The Partick Thistle thread

I didn't catch Chalmers over at Tranmere, where the feedback was not great. However, I'm not bothered what he has done anywhere else.  I hope that Chris Doolan and the experienced players we have can help him to improve so that he can contribute something, in every match. 

23 minutes ago, Red Kite said:

I didn't catch Chalmers over at Tranmere, where the feedback was not great. However, I'm not bothered what he has done anywhere else.  I hope that Chris Doolan and the experienced players we have can help him to improve so that he can contribute something, in every match. 

He's not had a lot of games. 75 in the league for a 24 year old but there's definitely a player there. 

I just hope he is more Lawless or Fitzpatrick, than Mitch Austin or Dario Zanatta, for us.

18 hours ago, Reid said:

I’d see we still need as a minimum: GK, RB, CB or CM (depends where we’re planning on using McBeth), winger and striker

Agree with that but would add I think we need some form of fullback cover as well, who plays LB if Milne gets injured for a while? Wasiri could cover RB -in fact based on last season he might even be better there than at CB but I wouldn't want him starting every week to find out - but there's no obvious backup on the other side.

Squad would be fairly large if we did get all of these but I would expect Lyon to move on permanently and at least one, if not both, of MacKenzie and Diack to go out on loan if so.

Edited by Fuctifano

14 hours ago, Its not only a game said:

Hope the boy does well.

Brown rightfully or badly never rated the boy. Didn’t see enough of him-he seems   to score great goals but others think he was not  be good defensively .

No idea- good for the boy joining a top team. Good on Brown- he only wants a certain type of player to join him that fits his style …..

interesting to find out who wins…

Interestingly, Brown was a (failed) winger originally, so will know a bit about it.

Would prioritise a CDM that’s good with the ball rather than a hatchet man style, RB + GK. 

We have a decent attacking core, so can add to that later once the back is sorted imo. 

I would imagine we basically have our starting XI at the club right now, with the exception of a right back. 

Aside from that we still need a number of covering signings to flesh the squad out. Namely; a keeper, a striker, a winger and another fullback. I imagine some of these vacancies will be filled once there are more players available on loan.

On 18/06/2024 at 14:45, third lanark said:

A few from down south? Presumably that won’t be till training starts, rather than them being at Firhill currently?

From what I have been told we have been/are looking at a couple of players from the lower leagues of England, League Two and National League level. If we are actually making any serious moves regarding signing them, I am unsure. 

Doolan going down that route is not too much of a surprise to me, as he had mentioned in the past having scouts in the English non-leagues and potentially looking there again for players. Additionally, last summer we had a few players on trial from down south. (Albeit, this was during the time when we were more strapped for cash than we are now)  

21 minutes ago, R&Y99 said:

From what I have been told we have been/are looking at a couple of players from the lower leagues of England, League Two and National League level. If we are actually making any serious moves regarding signing them, I am unsure. 

Doolan going down that route is not too much of a surprise to me, as he had mentioned in the past having scouts in the English non-leagues and potentially looking there again for players. Additionally, last summer we had a few players on trial from down south. (Albeit, this was during the time when we were more strapped for cash than we are now)  

I think one of the guys on trial last summer was Harrison Nee.

Have you heard anything about us being linked with Ashcroft?  

Edited by third lanark

5 hours ago, baba douche said:

Interestingly, Brown was a (failed) winger originally, so will know a bit about it.

Chalmers always comes across as a confidence player . Lee Bullen had faith in him and he played well-  Brown didn’t and his performances seemed to dip . Hope Doolan  gives him time as he certainly has something .

2 hours ago, cilitbang said:

Would prioritise a CDM that’s good with the ball rather than a hatchet man style, RB + GK. 

We have a decent attacking core, so can add to that later once the back is sorted imo. 

I presume Turner will be the CDM who’s good with the ball - like he played in the playoffs the season before last. Alongside McBeth, behind Robinson. 

13 minutes ago, third lanark said:

Rumours that we are trying to sign winger Dan MacKay on loan

He not going to QP?

MacKay seems like the type of player that’s done the rounds at quite a few clubs and maybe not found a club to get the best out of him. Could be a decent signing, at least experienced at this level for his age

Another winger (in addition to Chalmers and Fitzpatrick) is definitely required, especially with Lawless not due back until early 2025 and then we don’t know how the injury will affect him. 

Edited by JagsCG

18 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

He not going to QP?

The boy reporting it on Twitter has a track record of being ITK, so who knows.

As a third winger, it’d be some effort to be less effective than Wes McDonald was, so almost certainly an upgrade there.