The Partick Thistle thread

A 5th centre back and another midfielder* suggests to me we're playing 3-5-2 next year. Or probably 4-4-2 with about 5 folk out of position.

*I've read the article a couple of times but not sure if the loan midfielder and the "makes forward runs" midfielder are the same guy, I think they are.

2 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

A 5th centre back and another midfielder* suggests to me we're playing 3-5-2 next year. Or probably 4-4-2 with about 5 folk out of position.

*I've read the article a couple of times but not sure if the loan midfielder and the "makes forward runs" midfielder are the same guy, I think they are.

Charlie Adam. Lol

Could Csmmy Ballantyne (who has just left Montrose and is looking for FT football) be our future right back.

Like Harry Milne at Left Back many consider Ballantyne the best right back in League One.

A back line of Ballantyne,   Mayo,  Holt, and Milne would be excellent with Akinola and Muirhead as cover. Looks solid.

16 minutes ago, Exiledjag said:

Could Csmmy Ballantyne (who has just left Montrose and is looking for FT football) be our future right back.

Like Harry Milne at Left Back many consider Ballantyne the best right back in League One.

A back line of Ballantyne,   Mayo,  Holt, and Milne would be excellent with Akinola and Muirhead as cover. Looks solid.

I thought Ballantyne was signing for Arbroath 

34 minutes ago, third lanark said:

I thought Ballantyne was signing for Arbroath 

Montrose’s statement specifically mentioned him wanting to seek an opportunity in full time football, so won’t be them.

Rumours of it being Airdrie though, which would be a weird move if he’s got options in this division. 

1 hour ago, Fuctifano said:

I also think that the loan midfielder is the one who makes runs forward. Based on nothing, I’ll guess at it being Stephen Kelly from Rangers. 

10 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I also think that the loan midfielder is the one who makes runs forward. Based on nothing, I’ll guess at it being Stephen Kelly from Rangers. 

Was going to say it'll probably be someone from Rangers, couldn't really be arsed running through their youth squad. McCall obviously brown - nosing as well as blue-nosing last midweek. Kelly would fit the bill given his previous spell at Ayr under McCall but he was on loan in the Premiership 2 years ago so obviously hasn't kicked on, which might be a concern.

Similarly Mayo really needs to play in the Premiership or down South, coming back for another year in the Championship with us or anyone else would be a poor step for him, though it would clearly be good for us.

Edited by Fuctifano

7 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Montrose’s statement specifically mentioned him wanting to seek an opportunity in full time football, so won’t be them.

Rumours of it being Airdrie though, which would be a weird move if he’s got options in this division. 

Did Kelly not score a decent amount of goals at Ayr for a midfielder? Think I recall Ayr fans rating him highly at the time

12 minutes ago, third lanark said:

Did Kelly not score a decent amount of goals at Ayr for a midfielder? Think I recall Ayr fans rating him highly at the time

Excellent player for us  , any Ayr fan would take him back in a heartbeat 

20 minutes ago, third lanark said:

Aye he’s very good. Done well Salford. Would love for us to sign him on a permanent deal but suspect he’ll be looking further up the food than ourselves and Thistle. 

Aye Kelly would probably be one of the best midfielders in the league if he signed for you lot. Can play as a 10 or an 8 easily.

He scored the winner with a peach of a goal against you lot in one of Gary Caldewells last game. We beat you 3-2 at Firhill after Shea Gordon and Stuart Bannigan got sent off. One of the few goals Kris Doolan scored for us as well.

2 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

McCall in the Evening Times saying he hopes to have Mayo back on loan and it's up to him now. Also looking at a midfielder who gets forward plus needing a right back and competition for Sneddon.

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/sport/20162939.ian-mccall-talks-rangers-lewis-mayo-deal-thistle-close-two-signings/

The midfielder is probably McInroy

9 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

He scored the winner with a peach of a goal against you lot in one of Gary Caldewells last game. We beat you 3-2 at Firhill after Shea Gordon and Stuart Bannigan got sent off. One of the few goals Kris Doolan scored for us as well.

Might also have been Dario Zanatta’s debut for us? One of the rare occasions where he was actually very good, unfortunately he was dreadful after that. 

Might also have been Dario Zanatta’s debut for us? One of the rare occasions where he was actually very good, unfortunately he was dreadful after that. 

Was either his debut or a very early game as McCall admitted post match that we very nearly signed him but Partick offered better terms at the last minute.

He destroyed Andy Geggan in that game and every time he got the ball, even on the half way line I was shitting myself for what he was going to do.

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

Was either his debut or a very early game as McCall admitted post match that we very nearly signed him but Partick offered better terms at the last minute.

He destroyed Andy Geggan in that game and every time he got the ball, even on the half way line I was shitting myself for what he was going to do.

Sadly after that game for whatever reason zanatta just didn’t look interested any more and his attitude seemed to me to be appalling the rest of the time with us

Sadly after that game for whatever reason zanatta just didn’t look interested any more and his attitude seemed to me to be appalling the rest of the time with us

I don’t think we ever got a performance out him that was as good as his debut for Partick.

If I’m being kind to him then Mark Kerr didn’t show much patience with him and only ever really played him as a striker which I don’t think he’s suited to in the way we wanted him to play. He gets no sympathy from me purely for the way he basically announced he was fucking off in the summer to join Raith whilst we were up to our necks in a relegation fight.