Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Just watched the highlights. Looked a defensive shambles from our point of view. Not really much to say beyond that. Cracking free kick from Johnson but other than that we looked rotten.

Fair play to Hibs though, for a lower league side their 4th was a decent finish.

30 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Just watched the highlights. Looked a defensive shambles from our point of view. Not really much to say beyond that. Cracking free kick from Johnson but other than that we looked rotten.

Fair play to Hibs though, for a lower league side their 4th was a decent finish.

Not too much of surprise really though, it's essentially a new back 5 apart from Hammell and McManus with another newcomer in McHugh sitting in front of them. Given that in our other 4 friendlies so far we've played mixed sides, this is essentially the first time our 'strongest' 11(minus Moult) has played together this pre-season. We were also up against a good, settled Hibs team who play a European game 4 days so I'm not too surprised we lost. 

Sure I remember McGhee saying that the league cup would come too early for us and that his focus was getting the team ready for the opening day of the league season next month. So I expect this team to play together for the most part over the 4 league cup games and for us to use it as sort of a mini competitive pre-season in itself. Hopefully we should be a fitter, more cohesive, organised unit come the end of it.

I've not seen a single minute of pre-season myself other than highlights the club put up, so I'm looking forward to seeing how we get on over the next four games and getting a look at some of the new signings and how we're shaping up.

Not too much of surprise really though, it's essentially a new back 5 apart from Hammell and McManus with another newcomer in McHugh sitting in front of them. Given that in our other 4 friendlies so far we've played mixed sides, this is essentially the first time our 'strongest' 11(minus Moult) has played together this pre-season.

Ha! I just texted a pal of mine saying that the only consolation you could really take is that in saying they defended like a team who had only just met, it actually isn't that far off the truth.

I do wonder how much of the defensive side of things Robinson took to do with as well.