Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Been reading twitter to see the opinions of Northern Ireland fans towards the inevitable hiring of Tommy Wright, and a journalist over there reckons Robinson is the preferred candidate for a few of those on the IFA board.

13 hours ago, Swello said:

What isn't shown in the article is when 'Flow mentions "the next cup final" - the angry supporter (not convinced he's a 'well fan but someone will know him, so could be wrong) said something along the lines of "I don't give a f**k about the next cup final - get some c***s on the phones!!11!". He seems to have deleted that one for some reason - but only 1 person comes out of the exchange with a a bit of dignity.

It's still up. That guy is painting Motherwell fans (If he is one?) in a really bad light. After he got the tickets sorted he also tweeted to Burrows, ' And whilst I’m on a fucking rant. Shove your meeting about ‘coaching development’ up your arse too. Reason weans are shite at fitba is because there no accessible, affordable, floodlit parks to play fitba on. It’s not fucking rocket science. ' - Just seems to be an absolute c**t looking to complain about something.

Well, apparently the well store are going to sell tops that have the betfred cup final embroidery on November 21st. They also come with a free cup final t shirt. I might have to get it. (Gotten the  home for my birthday but that's the 25th)

18 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Been reading twitter to see the opinions of Northern Ireland fans towards the inevitable hiring of Tommy Wright, and a journalist over there reckons Robinson is the preferred candidate for a few of those on the IFA board.

Been in and about the International Setup at various levels in the past.  If he manages the team to a cup win next week I wouldn't blame him if he begged for the NI job.

Alan Burrows was far more courteous and accomodating to that cretin than most in his position would be I'd imagine. Apart from being extremely unfair and harsh in his criticism of the situation he got personal in his abuse which was totally uncalled for and had Burrows basically told him to bolt and not had any further conversation with him then I doubt anyone would have blamed him.

Quick question guys as you obviously see the guy more often than I do, how good is Louis Moult ? His goal scoring record for Motherwell is mighty impressive, whenever I have seen him play however even though his goals have hurt us, his general football has been ( this may sound damning) pretty basic. Is he basically a great finisher or does he have other attributes which I haven't witnessed on a personal level.

When Moult first arrived, he was simply a poacher IMO - albeit a very good one.  Scott McDonald had his good points and bad points - but I think playing with him brought out the other side to Moult's game and now he is a very effective player as well as a goal scorer. I'm sure Dons fans that were there yesterday would back me up on the fact that Moult scarcely wasted a pass as well as a couple of great finishes. If you list the attributes that you'd want from a modern centre forward - Moult has pretty much excelled at them all for the past 18 months....

Tommy Coyne is the best footbll playing centre forward I've seen at 'Well and Moult isn't (quite) at that level but a basic footballer would not have scored the range of goals that Moult consistently has...

10 minutes ago, Swello said:

When Moult first arrived, he was simply a poacher IMO - albeit a very good one.  Scott McDonald had his good points and bad points - but I think playing with him brought out the other side to Moult's game and now he is a very effective player as well as a goal scorer. I'm sure Dons fans that were there yesterday would back me up on the fact that Moult scarcely wasted a pass as well as a couple of great finishes. If you list the attributes that you'd want from a modern centre forward - Moult has pretty much excelled at them all for the past 18 months....

Tommy Coyne is the best footbll playing centre forward I've seen at 'Well and Moult isn't (quite) at that level but a basic footballer would not have scored the range of goals that Moult consistently has...

Fair enough swello, as I said in my post I have only seen him against us, and though his goal record against us is really good, I have never been overly impressed with his overall contribution, whilst saying that I guess I'm being pedantic as strikers are judged mainly on their goalscoring exploits.

2 hours ago, happyaccie said:

Quick question guys as you obviously see the guy more often than I do, how good is Louis Moult ? His goal scoring record for Motherwell is mighty impressive, whenever I have seen him play however even though his goals have hurt us, his general football has been ( this may sound damning) pretty basic. Is he basically a great finisher or does he have other attributes which I haven't witnessed on a personal level.

Unsurprisingly the answer to that is pretty nuanced and could easily turn into quite the long read.

It'd be fair to say that the player you describe above is the version of Moult who arrived from Wrexham and started the season behind Wes Fletcher. McFadden told the story on the radio the other week that when he arrived at the club Moult could barely get a decent shot off from outside the box in training. The majority of his goals that season came from inside the 6 yard box, they were poacher's efforts. Right time, right place stuff. I don't think he scored from further out than a 12 yard penalty.

