The Partick Thistle thread

4 hours ago, Nizzy said:

The rumour doing the rounds on the bus home yesterday was that McDonald has a player/coach role sewn up at an Aussie club plus a job as a pundit.

He's been phenomenal. Who was the last Thistle player to make such a big impact in such a short space of time?

Dug us out a hole no question. I think Taylor’s the next most “impactful” short term recruit I reckon. One or two recruits have steadied the ship in key positions but not in raw goal terms. Prince Buaben was pretty critical in second half of the first season back up.

32 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I’ve seen Blair Henderson play a couple of times this season, and he’s basically just a lower league Kris Boyd. Can’t recall him ever once doing anything in the build up, just him getting on the end of chances. Considering how poor we have been at actually creating chances, I’m not sure he’d be any good for us.

That and I think he’s meant to have a pretty good job outside football, so may not be wanting to go full time.

A lower league Kris Boyd would do me fine. If he does sod all,other than score plenty of goals I cant see many jags fans complaining!!

Edited by Sting777

Weird season (and not just Cicero posting relentlessly about us, though he is definitely weird).  Terrible for the first half and OK for the second half, but still needing to win 3 of the last 4 to stay up, which we did.

Some good moments in that latter part, the win away at Alloa, Fitzy's last minute winner vs United, and then the whole of yesterday really.  Still an underachievement overall.

We lost zero goals in the last 5 minutes of games that affected the result, which compared to the last few seasons is unusual.

McDonald signing in February and probably being our player of the year was unusual

The whole Coulibaly situation was unusual

The envelopes, leaks, and SAS things... unusual.

But we've got an away day at Arbroath and Miles Storey being released (hopefully) to look forward to.

Anyway, on that note,  I think the squad is like this...

Under contract and obvious keeps

Sneddon

O’Ware

Penrice

Saunders

McGinty -What a turnaround the last few weeks, would have tried to move on until recently but deserved another crack. Only worry would be how much of it down to playing alongside Anderson

Bannigan

Fitzpatrick

Slater

Wilson (I guess, though he might be next year’s McCarthy)

Under Contract and would try and move on

Bell

Harkins – though as a Caldwell signing he’s probably here next year

Out of Contract and would try and keep

McDonald (no chance)

Spittal (rumour mill suggests he’s off)

Doolan (1 year player / coach role, not a guaranteed starter, hopefully this year is a blip and not a terminal decline)

Out of Contract and undecided

Cardle- wonder if Dunfermline will try and get him back. Played well in small bursts but injury prone-ness and age a concern 

Elliott- Can never fault him for effort but still don't think he's that good a defender, which given that he now appears to be a right back and a right back only is an issue

Loan players

Anderson- done well as a steady the ship job but 3 CBs already under contract for next year

Gordon- undecided. Out of contract at Motherwell, can’t see him breaking into their team and he basically missed 85% of this season. Chipped in with a couple of goals but when’s bad he’s awful.

Mansell- thanks for yesterday but too raw really. Wouldn’t totally surprise me if we signed him though

Hazard- I don’t think there’s much in it between him and Sneddon but I’ll take Sneddon

McMillan- see Anderson

Time to move on

McCarthy

Lennox

Filing Under A Bizarre Episode

Coulibaly

We’re Having A Party When They Get Released

Storey

Keown

Grass

Roy

Edited by Fuctifano

7 minutes ago, Thistle4eva said:

Where's Spittal rumoured to be going ?

Spittal was the 2nd last guy off the pitch yesterday after Dools. Think he is away. If he goes it would be great to get Tidser (few rumours about that yesterday) as a replacement. Good player and the seethe it would cause with Viking Ton, Port Ton, Ayrshire Ton and all the other Simple Tons over on the Morton thread would be fecking awesome...lol

Edited by Sting777

6 minutes ago, Sting777 said:

Spittal was the 2nd last guy off the pitch yesterday after Dools. Think he is away. If he goes it would be great to get Tidser (few rumours about that yesterday) as a replacement. Good player and the seethe it would cause with Viking Ton, Port Ton, Ayrshire Ton and all the other Simple Tons over on the Morton thread would be fecking awesome...lol

I think Tidser has a pre-contract agreement with Falkirk. Although, not sure that will go ahead in light of them going down. Agreed on the Morton seethe part though. 

