Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, Marinello said:

Perhaps I'm being naive but my recollection was that rather than Hammell hanging around the directors office waiting to take advantage of Alexander's dismissal he was instead in Arran with his family. 

Hardly the behaviour of an opportunist hell bent on career advancement. 

I think you underestimate the frequency of a Cal Mac ferry working and if you get a chance you take it.

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

I mean, on this as well; if you don't think the kid you've brought in can do it against a lower league side, then why have you brought him in?

Aye. It's obviously been made clear that we needed a left back and our solution was a Supermarket Sweep style dash for a lad who has 5 minutes of senior football under his belt. (Edit: No meaning to be harsh on him. He might turn good but we don't really have the luxury of project signings at the minute.)

I suppose it'll be interesting to see what we try now that Hammell's tactical throwing shit at a wall is out the window.

Edited by well fan for life

Genuinely looking forward to going to FP this week for the first time in about 12 months. Except the start of the season when we had jettisoned Alexander. It's something different anyway....it has to be right? Guys? Surely. 

Edited by eliphas

6 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Aye. It's obviously been made clear that we needed a left back and our solution was a Supermarket Sweep style dash for a lad who has 5 minutes of senior football under his belt. (Edit: No meaning to be harsh on him. He might turn good but we don't really have the luxury of project signings at the minute.)

I suppose it'll be interesting to see what we try now that Hammell's tactical throwing shit at a wall is out the window.

If I was a semi competent professional left back, confronted by a gurning Brian Kerr on a Zoom call I’d probably pass. 

13 minutes ago, ropy said:

So does everyone get a clean slate now that the management regime has changed?

No, If for some reason Sean Goss turns into Pirlo, SoD into Maldini and Liam Kelly stop throwing them into the net that will piss me off even more.

I've mentioned this before but it's interesting that Hammell's best run of form came at the point at which he'd been parachuted in and to all intents and purposes he was looking to steady the ship and there seemed to be a reaction of sorts to Alexander leaving (mind everyone was talking about style of football in press conferences and the like).

This is us in the league up to the World Cup break:

Screenshot2023-02-13at20_34_45.thumb.png.d2792d762e5d97f38e1fa5db80357325.png

This is us after the best part of a month off and a mid-season training camp that included us getting battered 4-0 by Spurs.

Screenshot2023-02-13at20_39_32.thumb.png.39e2497da96d080e4b56a43bf1f76028.png

I mean maybe I'm being overly snarky but it says a lot that we've come back from a training camp where we got "a lot of good work done" and been demonstrably worse for it:

Edited by capt_oats

4 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I've mentioned this before but it's interesting that Hammell's best run of form came at the point at which he'd been parachuted in and to all intents and purposes he was looking to steady the ship and there seemed to be a reaction of sorts to Alexander leaving (mind everyone was talking about style of football in press conferences and the like).

This is us in the league up to the World Cup break:

Screenshot2023-02-13at20_34_45.thumb.png.d2792d762e5d97f38e1fa5db80357325.png

This is us after the best part of a month off and a mid-season training camp that included us getting battered 4-0 by Spurs.

Screenshot2023-02-13at20_39_32.thumb.png.39e2497da96d080e4b56a43bf1f76028.png

I mean maybe I'm being overly snarky but it says a lot that we've come back from a training camp where we got "a lot of good work done" and been demonstrably worse for it:

He's away mate. You need to exorcise the demon some how. 

I have literally no idea who I’d take as manager just now. Feel like generally in these situations the new manager can make an impact purely by settling players down and taking a ‘square pegs - square holes’ approach. With the squad being as it is, even that’s not so easy. Really, we need someone who can put a rocket up/put arm round/massage egos of players that need it, identify who’ll be least bad at left back, persuade the centre halves to play like they’ve met, invigorate the midfield, get the strikers scoring and do it almost immediately. 

Maybe that person is out there, but f’d if I know who they are. 

One approach could be a rolling new manager bounce. We get a manager in every 3 or 4 games. Tell them it's an audition. Then we don't appoint anyone of them.

Right Yogi you are up first. Points, f**k your total football. 

Thommo, you are next..what ye got,? Hope it's 12 points. 

Billy, welcome back. No Tommy Sheridan can't get a comp for the Celtic game. 

Ah, Simo, you will see the season out for us. A draw and 2 wins will do wee man. 

I'm not seeing egos, I'm seeing a team that has had it's confidence shattered. 

I love the idea that some have in their head that someone can come in and shout at the players and scare them into being better.  I don't think playing with even more fear is going to work. 

I don't like most of the players either, but unfortunately they're the ones responsible for keeping my team in the top flight, so I'm saving my barrage of abuse until the final whistle after the last game, regardless of result.

Edited by rowsdower

19 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

I'm not seeing egos, I'm seeing a team that has had it's confidence shattered. 

I love the idea that some have in their head that someone can come in and shout at the players and scare them into being better.  I don't think playing with even more fear is going to work. 

Agree with this.

Tbh, acknowledging I have zero idea what's going on in the dressing room or on the training ground, when I revisited that Albion Rovers doc I half-wondered if "lazy leg is fucking lazy" was still an accurate representation of Kerr's approach to things.

Like, who knows maybe our staff *have* just been shouting at the players and this is the result.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by capt_oats