Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

10 hours ago, welldaft said:

Yeah, I'm fairly sure he's someone we were looking at in summer 2019 when he was at Birmingham and we were originally thinking about spending the Turnbull money before his knee fell off.

That's not an ITK thing it's just a vague awareness of folk that have had a follow on certain social media platforms. Lang was another one who was on the 'follow' list around the same time.

Either way Turnbull's knee fell to bits and the bold Viv went to Bulgaria where he ended up at CSKA along with our very own Tony Watt.

FWIW: he was Birmingham's Young Player of The Season in 15/16.

Edited by capt_oats

Maybe we could offer Birmingham Seedorf in exchange? He’s absolutely magic but keen to take the next career step up*

Or exchange Hastie? Rangers probably won’t notice. 

*for any Birmingham people reading this. 

5 minutes ago, 18May1991 said:

Maybe we could offer Birmingham Seedorf in exchange? He’s absolutely magic but keen to take the next career step up*

Or exchange Hastie? Rangers probably won’t notice. 

*for any Birmingham people reading this. 

Going by that article he's a free agent after his short term deal with Wigan expired on Monday.

I mean there's nothing to stop us offering Birmingham Seedorf if they want him though. Right?

Yeah, I'm fairly sure he's someone we were looking at in summer 2019 when he was at Birmingham and we were originally thinking about spending the Turnbull money before his knee fell off.
That's not an ITK thing it's just a vague awareness of folk that have had a follow on certain social media platforms. Lang was another one who was on the 'follow' list around the same time.
Either way Turnbull's knee fell to bits and the bold Viv went to Bulgaria where he ended up at CSKA along with our very own Tony Watt.
FWIW: he was Birmingham's Young Player of The Season in 15/16.

Signing pals of Tony Watt and Declan Gallagher has worked out well for us so far...

I, for one, cannot get enough of our habit of signing mercurial wingers in January. 
It's great when we're doing ok but they're generally exciting with little or no end product. I'm not sure that's what we need at this point unless they're going to contribute to some goals. Other than Marvin Johnson I can't think of many with an end product.

27 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:
2 hours ago, well fan for life said:
I, for one, cannot get enough of our habit of signing mercurial wingers in January. 

It's great when we're doing ok but they're generally exciting with little or no end product. I'm not sure that's what we need at this point unless they're going to contribute to some goals. Other than Marvin Johnson I can't think of many with an end product.

Despite my misgivings over Frear latterly, he was massive in us staying up the season he arrived, Gboly was amazing fun, Nadir occasionally stood out wide...

3 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:
34 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:
Despite my misgivings over Frear latterly, he was massive in us staying up the season he arrived, Gboly was amazing fun, Nadir occasionally stood out wide...

Gboly was great to watch but I don't remember him actually producing very much.

I loved Gboly. One of my favourites in recent years. 

He gave Alex Gogic a torrid time during one of the Lanarkshire derbies at FP which was great fun. He also did well to somehow escape the wrath of Celtic fans for the James Scott incident at Parkhead. A good lad.  

Gboly was great to watch but I don't remember him actually producing very much.
He would skin about 5 players, get into the box and hit the roof of the Davie Cooper stand with his shot.

I've genuinely never seen a player who would beat players so often and so easily. If he had any sort of end product he'd be at a much higher level.

He would skin about 5 players, get into the box and hit the roof of the Davie Cooper stand with his shot.

I've genuinely never seen a player who would beat players so often and so easily. If he had any sort of end product he'd be at a much higher level.

I just remember the football before he arrived that season being utterly horrific. I remember a game at Fir Park vs Livingston which we drew 1-1 where all we did was shell long balls to Bowman or no one and it was pathetic. We scored our only shot.

And then after January we pumped them 3-0 with Gboly and Hastie running riot. He made me enjoy football again that season although he was much better at Fir Park than he was away from home.

20 minutes ago, dezz said:

I loved Gboly. One of my favourites in recent years. 

He gave Alex Gogic a torrid time during one of the Lanarkshire derbies at FP which was great fun. He also did well to somehow escape the wrath of Celtic fans for the James Scott incident at Parkhead. A good lad.  

Teflon Gboly. How he never got the brunt of the abuse after haring the length of the park to score a tap in I'll never know.

Also @Ron Aldo said it was some laugh watching him nutmeg 4 players, do 10 stepovers and then send a shot half way to Carluke. 

59 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Despite my misgivings over Frear latterly, he was massive in us staying up the season he arrived

Mad to wonder where we would be if he hadn't set up Moult for the winner against Accies on the Saturday, then scored one and got two assists (I assume he must have won the free-kick Lionel scored) against Killie on the Wednesday.

Disappointing he never built on that, but he made some contribution in those few months.

25 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

He made me enjoy football again that season

This is the part that a lot folk miss with the "end product" chat. I loved watching him skinning people (sometimes twice), even when it didn't really lead to anything and Gboly is one of the best dribblers (is that still a thing?) I've ever seen at the club.