the ball off an attacker then dropping it directly at their feet (Hamilton home) as well as increasingly conceding goals where he shouldn’t have. 

The guy has made some of the best saves I’ve ever seen, and he seems a good guy (his dad’s a massive throbber though) but we need to cut our losses with him. 

Agreed. It’s often a case of the sublime or the ridiculous with Sneddon, but unfortunately the ridiculous comes into play far too frequently. And it’s been years of the exact same issues, so he’s clearly never going to eradicate them from his game.

Mitchell isn’t great, but I think he’s generally more consistent than Sneddon. I don’t trust either of them particularly, and ideally we’ll be starting 24/25 with a clean slate at the position. If I had to take one, though, give me Mitchell.

11 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Agreed. It’s often a case of the sublime or the ridiculous with Sneddon, but unfortunately the ridiculous comes into play far too frequently. And it’s been years of the exact same issues, so he’s clearly never going to eradicate them from his game.

Mitchell isn’t great, but I think he’s generally more consistent than Sneddon. I don’t trust either of them particularly, and ideally we’ll be starting 24/25 with a clean slate at the position. If I had to take one, though, give me Mitchell.

How about this for a thought & don't laugh until you read all.

Keep Mitchell a better all round keeper than Sneddon.

Thistle as we know have a good relationship with Hearts would it be worth asking about Craig Gordon to come is as our No 1 cos as it stands he won't be playing as long as Zander is fit secondly at his age I believe he like still to play 1st team football. Wages i don't think is an issue due to him making a good living out the game, also the drive is only 45mins along the motorway,  personally I think it ticks all the boxes for all concerned. 

Thoughts ??

11 minutes ago, colliedug said:

How about this for a thought & don't laugh until you read all.

Keep Mitchell a better all round keeper than Sneddon.

Thistle as we know have a good relationship with Hearts would it be worth asking about Craig Gordon to come is as our No 1 cos as it stands he won't be playing as long as Zander is fit secondly at his age I believe he like still to play 1st team football. Wages i don't think is an issue due to him making a good living out the game, also the drive is only 45mins along the motorway,  personally I think it ticks all the boxes for all concerned. 

Thoughts ??

Gordon will be going to the Euros in the summer. If he decides he wants to leave and keep playing there will be loads of clubs that can blow us out the water financially that would want him.