I would be looking at Rudden as I don’t see him getting a chance at Rangers next season. 

Would go for Tidser and Telfer too, cause a little seethe and strengthen a weak midfield.

Quietly confident Caldwell will pull off decent loan signings with his contacts and having a more time to prepare for the window.

Not overly bothered if Spittal leaves, attacking players with pace are replaceable. 

I’d rather have someone more consistently good that Spittal anyway. The ability is definitely there, but he’s obviously a mentally weak player - seems to go through spells of having a really good few games and then one mistake and he’ll hide for months at a time.

Would take Tidser, as he’s always been a good player at this level. Think the Falkirk deal will probably still go through, though.

15 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

I’d rather have someone more consistently good that Spittal anyway. The ability is definitely there, but he’s obviously a mentally weak player - seems to go through spells of having a really good few games and then one mistake and he’ll hide for months at a time.

Would take Tidser, as he’s always been a good player at this level. Think the Falkirk deal will probably still go through, though.

Read there's a clause that he can pull out if they are relegated so surely he'll use it.

I've no evidence on the Tidser deal but it would be reasonable to think the deal would collapse or something in his agreement to pull out if they ended up in League 1 as i don't see Falkirk paying big wages to him now they are relegated anyway and have to trim down their wage bill, and he would be a decent signing for is if possible and if we act quick cos there are other admirers of his out there on the championship.

I've no evidence on the Tidser deal but it would be reasonable to think the deal would collapse or something in his agreement to pull out if they ended up in League 1 as i don't see Falkirk paying big wages to him now they are relegated anyway and have to trim down their wage bill, and he would be a decent signing for is if possible and if we act quick cos there are other admirers of his out there on the championship.
sorry just noticed the previous post from mine

1 minute ago, Fuctifano said:

Guess I can retire the old avatar for now

image.png.de44ebe5970ac10013586fdf4b6d22f6.png

Ah man, I should really change the King of the North looking rather forlorn to something a bit more chipper but I don't want to tempt fate.

1 hour ago, cilitbang said:

I would be looking at Rudden as I don’t see him getting a chance at Rangers next season. 

Would go for Tidser and Telfer too, cause a little seethe and strengthen a weak midfield.

Quietly confident Caldwell will pull off decent loan signings with his contacts and having a more time to prepare for the window.

Not overly bothered if Spittal leaves, attacking players with pace are replaceable. 

Agreed, Rudden would be a good shout especially if we cant persuade Skippy to stay!

55 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

The interview where he confirms theres a break clause if they're relegated, had a tone of him not wanting to join them in League One.

29 minutes ago, thistledo said:

Ah man, I should really change the King of the North looking rather forlorn to something a bit more chipper but I don't want to tempt fate.

Tormund please. Nothing better to cheer you up when you see his sexy face :wub:

7 hours ago, Nizzy said:

The rumour doing the rounds on the bus home yesterday was that McDonald has a player/coach role sewn up at an Aussie club plus a job as a pundit.

He's been phenomenal. Who was the last Thistle player to make such a big impact in such a short space of time?

That wouldn't be a massive surprise tbh. He's been angling for a move back to Australia for the past few seasons. I seem to recall Burrows mentioning in an interview that he was supposed to be heading out there when we brought him back in the 14/15 season when we ended up in the play-off.

There were at least 2 approaches for him that I can recall in the 16/17 season:

“I was keen as mustard. He (Popovic) tried to get me at the start of the season, it just never worked out — Motherwell weren’t willing to budge.

“Then in the January we thought we could get it over the line, and so did I. It went all the way to the very last minute of the window and even then Motherwell were threatening relegation, they didn’t want to let me go.

“It was a huge disappointment for me and my family because Western Sydney were willing to give me a longer term deal, a fresh start and a great opportunity for me to ply my trade in the A-League and really go and show people what they’ve not seen of me”.

Fox