The Partick Thistle thread

Posted (edited)

Good to see us taking early action as well.

Of the others that are out of contract in 2025 I'd be looking to extend Diack, with a view to getting him out on loan for the first half of the upcoming season, and Milne, though Harry at 28 at the end of next season is starting to run out of time to have a crack at the top flight if he doesn't make it with us, so I could see him holding off. Everyone else can be assessed nearer the time.

edit: squad summary for now in spoiler tags

Spoiler

McCready, Milne, Williams, O'Reilly, Bannigan, Lyon, Robinson, Taggart*, Turay*, Diack*

Fitzpatrick, Lawless, Graham, Stanway, MacKenzie

McBeth

*modern apprentice

Edited by Fuctifano

Just now, Claudia Gentile said:

I'm not one to get overly excited by close-season contract news but we'll probably piss our way to being league winners in 2024/25.

Is Luke McBeth going to be first player to go from Glenafton Athletic to Champions League winner?

26 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Didn't Dundee Utd do this in 2017/18/19, so (for now) we're only joint worst?

15 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Hibs did it as well in 2013/14, 14/15 and 2015/16. 

Duly corrected as a joint-record indeed, thanks.

1 hour ago, Highlandmagar said:

I didn't fancy McBeth at first. He gas come on to a great game.

Good news about his contract extension.

A few more strikes like the beauty at Airdrie would be nice.

I wonder how many other Luke McBeth's are currently playing in the lower leagues ? .I hope our scouting system  uncovers some other rough diamonds for Dools and Co to polish up .

2 minutes ago, I Clavdivs said:

I wonder how many other Luke McBeth's are currently playing in the lower leagues ? .I hope our scouting system  uncovers some other rough diamonds for Dools and Co to polish up .

How is it that someone like him isn’t noticed until a relatively late stage?

9 minutes ago, JudgeMudge said:

How is it that someone like him isn’t noticed until a relatively late stage?

Was over in America.

Would imagine since he didnt have a background playing for a club academy at youth level he didnt have the contacts to get in at even a League 1 or League 2 level.

We seem to have taken a punt and gave him a trial based on a recommendation and he has thrived. 

37 minutes ago, I Clavdivs said:

Hopefully there is more to come. I am sure I read that McBeth was recommended to us by ex Jag Gary Fraser who is at Glenafton.

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

Was over in America.

Would imagine since he didnt have a background playing for a club academy at youth level he didnt have the contacts to get in at even a League 1 or League 2 level.

We seem to have taken a punt and gave him a trial based on a recommendation and he has thrived. 

yeah, wasn't it something about one or two ex Thistle players at Glenafton (maybe Paul Paton? edit: ah, or Gary Fraser!) that recommended him to us, think that was in this thread

Very happy he's extended, not just an absolute unit but he's got a bit of talent/flair about him and all, occasionally makes really eye-catching passes over a decent distance and of course the goal against Airdrie. Can pick up the ball and drive us forward from the back or from midfield too.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

44 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

yeah, wasn't it something about one or two ex Thistle players at Glenafton (maybe Paul Paton? edit: ah, or Gary Fraser!) that recommended him to us, think that was in this thread

Very happy he's extended, not just an absolute unit but he's got a bit of talent/flair about him and all, occasionally makes really eye-catching passes over a decent distance and of course the goal against Airdrie. Can pick up the ball and drive us forward from the back or from midfield too.

I think what someone like him gives us is an option to change formation mid match without wasting subs.

Him being comfortable both in central defence and defensive midfield means we can easily drop to a 5 if and when required.

Its a very good option to have.

Just now, oneteaminglasgow said:

Relatively pleased with that. It’s not the most glamorous signing but he’s a known quantity at this level. 

By all accounts had a decent season with Morton.

I just assumed he would take Alston's place in the squad but seems we have an offer to keep him as well.