The Partick Thistle thread

3 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

I've thought for a while with McInroy being from Fife he'd end up at one of those two clubs or Falkirk next year. Him not getting on last night might be a clue to his future similar to how Dowds wasn't used / trusted in Dingwall.

Definitely need two wingers as well, anything we get from Lawless from here on is a bonus, he'll be pushing 34 and probably close to a year out if / when he gets back. 

I heard months ago that McInroy had agreed to sign permanently at the end of the season, but I’m now unsure about it.

If the Crawford signing is true then we have him and Robinson for the 10 role. Banzo, Stanway and McBeth covering the deeper roles (hopefully plus one other). He’s shown he’s not effective out wide so where do we fit him in?

Keeper and wingers have to be the priority for the budget rather than another centre mid who doesn’t offer much different to what we already have.

Posted (edited)

Weird feeling based on nothing, but I reckon theres a couple of players we'll - strongly rather than tentatively - go in for from Inverness if they go down. Cammy Kerr (think hes on loan technically but im guessing hes finished at Dens, he should do just fine as a replacement for McMillan and has a wee bit of the Christie Elliot "gives 100% wherever you fling him on the pitch" about him), Cammy Harper etc.

Convinced Declan Glass is going to sign for us and all.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

14 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Weird feeling based on nothing, but I reckon theres a couple of players we'll - strongly rather than tentatively - go in for from Inverness if they go down. Cammy Kerr (think hes on loan technically but im guessing hes finished at Dens, he should do just fine as a replacement for McMillan and has a wee bit of the Christie Elliot "gives 100% wherever you fling him on the pitch" about him), Cammy Harper etc.

Harper is seemingly away to Killie. I'd imagine he'll have quite a lot of suitors in the top flight if that's not true. 

18 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Is Declan Glass not been very injury prone the last few years? Can we really afford to take a chance if he is

12 minutes ago, third lanark said:

Is Declan Glass not been very injury prone the last few years? Can we really afford to take a chance if he is

That was kind of why I thought he'd end up with us 😂 still fairly young, too, though & we've taken risks on similar players before.

17 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Harper is seemingly away to Killie. I'd imagine he'll have quite a lot of suitors in the top flight if that's not true. 

Ahh. Bugger, he sprang to mind as being eye catching in the odd game against us, good athlete.

With O Reilly, Williams, presumably Muirhead, a new CB and McBeth and Milne as cover, we can focus on any right back as just a good out and out full back rather than being able to cover CB as well. 

A bit left field but I noticed Grant Savoury is out of contract with QP. I know he has missed most of the season due to a bad injury but has impressed me when I've seen him play.

He's 24 in the summer so not sure if any compensation would be required? 

4 minutes ago, Claudia Gentile said:

A bit left field but I noticed Grant Savoury is out of contract with QP. I know he has missed most of the season due to a bad injury but has impressed me when I've seen him play.

He's 24 in the summer so not sure if any compensation would be required? 

I was impressed with him before his injury last season.

Just now, Claudia Gentile said:

Definitely a good player, no idea if he's even on our radar and might re-sign with the Spiders.

If I am correct, I dont think he has kicked a ball this season. That injury might have done him.

I’d be making an offer to Alston personally. An experienced player who can step up when needed. 

Will he start every week? Perhaps not. But absolutely someone you want in your squad. 

we had similar reservations about Robinson as he was slowly coming back from his injury after signing. 

it’s clear now that Alstons inconsistency earlier in the season was based more around match fitness and sharpness rather then ability. He has only now started to gain some momentum.

If we are serious about winning the league or contending for promotion then players like him can be important and it might not be sound business to let him walk into the squad or a rival around us in the league. 

if you have me a choice now between McInroy and Alston I’d be picking Alston. 

4 hours ago, VictorOnopko said:

We can file the shootout right in the bin/landfill along with the Queen of the South one in the diddy cup and last year's disaster.  Fourth time lucky next year?!!

I'm still buzzing from the win in Peterhead last summer, thank you very much.

1 hour ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Cammy Kerr

In the few times I've watched him this season he's always been a reliable out ball, but has never beaten a man or put in a cross.

1 hour ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

That was kind of why I thought he'd end up with us 😂 still fairly young, too, though & we've taken risks on similar players before.

We took a risk on that exact player before.

Weekend not totally ruined....a good chance of Inverness going down and next weekend hopefully SJ....just can't be arsed with those tedious Northern away days anymore. 

2 hours ago, BigMadMental said:

I’d be making an offer to Alston personally. An experienced player who can step up when needed. 

Will he start every week? Perhaps not. But absolutely someone you want in your squad. 

we had similar reservations about Robinson as he was slowly coming back from his injury after signing. 

it’s clear now that Alstons inconsistency earlier in the season was based more around match fitness and sharpness rather then ability. He has only now started to gain some momentum.

If we are serious about winning the league or contending for promotion then players like him can be important and it might not be sound business to let him walk into the squad or a rival around us in the league. 

if you have me a choice now between McInroy and Alston I’d be picking Alston. 

Your assessment of Alston is a bit generous. He was tremendous against Raith in the last 2 games but he was below the standard required for most of the season (Morton winner aside). Probably on a decent wage too. Nice guy, can provide a bit of magic but not a player I suspect we’ll be keeping. ‘gaining some momentum’ in the last 2 games of the season for an experienced player who’s been fit all season and seen a decent number of games in that time isn’t it either IMO.

5 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

Your assessment of Alston is a bit generous. He was tremendous against Raith in the last 2 games but he was below the standard required for most of the season (Morton winner aside). Probably on a decent wage too. Nice guy, can provide a bit of magic but not a player I suspect we’ll be keeping. ‘gaining some momentum’ in the last 2 games of the season for an experienced player who’s been fit all season and seen a decent number of games in that time isn’t it either IMO.

I will stick by my assessment that he has done enough to not be let go by the club. If he leaves we will sign worse players as backups guaranteed.

I’m not convinced we can go up in third or fourth. Second might be pushing it if there’s no really bad eleventh team next season. If we have to go all out for first in a season where there’s no clear favourite then (cost permitting obviously) we might need to be a bit more brutal with who is good enough to be a first choice starter. People on here talking about good young players coming through but not convinced Diack, McKenzie or even Stanway are getting us promoted next year. Likes of Muirhead and Banzo shouldn’t be starting either.