The Partick Thistle thread

12 minutes ago, mrcat1990 said:

The available striker slot we're trying to fill is always going to be a tough one. We're seeking someone who is happy to play second fiddle to Doolan and the only players that are happy to fit that bill are young unproven guys in lower leagues/youth squad or players that have failed in leagues considered better than ours. Basically means we're likely to probably always end up with a bit of a haddie as a second striker.

How does that work?   Almost every Striker we've brought in over the last few seasons has started for us with Doolan relegated to the bench

The available striker slot we're trying to fill is always going to be a tough one. We're seeking someone who is happy to play second fiddle to Doolan...

Nonsense.

1 hour ago, mrcat1990 said:

The available striker slot we're trying to fill is always going to be a tough one. We're seeking someone who is happy to play second fiddle to Doolan and the only players that are happy to fit that bill are young unproven guys in lower leagues/youth squad or players that have failed in leagues considered better than ours. Basically means we're likely to probably always end up with a bit of a haddie as a second striker.

No point in wasting a wage then, if that's the case. Just keep bringing on the weans.

How does that work?   Almost every Striker we've brought in over the last few seasons has started for us with Doolan relegated to the bench

Baird had a few chances and was shite. Lyle Taylor was an exception. Doolan started the season Azeez joined and from memory Pogba was the same. Can't be arsed looking through game records at the moment but do correct me if I'm wrong.

Nonsense.

Do you think we're seeking someone better than Doolan?

I don't mean in the sense that we are actively seeking a shite back up. I just don't think we are in the fortunate enough position to sign strikers that will rival or better Doolan. I would imagine Doolan is first choice in Archies plans at present, something I am okay with, and therefore whoever we are looking to add will probably come from the "iffy down south ala Azeez and Pogba" or youth player looking for a chance pool.

The thread got me thinking - a player who came to mind was David Goodwillie; more of a physical player than Doolan, he'd surely be happier/we could offer him a better wage as a rotation player with us than he's on at Clyde, and he'd surely be guaranteed to get us a better goal return than a Pogba/Eccleston/Azeez type signing.

There's, ah, wholly reasonable question marks over how palatable that'd be to the support of course...

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

The thread got me thinking - a player who came to mind was David Goodwillie; more of a physical player than Doolan, he'd surely be happier/we could offer him a better wage as a rotation player with us than he's on at Clyde, and he'd surely be guaranteed to get us a better goal return than a Pogba/Eccleston/Azeez type signing.
There's, ah, wholly reasonable question marks over how palatable that'd be to the support of course...

Think he signed a long term deal with Clyde this Summer. Seems happy to be playing football outside the spotlight tbh.

24 minutes ago, cilitbang said:

Pretty gutted about Erwin, says in his interview that LM made more of an effort to get him. Hopefully Archie has a player or two above him on his striker wishlist.

Fairly certain "effort" relates to £££, there's very few footballers who'll say "yeah, everyone in for me was much of a muchness but this lot offered me 10% more so obviously I came here"