The Partick Thistle thread

I'd take staying in the league over a cup win, then that way you get to play the best teams in Scotland with bigger crowds so the club makes more money plus it's easier to qualify for Europe if you're in the top league because you only need to finish 4th(and hope one of the 3 above you wins the Scottish Cup) whereas if you were in the Championship then you'd need to get past the likes of Celtic and Aberdeen to win the Scottish Cup and get the last Europa League place.

Edited by MARYHILLISWONDERFUL

I'd take staying in the league over a cup win, then that way you get to play the best teams in Scotland with bigger crowds so the club makes more money plus it's easier to qualify for Europe if you're in the top league because you only need to finish 4th(and hope one of the 3 above you wins the Scottish Cup) whereas if you were in the Championship then you'd need to get past the likes of Celtic and Aberdeen.

What?

14 minutes ago, MARYHILLISWONDERFUL said:

I'd take staying in the league over a cup win, then that way you get to play the best teams in Scotland with bigger crowds so the club makes more money plus it's easier to qualify for Europe if you're in the top league because you only need to finish 4th(and hope one of the 3 above you wins the Scottish Cup) whereas if you were in the Championship then you'd need to get past the likes of Celtic and Aberdeen.

Image result for que meme

On 2017-7-23 at 12:28, Fuctifano said:

Just in case anyone cares, if we do win our next 2 games and finish on 10 points we'll be guaranteed one of the 4 best runner up spots even if Livi win on Tuesday. 

Groups A, E,F, and G can't have 2 teams finish on 10 points or better. 

Group A only Falkirk can get 10 or better but if they do so they'll win the group and the best runner up can only get 8 points

Group E sub in Ayr  for Falkirk and best runner up can only get 9 points

Group F Motherwell and 8 points

Group G Hamilton are on 5 points and Albion Rovers on 4 but they still have to play each other so they can't both get to 10.

If we drop one point we might be OK but 2 or more and we're probably out.

How's the maths looking now? I'm a lazy toerag and my hayfever addled brain is only able to comprehend we're guaranteed to finish 2nd at the minute - hopefully by tomorrow ill be functioning enough to do simple football mathematics for us winning, drawing, drawing + penalty win and losing in relation to results elsewhere from the last round of fixtures

If we win we're through, if we lose we're out. 

If we draw then win on penalties then we'll finish with 9 points and a GD of +6 which will definitely be ahead of the runners up in groups A and F as they can only get 8 points, and almost certainly group B barring an 8 goal win for Peterhead who are on 6 points with a -2 GD. Hearts (6 pts) are playing Dunfermline (8) so they can't both get to 9. 

So we'd need one more runner up to finish below us.

Group G would be the next target- as long as Albion Rovers don't win by 3 or more away to QoS and Hamilton by 4 at home to Stenny neither of them would reach 9 pts with +6 difference too... so those 4 groups would be enough to qualify

In terms of the other 3 groups for completeness, for 9 and +6 GD to finish above the runner up we'd need.

C- would expect this to go to a winner takes all Dundee derby, loser could end up on 9 pts but too many GD variables to work out with Dundee still having 2 games to go

D- would need Ross County to lose at Arbroath or Hibs to take 1 point max away to Alloa.

E- Would need Killie to win by 2 goals max (or not win at all obvs)

So I think a draw and win on penalties would do it though I'd rather we just won. There probably is a way we can get through on 8 but no chance I'm working that out.

And if you're not tired after that...

Edited by Fuctifano

in the grand scheme of things i think continually staying in the league and getting stronger year on year is better granted we will level out eventually but in time when that happens we have more chance of a good cup runs then ultimately maybe win one of the cups and if that takes 5 years or 10 years im ok with that but as said previously nobody in the far future remembers staying in the league but only cup honours so i personally can wait. am i asking too much to have both

Said it before, if were to win the Scottish Cup I'd certainly break down in absolute tears and then kill myself via substance abuse based celebrations. League cup a couple of tears followed by a bad hangover. Top six a stoic celebratory pint.

Apologies if anyone has read this in the Domestic Cup forum but thought it was worth leaving here too.

If anyone needed any further evidence of how God awful a central midfielder Ryan Edwards is, they need only have watched last night's game; little movement off the ball, not showing for the ball, runs to absolutely nowhere which did nothing to make space for his teammates, poor in possession - the best thing he did all night was get in the way of Dools resulting in his substitution. Edwards has value as a squad player but he is patently incapable of playing central midfield and I think he lacks the quality to play further forward. 

Barton will never rip up any trees as a midfielder but is as fine a sweeper as I've ever seen; can't see him playing midfield if Osman and Bannigan are fit. On that point though, I'm rather concerned at how reliant we already appear to be on Bannigan. We had to call on him last night to shore up a completely ineffectual midfield on a pitch that wasn't in great condition - it was a risk that we shouldn't have had to take. Niggles are always possible/likely when coming back from such a long lay-off and I tend to think we're still short of a proper centre mid; I don't expect that we'll get one though. 

Young Penrice acquitted himself very well at centre half. Had thought previously that his defensive game was an area needing improvement and last night will have only benefited him.

If we win we're through, if we lose we're out. 
If we draw then win on penalties then we'll finish with 9 points and a GD of +6 which will definitely be ahead of the runners up in groups A and F as they can only get 8 points, and almost certainly group B barring an 8 goal win for Peterhead who are on 6 points with a -2 GD. Hearts (6 pts) are playing Dunfermline (8) so they can't both get to 9. 
So we'd need one more runner up to finish below us.
Group G would be the next target- as long as Albion Rovers don't win by 3 or more away to QoS and Hamilton by 4 at home to Stenny neither of them would reach 9 pts with +6 difference too... so those 4 groups would be enough to qualify
In terms of the other 3 groups for completeness, for 9 and +6 GD to finish above the runner up we'd need.
C- would expect this to go to a winner takes all Dundee derby, loser could end up on 9 pts but too many GD variables to work out with Dundee still having 2 games to go
D- would need Ross County to lose at Arbroath or Hibs to take 1 point max away to Alloa.
E- Would need Killie to win by 2 goals max (or not win at all obvs)
So I think a draw and win on penalties would do it though I'd rather we just won. There probably is a way we can get through on 8 but no chance I'm working that out.
And if you're not tired after that...

335e8a0cf976f289f2625ee752d744f5.gif

A few quick thoughts on last night, if I may.

- Penrice was given a very tough test in an unfamiliar role and he passed with flying colours.

- I'm a huge fan of Barton, but too often he puts us under unnecessary pressure by being too casual with his distribution. 

- Christie Elliot is seriously threatening to make the right wing back position his own.  He was always a competent enough stop gap, but he's becoming a much more rounded player.

- Edwards was a nightmare. Constantly giving the ball away and running around with no real purpose. He was the same at Livingston.

- Spittal is looking like a tremendous signing. He just seems like a perfect fit for our system. Link up play between him, Lawless, Erskine and Doolan was a joy to watch at times in the first half.

- Lawless has impressed me more than anyone in the League Cup games so far. I'm hoping he can be a lot more consistent this season.