Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

37 minutes ago, eliphas said:

In general I'd probably like to see us move to replace Lamie or Sol pronto. Or, perhaps move to a more defensive back 3.

So cool with a back three at 3pm and 0-0.

Not happy at 16:30 and 1-0 up.

Am I getting that right?

25 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

So cool with a back three at 3pm and 0-0.

Not happy at 16:30 and 1-0 up.

Am I getting that right?

Kind of I guess, aye 

Fine with a back 3 pre game, yep. As that would have meant we'd been training towards it.

I didn't think it was right to change to things that much with the way the game was running and also the mob we have on the pitch I don't really trust to cope with it mid game tbqh.

3 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

I need a laugh …… anyone remember who was reported interested in SOD immediately after the Euros and for how much?

It was towards the end of last season and I don't know how much but I'd heard that Birmingham City were rather interested in him.

28 minutes ago, AdamMFC said:

It was towards the end of last season and I don't know how much but I'd heard that Birmingham City were rather interested in him.

I’m sure there were a few rumours before the summer window shut. 700k sticks in my head. Thought someone with a crazy good memory would be able to pluck it out.

1 hour ago, eliphas said:

Kind of I guess, aye 

Fine with a back 3 pre game, yep. As that would have meant we'd been training towards it.

I didn't think it was right to change to things that much with the way the game was running and also the mob we have on the pitch I don't really trust to cope with it mid game tbqh.

It’s all butterfly effect stuff because with every decision the game goes in unique direction never to be repeated so it can never be quantified.

Maths would probably backup the chances of seeing out the game but mitigated with the passion, momentum, pressure, etc. of the opposition with impetus to claw level.

Who’s to say, I would have opted for shoring up in this instance when the last 4 games are taken into account (except the Hunnorum).

On 14/01/2023 at 19:46, ropy said:

Does bringing Dunachie back from EK imply that Blaney isn’t up to it or will they be brought in together as the new dream team for the back?

Unless I have completely missed it being announced officially, I am not sure if Dunachie has been recalled, EK didn't have a game this weekend, I don't know if that makes him eligible for us or not, no idea how that stuff works?

On 15/01/2023 at 00:33, Kapowzer said:

Lamie's header back for the VAR check so reminiscent of Sligo almost precisely at the same spot on the park, putting pressure on Kelly rather than doing the first lesson on first day at centre half school, if you're not Franco Baresi, boot it to f**k.

He was instrumental in putting a ball out for a corner when three Ross County players were unmarked in the box, as much as the pairing is chronic so is the extra bodies drafted in at different passages of play.

Then their equaliser, more half hearted and lame than anything else, total pre season friendly stuff.

I don't know when some of you are going to change with Hammell. The solution today was to put two sitting midfielders in front of the central defence rather than Goss on his tod. I mean is that where the f**k we are?

Fat Sally had an illustrious career with the hunnorum but was found out managing beyond League 1. Issue is you could make allowances for a career poacher overlooking defensive issues. But here we are with a 550 game LB scratching his head every bloody week. Alexander would have had Blaney on before the net bulged from McKinstry's goal ..... what does not compute with Hammy?

Confused Hanna Barbera GIF by Warner Archive

That VAR check was a penalty as well, i'd be raging if we never got that !!

Aye that header back from Lamie, man. As soon as the ball was above him it was inevitable that he'd make an arse of it. And tbh if the County player hadn't been looking for the penalty and just kept running he'd probably have gotten it by just running into Kelly. 

Anyway. Arbroath on Saturday. I hear it's good weather this time of year at Gayfield. 

1 hour ago, Neil86 said:

Unless I have completely missed it being announced officially, I am not sure if Dunachie has been recalled, EK didn't have a game this weekend, I don't know if that makes him eligible for us or not, no idea how that stuff works?

A development loan allows him to play for our development team.  He could only be on our bench if the loan was cancelled/expired. Surely?

