The Partick Thistle thread

18 hours ago, JagsCG said:

Jamie Murphy is a skilled player but would only be useful if he wasn’t a constant injury. We definitely need another wide option though, as much as Tiffoney on his day is outstanding he can’t be relied upon due to continuous injuries. Could definitely see Akinola move on, I guess we might still make a move for Shaughnessy from St. Mirren. 

While decent a couple of years ago looks if Murphy is pretty injury prone then it looks like another Kyle mccallister type signing.  Really hope that we are not going to have a repeat of last Januarys terrible transfer window.

Though as has been posted we might not even have enough money at all for any signings

Correct me if I'm wrong but I was led to believe our former Directors / Board were deciding where the money our club earned was going opposed to them actually putting their hands in their own pockets so I don't think the financial level of the club is any different than when they were there or they are now. Also I don't think any of our sponsors or the like have even considered pulling the plug so nothing changes.

8 hours ago, jaggyness said:

I think Weston will likely be away as he isn't getting a huge amount of game time and the bosses at ibrox probably want him playing a bit more. Smith we'd all gladly see leave. 

I think McCall said in pre-season that he didn't expect Weston to play much in the first half of the season, due to the step up from the Lowland League as well as the fact he's only 18/19. That would suggest both the player and Rangers were of similar understanding, therefore I reckon he'll be here until the summer. Agree about Smith I'd definitely be looking to let him go. 

2 hours ago, colliedug said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I was led to believe our former Directors / Board were deciding where the money our club earned was going opposed to them actually putting their hands in their own pockets so I don't think the financial level of the club is any different than when they were there or they are now.

I think you're correct, Jacqui & Co were not actually putting money into the club. 

11 hours ago, colliedug said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I was led to believe our former Directors / Board were deciding where the money our club earned was going opposed to them actually putting their hands in their own pockets so I don't think the financial level of the club is any different than when they were there or they are now. Also I don't think any of our sponsors or the like have even considered pulling the plug so nothing changes.

In her resignation speech, I think she made some reference to the conflict between the board and the fans affecting the sponsors. But who knows.

12 hours ago, colliedug said:

They didn't put their own money in that we know of but last season we had non-recurring income such as the Queen's Park rent and potentially the final payments of grants due to COVID so in theory we could be in a worse position than last season.

Reading between the lines the fact we have announced sponsors in the last week or so which are from the business of 1 of the trustees (the Specsaves deal) and then a joint venture between the Foundation and the Trust I think both fan organisations are hinting the finances aren't great.

5 hours ago, jagsfan57 said:

In her resignation speech, I think she made some reference to the conflict between the board and the fans affecting the sponsors. But who knows.

They suggested sponsors were put off by the "fake news". Whilst I suspect that was intended as a cheap shot at fans on their way out the door, it just as equally reflects how little clout the board had with potential sponsors if they had lost control over that so called false narrative.

I imagine we might lose some sponsors who were Low's pals. Marie Macklin for one liked to white knight for Low on twitter and claim misogyny on her behalf and Macklin Motors sponsor the centenary fund car prize draw.

You'd have to think 90% of people who sponsor a club like Thistle though as just fans who own a business or just a local company like the Woodside and others do.

Edited by Pie Of The Month

On 20/12/2022 at 13:22, Pie Of The Month said:

I imagine we might lose some sponsors who were Low's pals. Marie Macklin for one liked to white knight for Low on twitter and claim misogyny on her behalf and Macklin Motors sponsor the centenary fund car prize draw.

You'd have to think 90% of people who sponsor a club like Thistle though as just fans who own a business or just a local company like the Woodside and others do.

Marie Macklin's into construction and urban regeneration rather than cars. 

A very Merry Christmas to all Jagskind, with much red and yellow love from The Thistle Archive; Donnie, Jack, Joe, Michael, Niall, Stuart & William ❤️ 💛

That said, the Partickle being published today - an 8 minute read - is not so cheery. The piece was first published on the WeAreThistle forum 9 years ago to the day and it now comes with a number of extra photies.

Thistle finally won a League game at Firhill on Christmas Day 1909, but as events unfolded the result was of little consequence as an opponent lost his life. It was a great tragedy that will cloud the Partick Thistle history books forever. It's an honour to dedicate this piece to the memory of James Main.

A Fatal Christmas: In Memory of James Main →

fatal-8.jpg

Great news for Thistle history enthusiasts, we've hit another big milestone...

... 1,300 dates of birth established for Partick Thistle first-team players!

Willie Gowans played in Alec Raisbeck's benefit in early 1914, the team line for which is now looking good - and fully pictured!

willie-gowans-9.jpg

17 minutes ago, Reid said:

McCall saying Stanway is going on-loan to Airdrie, Akinola is free to go, he expects Weston to leave as he wants more minutes and that he wants Hodson to stay if finances allow it.

No to Hodson for me personally as don’t think he has contributed enough.

No mention of Smith - who personally I think should be moved on, maybe would come good with a fresh start elsewhere 

The reality of where we are and the fact the purses seem to be tightening throughout the division means we arent in a position to have good, experienced cover for every position.

Having someone like Hodson who can fill in both full back positions, even if he isnt the best, hopefully allows what budget we have to be spent elsewhere. I'd keep him provided he isnt on too much of a wage.

Smith, on the other hand, seems like a bit of a waste of a wage right now. 

Edited by Jacky1990

I don't think Smith will be going anywhere. I Mac seems to genuinely rate him. Must be good in training.

Good that we are getting back to full a quota of players.

Definitely reads like it'll be a quiet January unless there is some wheeling and dealing done to free up some space in the playing budget.

Hodson filled a shirt during the injury crisis but mostly as a makeshift midfielder. 

The two Rangers loanees have shown in flashes and I'd be happy enough to see them stay.

I reserve the right to negate all this and have a rant if we get a bad result tomorrow 😂

On Hodson, I can’t see us bringing in a better full back that either Milne or McMillan, and any decent player is unlikely to want to come and sit on a bench in the Scottish Championship. I think Hodson is about as good as we’ll get for that role, and he’s at least a known quantity. 

Hodson’s versatility despite his limitations as a footballer means I’d keep him for the rest of the season. It doesn’t seem like we’ll be looking to do much January business which is not a particularly big surprise. I’d keep Weston but as McCall suggests he may wish to go and get more game time elsewhere (dropping down to L1 would probably be good for him). Loaning Stanway out to Airdrie could be a really good move for him, hopefully he gets the game time. 

ETA; if we could get a couple of the out of contract players (Tiffoney, Turner etc.) on new deals in the near future that would be good. 

Edited by JagsCG

3 hours ago, jagfox said:

Magnificent player in his first stint, less said about his second the better. Best performance at Firhill though was possibly for the opposition, Thistle v Dundee in the snow a few years ago best player on the pitch by a mile.