The Partick Thistle thread

Wonder if signing another winger instead of a striker means we're edging away from using the 352, as it already renders Lawless and Amoo pretty defunct without throwing another winger in on top of that.

If you say we've replaced Gordon with Dumbuya, McDaid with Banton, have got Nisbet back as 3rd striker and swapped 3rd choice goalies whilst letting a few young guys go out on loan then it's a solid enough window in that we're not weaker.

47 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Wonder if signing another winger instead of a striker means we're edging away from using the 352, as it already renders Lawless and Amoo pretty defunct without throwing another winger in on top of that.

If you say we've replaced Gordon with Dumbuya, McDaid with Banton, have got Nisbet back as 3rd striker and swapped 3rd choice goalies whilst letting a few young guys go out on loan then it's a solid enough window in that we're not weaker.

Keown in as well as an additional CB. We're definitely stronger after the window, even if there was no "wow" signing. Not that I'd guess anyone was really expecting one, anyway.

Slightly concerned that Killie and ICT have signed goal scorers during the window with Sammon and McKay. Though I'm not sure Sammon is the player he was.

McKay seems to be exactly what ICT are missing up front, so I can see them lifting themselves out of the bottom three fairly easily.

Means we need to keep our good run going.

29 minutes ago, Griff Sheridan said:

Slightly concerned that Killie and ICT have signed goal scorers during the window with Sammon and McKay. Though I'm not sure Sammon is the player he was.

McKay seems to be exactly what ICT are missing up front, so I can see them lifting themselves out of the bottom three fairly easily.

Means we need to keep our good run going.

This season:

Connor Sammon- 1 goal in 19 league games, check the Hearts thread on here, they're delighted to bin him.

Billy McKay- 0 goals in 27 league games. Was mince in a relegated United team last year, and half his goals were penalties.

They could go back to their old clubs and spark something but no guarantees.

So realistically the window saw:

• Gordon out, Keown in (loan)
  • McDaid out, Banton in (loan)
  • Stuckmann out, Ridgers in
  • Dumbuya (unfit but injury return)
  • Syme out
  • Penrice out (loan)
  • Wilson out (loan)
  • Nisbet in (loan return)

Have I missed anyone?

The way I see it, that's no real unreplaced losses from the actual first team, and probably a slightly better balanced squad by positions, with a more dedicated regular centre-back replacing a utility defender. It means Elliott is more likely to be used as generic wing-back cover rather than for right wing-back. Provided Banton isn't a Moncur or a Mukendi he should at least be chapping on the door for games more than McDaid.

Missed the 2 development squad loans in McMullin / Docherty but they were unlikely to be near the 1st team except in extreme injury crisis. Archie said in one of his interviews regarding Gordon going that Elliott is a "converted right back". Booth and Muzzy will clearly be first picks at FB / WB when fit but handy to have Elliott to cover both sides.