The Partick Thistle thread

He had a few good games with us but could be totally invisible. He liked to drop deep and hit long passes to varied effect, but when he was played further forward he just fired in loads of shots, which isn't always the best thing. If he plays a good chunk of the season he will score at least one belter.

I liked Reece Cole, but he’s a shitebag and can be completely invisible.

I also remember a moment when we were about 3 or 4 nil down at home, and the ball ran out to him on the edge of the box but instead of hitting it he did a stupid step over thing and let it run to absolutely nobody and I don’t think I’ve ever been more annoyed at a footballer. 

11 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

Seems that reality isn't accepted by a few Jags fans on here.

The reality is McCall has literally just got us promoted.

Not a single person is claiming he is the messiah, or indeed that he has been that great since his appointment. But given our promotion he deserves a little leeway for the next few months at least.

Your blind refusal to accept any good McCall has done is just you being a bit of a tit.

1 minute ago, Jacky1990 said:

Not a single person is claiming he is the messiah, or indeed that he has been that great since his appointment. But given our promotion he deserves a little leeway for the next few months at least.

Your blind refusal to accept any good McCall has done is just you being a bit of a tit.

@Highlandmagyar Tier 3 would find a way to turn us winning the Champions League into something to moan about, it’s his whole thing.

Well two games into the competitive stuff and tbh after Dunfermline would be amazed if we go any further. Still it's great stuff looking forward to the season considering where we were a few months ago. Defence needs improvement and Brownlie being out is bad news. Bit of work organisationally needed for sure.

Loads of plusses though. Tiff is here and Graham and Rudden will get goals in this league. A good chance in the next two to tighten things up before the League starts.

21 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

Really? The guy who got us into League 1 in the first place because he made an arse of it in the Championship,  he has only taken us back to where, with him in charge, we should never have left.

2 hours ago, VinnyPar said:

Reece Cole is training with us apparently, I know he was in a pretty rancid thistle team but what’s he like overall? Is it as simple as, “can hit a free kick”?

Can be great but games can also pass him by. Definitely has great technique from free kicks and likes shots from long range (not bad if it’s his day and they go in). He can only really play in a midfield 3 I think, we played him in a midfield 2 quite a few times and his contribution was far less than when he’s in a 3 and has more freedom. 

Really? The guy who got us into League 1 in the first place because he made an arse of it in the Championship,  he has only taken us back to where, with him in charge, we should never have left.

Are you Simon Stainrod?

McCall isn’t exactly a popular figure amongst Ayr fans anymore (although most of the hatred has died down quite a bit) but no one dislikes him as much as you.

5 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Are you Simon Stainrod?

McCall isn’t exactly a popular figure amongst Ayr fans anymore (although most of the hatred has died down quite a bit) but no one dislikes him as much as you.

We all have our likes and dislikes.

41 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

I thought you said elsewhere that Caldwell and Archibald had also played a part in getting us demoted?

you also previously said it was a controversial decision that got us relegated 

14 minutes ago, third lanark said:

I thought you said elsewhere that Caldwell and Archibald had also played a part in getting us demoted?

you also previously said it was a controversial decision that got us relegated 

As I have explained before,and you obviously are deliberately ignoring it, Archibald and Caldwell played a part and it was a controversial decision to decide who went down. But, frankly we should never have been in that position in the first place. McCall got better results with the squad he inherited from Caldwell than his own signings in the January window. The likes of Barjonas,O'Connor and McKinnon were dreadful signings. So as it was his signings in January were we actually got worse, then McCall, effectively took us down.

11 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

As I have explained before,and you obviously are deliberately ignoring it, Archibald and Caldwell played a part and it was a controversial decision to decide who went down. But, frankly we should never have been in that position in the first place. McCall got better results with the squad he inherited from Caldwell than his own signings in the January window. The likes of Barjonas,O'Connor and McKinnon were dreadful signings. So as it was his signings in January were we actually got worse, then McCall, effectively took us down.

If anything about last season taught us is that the season isn’t finished before the final scheduled game. Actually a lesson that should have been learned the season before we got demoted.

5 hours ago, VinnyPar said:

Reece Cole is training with us apparently, I know he was in a pretty rancid thistle team but what’s he like overall? Is it as simple as, “can hit a free kick”?

I would question is mental ability rather than his footballing ability, could do well in a team that is winning but if the going gets tough you might struggle to find him on the pitch

6 hours ago, VinnyPar said:

Very good on the ball but the game passes him by too often.

6 hours ago, VinnyPar said:

The last game before lock down he was infuriating. Tried to shoot from absolute everywhere and when shooting was the better option he chose to pass. Scored some belters though.

Having said that, from what I remember Tommy Robson was unplayable in that game so maybe my opinion means nothing.