Generally speaking you'd find that Moult was being easily brushed off the ball, there wasn't much to his hold up play but...he'd be in the right place to tap the ball in. However it turns out that he'd had an issue with his groin that it seems that had been holding him back. Since that season he's had a couple of surgeries to clear the issue up and that's definitely had an impact. Consequently he's gone from strength to strength.

It'd be fair to say that he improved under McGhee and also as Swello says playing alongside McDonald has made him into a better all round player. One of the biggest improvements has been physically. It's unlikely to be a coincidence that since Andy Boles has come in to the club in the strength and conditioning department we've seen an upturn in physical development and by all accounts Moult has put the hours in and is benefitting from it. The fact he's in a position to compete physically means that the other natural, technical aspects to his game have improved exponentially.

He looks stronger and better developed as an athlete these days and while he's by no means #flawless he's improved in almost every aspect of his game; his first touch, technique, hold up play etc If you watch the highlights from the Aberdeen game yesterday he's pulling balls out the air with one touch. In his first season he'd just have been brushed off the ball by the centre half. Having said that he lacks pace, you wouldn't bet on him 1 v 1 against a goalkeeper, we'd increase our goal % if he was able to get his head up and play the percentage ball to team mates in better positions and he struggles as a lone striker but ultimately he's developed into a far, far better player than the one who arrived at the club.

Swello (as usual) has it spot on here:

Tommy Coyne is the best football playing centre forward I've seen at 'Well and Moult isn't (quite) at that level but a basic footballer would not have scored the range of goals that Moult consistently has...

Edited by capt_oats

3 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Unsurprisingly the answer to that is pretty nuanced and could easily turn into quite the long read.

It'd be fair to say that the player you describe above is the version of Moult who arrived from Wrexham and started the season behind Wes Fletcher. McFadden told the story on the radio the other week that when he arrived at the club Moult could barely get a decent shot off from outside the box in training. The majority of his goals that season came from inside the 6 yard box, they were poacher's efforts. Right time, right place stuff. I don't think he scored from further out than a 12 yard penalty.

Generally speaking you'd find that Moult was being easily brushed off the ball, there wasn't much to his hold up play but...he'd be in the right place to tap the ball in. However it turns out that he'd had an issue with his groin that it seems had been holding him back. Since that season he's had a couple of surgeries to clear the issue up and that's definitely had an impact and he's gone from strength to strength.

It'd be fair to say that he improved as a player under McGhee and also as Swello says playing alongside McDonald has made him into a better all round player. One of the biggest improvements has been physically. It's unlikely to be a coincidence that since Andy Boles has come in to the club in the strength and conditioning department we've seen an upturn in physical development and by all accounts Moult has put the hours in and is benefitting from it. The fact he's in a position to compete physically means that the other aspects to his game have improved exponentially.

He looks stronger and better developed as an athlete these days and while he's by no mean #flawless he's improved in almost every aspect of his game his first touch, technique, hold up play etc If you watch the highlights from the Aberdeen game yesterday he's pulling balls out the air with one touch. In his first season he'd just have been brushed off the ball by the centre half. Having said that he lacks pace, you wouldn't bet on him 1 v 1 against a goalkeeper, we'd increase our goal % if he was able to get his head up and play the percentage ball to team mates in better positions and he struggles as a lone striker but it's fair to say that he's developed into a far, far better player than the one who arrived at the club.

Swello (as usual) has it spot on here:

Cheers that's a comprehensive reply to my question.If he was to continue developing his overall game as you have outlined he would possibly be a very prosperous asset, it is unfortunate that the guy's contract expires at the end of this season.

I guess that fact will give Motherwell a headache come January if any substantial bids come in for him.

Cheers that's a comprehensive reply to my question.If he was to continue developing his overall game as you have outlined he would possibly be a very prosperous asset, it is unfortunate that the guy's contract expires at the end of this season.
I guess that fact will give Motherwell a headache come January if any substantial bids come in for him.

It's rumoured that Wrexham are into us for a sell on fee if he goes so it would need to be an offer that covers that.
If he leaves for nothing at the end of the season, he'll still be our best bit of business since we brought Davie Cooper to Fir Park.

39 minutes ago, mjw said:

It's rumoured that Wrexham are into us for a sell on fee if he goes so it would need to be an offer that covers that.
If he leaves for nothing at the end of the season, he'll still be our best bit of business since we brought Davie Cooper to Fir Park.

I agree with your last sentiment to a point, but I share swello and captains view that McDonald returning was pivotal in Moults development so perhaps Scott returning could rival that claim.

I agree with your last sentiment to a point, but I share swello and captains view that McDonald returning was pivotal in Moults development so perhaps Scott returning could rival that claim.

That's a decent point.
I linked Moult and Cooper because they both cost the same.
McDonald on a free (twice,I think) could be seen as better business.