13 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Aye that header back from Lamie, man. As soon as the ball was above him it was inevitable that he'd make an arse of it. And tbh if the County player hadn't been looking for the penalty and just kept running he'd probably have gotten it by just running into Kelly. 

Anyway. Arbroath on Saturday. I hear it's good weather this time of year at Gayfield. 

Fair looking forward to the day out tbh, Fully expect Blaney to come in, Tierney as well. wouldn't be against going two up top, KVV and Mandron. Slattery will be back in i'd imagine. Other than that , business as usual.

On 15/01/2023 at 01:18, well fan for life said:

I'm not opposed to McGinn as a 6 but we are in dire need of a body in there. Goss was miles off it, Spittal's lost at the best of times and slinging Maguire on doesn't help at all. 

I wondered about this tbh.

I mean it's hardly earth shattering stuff but does Hammell sticking McGinn in as the #6 to cover Slattery's absence have any knock on for someone like say, Maguire who was on the bench or was it a case of seeing it as a good opportunity to get Johnston in the team but still wanting to keep McGinn on the park rather than a ding on the other midfield options.

14 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I wondered about this tbh.

I mean it's hardly earth shattering stuff but does Hammell sticking McGinn in as the #6 to cover Slattery's absence have any knock on for someone like say, Maguire who was on the bench or was it a case of seeing it as a good opportunity to get Johnston in the team but still wanting to keep McGinn on the park rather than a ding on the other midfield options.

I'll take a bit of everything tbh. Maguire's shown he's nowhere near good enough, Johnston's clearly got a bit about him and McGinn's consistent if unspectacular. 

20 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

Fair looking forward to the day out tbh, Fully expect Blaney to come in, Tierney as well. wouldn't be against going two up top, KVV and Mandron. Slattery will be back in i'd imagine. Other than that , business as usual.

I'm looking forward to it because I've never been before. Hopefully we get a result but if nothing else it's a day oot. 

56 minutes ago, ropy said:

A development loan allows him to play for our development team.  He could only be on our bench if the loan was cancelled/expired. Surely?

It was a 6 month loan so it'll have expired.

Logan Dunachie has joined Lowland League leaders East Kilbride on a six-month loan.

A product of the Motherwell academy, the centre back has impressed within the ranks at the club and goes out on loan to gain valuable experience.

“We think of Logan very highly and I think this is the correct time for him to go out on loan and get some game time,” manager Steven Hammell added.

“We wish him all the best for the his time at K-Park”

Link

1 hour ago, Neil86 said:

I went to the EK game against Open Goal the other week and thought he looked good, dealt with everything that came his way, won his headers as well. 

Can he ping the ball to nobody on the opposite wing? 

I get that we've tripped up against "inferior" opposition plenty times in the past, which often has us approaching games against clubs like Arbroath thinking "we better not take this for granted"....but this is the first time I can remember coming up to a fixture against a club like Arbroath, and everyone honestly thinking "hmmm...this could genuinely go either way here".

On the flipside, I keep trying to convince myself that the "thing" that's missing, is just a wee bit of a break and a bit of confidence. That whole "one win gives everyone a wee boost and we go on a run" type thing. Maybe the fact that we constantly either draw or lose by one, means that we AREN'T actually shite....we're just not quite there and need a wee lift to bring everything together.

Or maybe we are just shite. Who knows.

Edited by Al B

Tabloids have PNE looking at Cornelius, who is out of contract this summer. Can't see him wanting to stay when he barely gets a game for us. Might as well triple his wages and not get a game for someone else, make us some money, then come back to us.

38 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

Tabloids have PNE looking at Cornelius, who is out of contract this summer. Can't see him wanting to stay when he barely gets a game for us. Might as well triple his wages and not get a game for someone else, make us some money, then come back to us.

I'd be quite surprised if a Championship club were to be interested in Cornelius at this point. He's done well enough, but I've not really seen anything in him that would suggest he'd cut it at that level. Fingers crossed I'm wrong as usual and the boy can keep progressing  and make both himself and us a few bob, but I have my doubts at this stage.