The Partick Thistle thread

People tend to piss and moan about Lawless which is unfair because the vast majority of games he provides great defensive help to Booth (he was also carrying a hip injury for most of last season too iirc). Some people will only be happy if he is scoring a 25 yard screamer ever week.

He could quite easily score more goals if he goes into buisiness for himself but that would result in us losing a lot more goals down the left side.

A few quick thoughts on last night, if I may.
- Penrice was given a very tough test in an unfamiliar role and he passed with flying colours.
- I'm a huge fan of Barton, but too often he puts us under unnecessary pressure by being too casual with his distribution. 
- Christie Elliot is seriously threatening to make the right wing back position his own.  He was always a competent enough stop gap, but he's becoming a much more rounded player.
- Edwards was a nightmare. Constantly giving the ball away and running around with no real purpose. He was the same at Livingston.
- Spittal is looking like a tremendous signing. He just seems like a perfect fit for our system. Link up play between him, Lawless, Erskine and Doolan was a joy to watch at times in the first half.
- Lawless has impressed me more than anyone in the League Cup games so far. I'm hoping he can be a lot more consistent this season.

Very much this. If I added anything it would be was disappointed with Erskine last night but not willing to give him a hard time, could have just had an off night. Other thing I thought about Edwards was how much the pace of our play slowed everytime he received the ball

Jay McEveley leaving Ross County by mutual agreement. Left-sided defender with international experience. Maybe he (and his wife and kids) would fancy Glasgow more than Dingwall?

right type of player but wrong name and age

35 minutes ago, Griff Sheridan said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we started the season with the squad we have, with the obvious gaps it has, and try to pick up players in January. Something tells me we'd have brought in any proper targets by now.

Really hope not. Even at this early stage of the season it's blatantly obvious how short we are. The bench has been full of weans for every game.

I wouldn't be surprised if we started the season with the squad we have, with the obvious gaps it has, and try to pick up players in January. Something tells me we'd have brought in any proper targets by now.

Some of our fans (not just you) seem to have lost their minds this summer. Every season under Archie we have brought in players at the end of the window, either permanent or on loan - there is zero reason to think that we would have brought in all 'proper' targets by now. What does 'proper' even mean - availability changes and I expect our targets to change with that.

I expect Archie to target the best players available - players who can help push us on in league and cup. I expect these same players to have confidence in their ability and not to drop their pants the second Partick Thistle express an interest. I expect we'll miss out on more players than we get. And I expect that early in the season we'll have signed at least another centre half and centre forward who provide additional strength to the squad - because Archie took his time and used our limited budget on the best players possible.

I guess I should also expect another few weeks of nonsense on here as fans shout for us to sign someone, anyone. Even Jay fucking McEveley.