The Partick Thistle thread

On the one hand, shit to lose a promising young player so early. On the other hand, they might not go on to become anything. Difficult to say. 

Still, hope would be that he’s good, stays and breaks through a bit, and we sell him later. Expect Fitzpatrick will let him know what to expect in English academies - but hard to sniff at the likely money. 

4 minutes ago, Mediocre Pundit said:

On the one hand, shit to lose a promising young player so early. On the other hand, they might not go on to become anything. Difficult to say. 

Still, hope would be that he’s good, stays and breaks through a bit, and we sell him later. Expect Fitzpatrick will let him know what to expect in English academies - but hard to sniff at the likely money. 

I deleted the post as I realised the tweet I was quoting was from March , was wondering what teams were doing playing friendlies at this time. But yeah, Loney will probably be off sooner rather than later if he's having trials with EPL clubs

Loney will be away I’m sure. According to @The Thistle Archive he’s been with us since under 11s at least, so hopefully we’ll get a good deal on him and if he turns out very good then we’ll get a good bit out of him in future.

At least we got to see him make his debut, but I don’t imagine he’s quite ready to make an impact in the first team regularly. 

15 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

At least we got to see him make his debut, but I don’t imagine he’s quite ready to make an impact in the first team regularly. 

I agree it is likely too soon to see him make the step up to the first team, although I suppose Fitzpatrick was only one year older during his breakthrough season than Loney is now.

I am not clued in on his deal with the club, but if he is still at the club next season we could maybe seen him promoted through the modern apprentice scheme and potentially loaned out? 

12 hours ago, Mediocre Pundit said:

What happened to the Weir academy player that Rangers ? bought last season or the season before. I have forgotten his name.

1 hour ago, jagsfan57 said:

What happened to the Weir academy player that Rangers ? bought last season or the season before. I have forgotten his name.

Pretty sure he was released/chose to leave there in January sort of time? 

In other news I see we're being linked with yet another midfielder in McKinstry from QP along with dunfermline and Carlisle 

1 hour ago, jagsfan57 said:

Cammy Cooper? If so he was at Oxford United recently, not sure if he's still there.

7 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

New one year contract for David Mitchell.

Happy enough. He’s a competent if unspectacular championship goalkeeper.

Hopefully we’re still looking for a new first choice. 

5 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Happy enough. He’s a competent if unspectacular championship goalkeeper.

Hopefully we’re still looking for a new first choice. 

I don’t see any reason why we should be handing the gloves off to someone else next season and tbh, Mitchell will be our first choice keeper next season otherwise he is unlikely to have signed.

1 minute ago, BigMadMental said:

I don’t see any reason why we should be handing the gloves off to someone else next season and tbh, Mitchell will be our first choice keeper next season otherwise he is unlikely to have signed.

Because I believe that we could do better.

I doubt Mitchell was inundated with better offers than ours, irrespective of whether he’s going to be first choice or not.  

Thought his agent wasn't going to do business with us again (apart from Milne) after we didn't play Dowds?

Mitchell is OK, fine with him as backup but I'd be looking for at least another keeper, obviously no idea about whether this Leicester keeper rumour is true, I know Alan Nixon is a Thistle fan but his hit rate of rumours coming true is pretty low, astonished folk pay for his Patreon.

I don't think Mitchell makes as many obvious howlers as Sneddon or Stewart but there's goals he can do better, like the Raith goal in the playoff second leg it went pretty much in the middle of the goal but he just sort of fell over near it.

Just now, oneteaminglasgow said:

I doubt Mitchell was inundated with better offers than ours, irrespective of whether he’s going to be first choice or not.  

You believe we can do better, based on what evidence? 

As mentioned - 1 in 3 clean sheets?

wheres this better championship level keeper people speak of? Some wee guy from Leicester?

16 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I agree with this. He's bang average and I was hoping the new guy might be an upgrade.  At least Mitchell is now playing for us after being "injured" for most of last season (injury to agent's pride?) forcing us to field Stewart, with predictably slapstick results.

1 in 3 clean sheets is OK, but Sneddon set a new record for consecutive clean sheets not all tha long ago and no-one's claiming he's the new Lev Yashin.

Just now, VictorOnopko said:

I agree with this. He's bang average and I was hoping the new guy might be an upgrade.  At least Mitchell is now playing for us after being "injured" for most of last season (injury to agent's pride?) forcing us to field Stewart, with predictably slapstick results.

1 in 3 clean sheets is OK, but Sneddon set a new record for consecutive clean sheets not all tha long ago and no-one's claiming he's the new Lev Yashin.

Clean sheets is a pretty pish measure for evaluating keepers alone, you could have a brilliant keeper being forced to save 20 shots a game or a shit one who doesn't have to get his gloves dirty because the defence is brilliant.

4 minutes ago, BigMadMental said:

You believe we can do better, based on what evidence? 

As mentioned - 1 in 3 clean sheets?

wheres this better championship level keeper people speak of? Some wee guy from Leicester?

A pair of human eyes.

For my money, at least four sides in the league had a better keeper than Mitchell last season. Queen’s Park, Raith, Morton and Dundee United. 

The “wee guy from Leicester” might or might not sign for us, and might or might not be better than Mitchell - I don’t know, and nor do you. But the idea that there’s no possible way we could find an improvement is laughable.