Celtic Summer Activity thread

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Celtic apparently interested in Shane Duffy of Blackburn. The £2 million being reported is an insulting offer but no doubt Venkys will accept it :(

Do Blackburn fans rate him?

Anytime I've seen him he's looked like a big dud.

Tommy Gravesen was only 32 when he signed for Celtic 8)

Barton should see out this season and will be one of the better Rangers players, if he stays clear of injury, suspension and the courts.

Tommy Gravesen was only 32 when he signed for Celtic 8)

Barton should see out this season and will be one of the better Rangers players, if he stays clear of injury, suspension and the courts.

What was he in court for? Wasn't it his cousin that racially murdered someone with an axe? All he did was stub a cigar in a wee laddies face.

That's pretty valid, imo - the difference is that if Barton doesn't work out and get off to a good start (for whatever reason - can't settle in Scotland, starts getting niggly injuries, legs start to go) there's little to no room for improvement, while Dembele is young enough to develop even if he gets off to a slow start.

I'd be a bit furious at most concerned with Celtic (staff, players, senior management) for going through the motions over the last 4 years if I were a fan, tbh, even if they've started showing a bit of ambition now.

Have to say that I was fully behind the Boards approach over the past 4 years. I've had this argument with a lot of other Celtic fans who completely disagree with me but I just don't think it was necessary to go all out and put ourselves at risk while Rangers were playing in the lower leagues. I always thought the plan was to stabilise financially (We turned a net bank debt of £4m into a surplus of £7m in these 4 years), develop youth, through our academy or signing other young Scottish talent (which we have done), and then spend big when Rangers were promoted to the Premiership.

We could have went out and spent a lot of money but even then it would not guarantee making the Champions League and we could have easily put ourselves in a lot of trouble financially using that approach. With a loss in revenue from fans not turning up and Rangers not being in the league we were making up the shortfall by selling our best players for big money which meant that we were still making the same as we did before Rangers went bust. For me, I was happy enough to win the league and a cup and take Europe as a bonus if we managed to do anything.

And just to add to that, Deila's average spend per season was as much as it was under O'Neill and Strachan and Lennon's wasn't too far off either. The big difference is that we can no longer sign really good players for an average spend of £10m a season like we could 15 years ago due to the big money down south now.

Deila spent the same as O'Neill?

I'd like to see this, please.

Same.  I think we'll be waiting a very long time.

Edit - For as terrible a manager Delia was, there's no way he had the budget O'Neill had.  He didn't have to finish above Rangers for a start.

Same.  I think we'll be waiting a very long time.

Edit - For as terrible a manager Delia was, there's no way he had the budget O'Neill had.  He didn't have to finish above Rangers for a start.

Did lawell not state last year that the wages of the squad was not to far off matching the Seville squad

Rangers' fans acting like bitches again I see? Barton is a good signing and there's no ripping. Finished or not he should still walk Scottish football that he himself has ripped many a time.

Like Roy Keane did for Celtic?

Has PJ Crossan's transfer to Celtic been mentioned on here yet? 

Only a couple of sub appearances in our first team but looks quality. Built like a tank, great balance and scores loads of goals. 

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/scottish-championship/216109/celtic-agree-deal-sign-dunfermline-striker-pj-crossan/

Came on as sub and set up the clinching goal to seal the seaside league title in one of his brief appearances: 

He picks up the ball at 5.25ish and delivers the cross..

Did lawell not state last year that the wages of the squad was not to far off matching the Seville squad

Off the top of my head I think you are looking at around £32m last season versus around £40m for the year after Seville, which would include the bonus payments.

There is however a massive difference in what sort of quality that money would now buy you in comparison to 13 or so years ago.

Archived