The Partick Thistle thread

Tuesday 13th December, 2022 at 10:37am

Following the first meeting of the new Board of Partick Thistle FC on Monday, the club is pleased to confirm the appointment of Duncan Smillie as interim chair until the end of the season.

This appointment helps add stability and business continuity to the new board of directors as they work together in unity through the rest of the year and into 2023.

While we anticipate another update soon as we further strengthen the interim Board, for now all attentions remain firmly focussed on Saturday’s cinch Championship home match against Ayr United.

On 10/12/2022 at 17:28, third lanark said:

I think this game maybe our biggest crowd of the season so far so might be worth putting it on or at the very least putting sheets over the grass

I fancy this game. The problem is that won't it get called off if the surrounding streets are icy? I'm sure that's happened before. 

We played well yesterday. Only one thing of concern though is the amount of standing off players near our box that we constantly do.. the amount of space and time we consistently give away is shocking.. Both of their goals yday were belters but both came from almost identical situations on the outside edge of the box.

Congratulations...

to STEVEN LAWLESS who has moved outright into our 'All Games' All-Time Top 50 scorers (with 48)

to BRIAN GRAHAM who has moved outright into our 'League' All-Time Top 50 scorers (with 33)

Forget the #10 in Qatar, it's all about the #11 versus the #9 in Maryhill. The race is on to reach the All=Time Top 50 Competitive chart. Who will be the 50th Jag to reach 50 goals? Our 3-way goals charts → are constantly updated and cover all 11,545 goals in PTFC history. Top 50 ascents beckon from all angles!

Most of the post-Ayr updates are now in place keep the home page → bookmarked for all the latest news and updates...

race.png

Considering how many times we tried to get Graham before he did sign it does seem a bit of what might have been in terms of where he could have ended up on the all time charts, though there's the flip side of him maybe signing in a different team e.g. Archibald's post-relegation team and being muck.

From players in the last 30 years both Graham and Lawless only have Britton, Roberts, Erskine and Doolan ahead of them in competitive game goals, and if Graham stays fit til the end of his contract he should pass the first three.

On another note, there's only one more game before the January window opens; I've seen Jamie Murphy linked on one of the facebook pages which would make sense in terms of a positional need if not signing another sicknote, and whatever business we do might well be impacted by the actual state of the finances if they differ from what the previous board made them out to be.

As I said on the Ayr game thread I think Akinola might go as it just looks like he needs a fresh start and you could make the same argument for Smith though it's inevitable that if he goes to another team in this division he'll rediscover his old form for Ayr / St Mirren. We've needed a shit-kicking midfielder since Abdul Osman turned into a hat salesman but we won't sign one as McCall won't ever break up Bannigan and Docherty, and we'd need another CB if Tunji goes as I don't trust 2 of our other CBs to stay fit for half a season.

Jamie Murphy is a skilled player but would only be useful if he wasn’t a constant injury. We definitely need another wide option though, as much as Tiffoney on his day is outstanding he can’t be relied upon due to continuous injuries. Could definitely see Akinola move on, I guess we might still make a move for Shaughnessy from St. Mirren. 

Fully expect Akinola to be away and another CB coming in. It’s a shame how it’s panned out with Tunji. He was excellent when he first joined and I was very pleasantly surprised when he signed a new deal but since he was bizarrely sent off vs Airdrie he looks a different player and lacks confidence.

I’m sure we would all love it if we shifted Smith. I’d be okay with both Rangers loanees and Mullen leaving too.

Edited by Reid

1 hour ago, Reid said:

l'm sure we would all love it if we shifted Smith. I’d be okay with both Rangers loanees and Mullen leaving too.

I think Weston will likely be away as he isn't getting a huge amount of game time and the bosses at ibrox probably want him playing a bit more. Smith we'd all gladly see leave. I still think Mullen can be useful but he might want to try somewhere different

I wouldn't be massively surprised if we ended up with Zak Lovelace or Robbie Ure coming in to replace Weston unless McCall's contacts at Ibrox are gone.

Considering the old board (whilst throwing McCall under the bus) thought Robbie Crawford, Kyle McAllister, a weird loan swap for Jakubiak, Firth and Alegria was pushing the boat out and was the reason for a 6 figure operating loss I'm not holding out much hope of us getting much decent in this window.

Edited by Pie Of The Month