Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Aparrently there is a second signing coming soon:

"Delighted to welcome Ross back to Motherwell. Really loved his quote about putting something back into the club that helped launch him! Top man.

Second signing won’t be far behind either. Keep checking the official feed over the next few days as we finalise the deal!https://t.co/epxg37ZLHY"

Not trying to be a dick, but isn't McCormack a bit of waste of money? You'll be nowhere near the relegation spots and unlikely to breach the top 6 at this point.

What's the benefit?

I should mark that by saying, well done though, massive coup and I am jealous!

Delighted with this signing and welcome back to Ross McCormack. 

A completely different type of player to what we've currently got but that was something we desperately needed in that squad. Hopefully he adds that much needed creativity and spark up front.

Now to steer clear of the drop zone and have a good crack at the Scottish Cup.

33 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:
Not trying to be a dick, but isn't McCormack a bit of waste of money? You'll be nowhere near the relegation spots and unlikely to breach the top 6 at this point.
What's the benefit?

The #ITK chat is we’ve got a good deal for McCormack with Villa covering the bulk of his wage. It was mentioned earlier in the thread that he’s costing us less than Sammon is from Hearts.

Also Robinson’s not daft, fans were already showing discontent after the first half of the season. Hoofball and a genuine lack of creativity were costing us massively & irrespective of whether we stayed up or not a repeat of the first half of the season would have seen the knives properly out for the manager.

Short of bringing Moult back the club couldn’t have made a better move to get the fans back onside.

Robinson has been bemoaning a lack of “quality” in the final third all season, so in real terms we’ve swapped Ryan Bowman for Ross McCormack. Seems a pretty sound deal tbh.

Edited by capt_oats

12 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

What's the benefit?

I think it’s fair to say the quality of football this season has not being good and bringing in a player of his quality will hopefully see an improvement. While I don’t think we will be in trouble at the bottom  it is still not guaranteed at this point. To be honest even if we were safe we all pay, whether that’s on the day or through our season ticket  to watch the football and hopefully be entertained. I’m hoping this is a sign that entertainment level may be slightly higher.

Edited by Yorky

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

What's the benefit?

Tbh it is incredible to think we have a guy playing for us who is reportedly on £40k per week. How Villa must rue the day they gave him a 4 year contact.  I would be surprised if we were contributing more than £2k per week if that. And if it is less than Sammon then it is a low risk option. 

As for whether it works out. Time will tell but given he has for now replaced a striker who had only scored 1 league goal so far this season. Again seems low risk all things considered.  I am happy with the signing but not hugely excited. That will change if he starts banging in the goals. 

Also a double edged sword as a half season loan means if he does well he will be on loan somewhere else or as Villa probably hope sold on for a fee of some description. 

Lots of rumours of other players leaving so could see quite a turnover this window. No fan would argue this has not been required as some players have not delivered and are probably stale and disillusioned themselves. I include Bigi in that. If we can move out a few more players that are surplus to requirements then this has to be a good thing.....

Edited by welldaft

58 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

What's the benefit?

What a strange way to look at things. As has been mentioned, he won't cost us a lot and we are in a relegation battle. We also need to change the brutal brand of football witnessed this season and bring some entertainment back, which in turn brings more income with more people through the gate etc. This season has been as unaspiring as I can remember and there's a lot of apathy floating about amongst the support. This is the most exciting news for months. 

I watch alot of the A-League. McCornack was good in his spell with Melbourne City although he started off a bit slow. Nothing of note from his brief spell at Central Coast Mariners although tbf the Mariners are utter guff thus was limited in what he could do. Very good signing for the Scottish top flight & could do a job at most other clubs in the division

In his interview on his return McCormack mentions a few times that he can't wait to be part of the lads/banter/group.

Seems as though he was a bit lonely during his Villa/other loans

In his interview on his return McCormack mentions a few times that he can't wait to be part of the lads/banter/group.

Seems as though he was a bit lonely during his Villa/other loans.

I was just watching the interview there and thought he was pretty “media trained” in everything he said until he mentioned the 2nd or 3rd time about looking forward to being part of the dressing room and “not feeling like a spare...part” (100% checked himself from saying spare p***k).

Seemed wholly genuine on that point.

Tbf he’s clearly been frozen out at Villa and while “electric gate”-gate isn’t a good look he was captain at both Fulham and Leeds before moving to Villa so the “attitude” thing seems to have coincided with Villa patching him to the reserves. It’s probably fairly shite to be viewed as an outcast at a club, bearing in mind Villa’s manager was quoted the other day saying he hadn’t spoken to him and delegated that to his assistants.

Delighted (and still genuinely surprised) to get McCormack signed up- it's the type of imaginative signing we've all been crying out for regardless of our league position - the possibility of actually being entertained makes this worthwhile. Moving Bowman out for actual money and getting McCormack in for less that Sammon in wages seems like a mental piece of business TBH.

Happy to have this chucked back at me in May - but I think being at a more modest club - and one he knows  - will suit McCormack at this point in time, and I think he'll do well. 

On 05/01/2019 at 15:23, Swello said:
Delighted (and still genuinely surprised) to get McCormack signed up- it's the type of imaginative signing we've all been crying out for regardless of our league position - the possibility of actually being entertained makes this worthwhile. Moving Bowman out for actual money and getting McCormack in for less that Sammon in wages seems like a mental piece of business TBH.
Happy to have this chucked back at me in May - but I think being at a more modest club - and one he knows  - will suit McCormack at this point in time, and I think he'll do well.

It’s obviously not exactly the same but (for me) this has echoes of Cooper signing for McLean.

Edited by capt_oats

3 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

It’s obviously not exactly the same but (for me) this has echoes of Cooper signing for McLean.

There are certainly parallels as Coop *fucking loved* going from (by that point) an unloved bit-part player at Rangers to being unquestionably the main man at a smaller club. The thing that signing Cooper did  - as much as we got a class act of a player out of it - was that it very obviously raised the game of the other players at the club at that time - and this signing has potential to do that in the way that signing (no disrespec') Danny Johnson or Connor Sammon would never do. 

Even moving away from Cooper who was the extreme example - the return of Scott McDonald under Barraclough had the halo effect too - the other players got a shot in the arm when they saw a class player being signed as opposed to a jobber from the English lower leagues.

Lots can go wrong here - but our track record in handling returning players has been pretty good  - and we do this more than most....