Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I think this is the move he's needed, its been spoken about for about a year or so that Dom needs a loan move, hopefully this will do him the same benefit that happened to Cadden that gets him ready made for our first team, championship is a tough league this year, but playing against teams like Hibs, Dundee Utd, Falkirk & St Mirren etc can only be of benefit.

*Random question incoming*
I didn't really know where to put this, but I thought you lot would know best: I'm heading down to Liverpool tomorrow morning by train, and I was wondering what parking was like at Motherwell station.

3 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

*Random question incoming*
I didn't really know where to put this, but I thought you lot would know best: I'm heading down to Liverpool tomorrow morning by train, and I was wondering what parking was like at Motherwell station.

0. Your best bet is to park behind the parade and walk down, it's only a 5 mins walk. 

I think this is the move he's needed, its been spoken about for about a year or so that Dom needs a loan move, hopefully this will do him the same benefit that happened to Cadden that gets him ready made for our first team, championship is a tough league this year, but playing against teams like Hibs, Dundee Utd, Falkirk & St Mirren etc can only be of benefit.

100% agree. If nothing else it should be a decent gauge as to where he realistically fits. There's definitely a player in there, he's been plateauing playing dev league football though and the occasional 15, 20 mins he's been getting at first team level haven't helped in any way. I'd have thought the 45mins against Aberdeen the other week where he completely failed to make any sort of impact probably confirmed that.

It's really up to him to work at it and develop in competitive games.

I've literally never seen him do anything of note for Motherwell, not even beat a player and put in a decent cross. I haven't seen him play many times tbf, but never got the hype. Hope he can get a regular game and become somewhat effective.

He usually beats two or three men and then loses the ball trying to skin someone again. I think he has an assist against both saints but that's about it. The boy clearly has talent so hopefully this loan move goes well.

He usually beats two or three men and then loses the ball trying to skin someone again. I think he has an assist against both saints but that's about it. The boy clearly has talent so hopefully this loan move goes well.

I posted this on Steelmen a while back but I think this series of tweets from the MFC twitter feed on recent u20s games is quite illustrative of the 'problem' (such as it is) with Thomas;

vs St Mirren u20s

'67 | 1-1

Hastie links up with Thomas down the left, the latter charges at the defence, shimmies on to his left, strikes it, but it's saved.

'70 | 1-1

It's nearly brilliant from Thomas. He picks up the ball on edge of Saints box, beats his man with a cruyff turn but shoots over

'72 | 1-1

Thomas is at it again, beating his marker with ease & charging towards the box. His effort is better this time but Willison saves.

vs Falkirk u20s

'51 | 0-0

Nearly a wonder goal from Thomas. He beats his man, cuts in from the right and goes for power with his left, but it's inches over!

'63 | 1-0

'Well sub: McFadden is off and he's replaced by Hastie.

'66 | 2-1

'Well pull one back instantly! Campbell crosses towards Hastie who makes no mistake and fires it past Mehmet. Lively few minutes!

Invariably with Dom it's a case of "so close", "nearly brilliant", "nearly a wonder goal" etc. Whereas in the Falkirk game Hastie's on the park 3 mins and he's made an impact.

Off the top of my head in recent games Hastie has had goals against Thistle u20s, Cumbernauld Colts u20s, Falkirk u20s, Sevco u20s and in the 9-1 demolition of Aberdeen u20s. He also won the 2 penalties against Morton u20s. Tellingly that record is from the same wide attacking role as Thomas has had in the past.

Hopefully this loan spell will give Dom the chance to become a more efficient, clinical player.

Definitely the right thing for the lad...should really have happened sooner. Hopefully he can get plenty of game time down there.

it would actually be worthwhile to send a few of the kids out on loan, if a Club is willing to take them on.

in my opinion, we need a whole new left side of the team, a left full back and a left midfielder 

I've literally never seen him do anything of note for Motherwell, not even beat a player and put in a decent cross. I haven't seen him play many times tbf, but never got the hype. Hope he can get a regular game and become somewhat effective.

He done a stepover against St Johnstone once.

adef707e3d0b06a331e214a572ff102d.jpg

Just noticed this on my Facebook. He's updated his profile picture with a wanky pose from his grandmothers funeral?

Get him released now, please. What an absolute cretin of a human being.

1 hour ago, dezz said:

Oh dear.

Did McGhee not make a comment earlier in the season that Blyth was a bit of a dafty and it was part of the reason why he wasn't playing?

Aye I think it was something along the lines of his actual injury was no longer a problem, but he needed to get his heid sorted out if he wants to play for Motherwell.

Does seem like a colossal waste of money at this point.

19 hours ago, Desp said:

adef707e3d0b06a331e214a572ff102d.jpg

Just noticed this on my Facebook. He's updated his profile picture with a wanky pose from his grandmothers funeral?

Get him released now, please. What an absolute cretin of a human being.

To the bin with him, immediately.

2 year deal with what now seems an incredibly optimistic option of a 3rd for Blyth too.

I suppose hindsight is a wonderful thing but of all the summer signing Blyth seems to stand out as the worst fit. It just doesn't really seem to be working out, whether it's fitness/injury, he's not what McGhee's after or the player himself just doesn't fancy it IDK. 

For all Belic hasn't played if reports are anything to go by he wasn't costing us anything and was only here for 6 months, Bowman has a solid goal scoring record behind him at a similar level to Moult, Lucas seems fairly low risk for a 6 month deal and has a good Academy background along with international caps through the u-age groups while Heneghan, Clay and Tait haven't missed a game.

Even at the time when we were initially linked with Blyth his record hardly stood out, 35 goals in 117 gams and 17 of those goals were for Leamington in the Southern league, take that season out and you're looking at 18 in 80. I mean, it's not the worst and you'd maybe take a punt but hardly warranting a 2 year +1 option. He seemed to bounce around lower league clubs on 'emergency loan' deals when he was at Leicester, who knows maybe a side at a similar sort of level would be willing to take him off our hands, even on loan. FWIW: I've only seen Blyth play once, in a u20s game against Thistle at Firhill and he was alright, genuinely nothing more. He held the ball up, missed an absolute sitter of a header at the back post, fell on his arse a couple of times and generally looked a bit awkward.