Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

3 hours ago, ropy said:

I don’t think the assist stat is right, he recently passed to Tierney for a goal and there was chat about his recent 3 assists then I looked up the stat and it said 1.  He also made the mistake of rolling one in front of Connor Shields to see it skied over the bar, so the attempt to assist is there.

We would have to watch the games back to get some accurate figures or perhaps people have better memories than me.

WyScout also has him on 1 assist this season, FWIW.

Set up 15 shots this season though.

Just thinking ..... Ibrox for Raith, say conservatively 40,000 show up (80% of capacity) paying £25 a head. that's £1m, minus staging costs you're looking at upwards of £400k.

Add in Sligo and progression £350k per round plus £100k travelling expenses.

Both windfalls were down to the wrong guy being in charge at the time. The first he wasn't backed but mental and the second was he was backed and got longer than he should have but didn't have the tools.

When we're robbing Peter to pay Paul 900k is a big fucking hole that equates to more than our £750k safe zone per season. That's very much on the board.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

WyScout also has him on 1 assist this season, FWIW.

Set up 15 shots this season though.

He assisted McKinstry against Ross County then assisted Tierney in the very next match against Hibs.

Who is the official arbiter of assists?  Is it one source that everyone uses? E.g. my screenshot above shows that bbc didn’t record the assist against Hibs.  Why would they all miss it?

not great pictures but here he is knocking the ball on, and here is the video

24EAF1B0-07E0-47ED-B1F0-777673463323.png

5ED231F9-0E30-4835-BFC3-606E8BF90BF9.png

Edited by ropy

27 minutes ago, ropy said:

He assisted McKinstry against Ross County then assisted Tierney in the very next match against Hibs.

Who is the official arbiter of assists?  Is it one source that everyone uses? E.g. my screenshot above shows that bbc didn’t record the assist against Hibs.  Why would they all miss it?

WyScout dont have his assist to Tierney as anything. 

Isnt registered as a pass, cross or shot.

Bizarre stuff and assume its the same everywhere.

11 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Was Max not getting linked to EFL Championship Clubs the other week? The lad has some agent.

:lol:

Aye, it was Cardiff earlier on today as well.

Far play, his agent is grafting like f**k.

I look forward to the ‘exclusive’ Bayern Munich and Barcelona links tomorrow.

2 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

Just thinking ..... Ibrox for Raith, say conservatively 40,000 show up (80% of capacity) paying £25 a head. that's £1m, minus staging costs you're looking at upwards of £400k.

Add in Sligo and progression £350k per round plus £100k travelling expenses.

Both windfalls were down to the wrong guy being in charge at the time. The first he wasn't backed but mental and the second was he was backed and got longer than he should have but didn't have the tools.

When we're robbing Peter to pay Paul 900k is a big fucking hole that equates to more than our £750k safe zone per season. That's very much on the board.

Truth is we did not really know Sligo would be the clusterfuck it turned out to be. In hindsight yes but not at the time. And for umpteenth time the Board felt they could not sack someone who had earned us a European slot. Which again at the time is totally understandable leaving aside the compensation costs would have been considerably higher.

I wanted Hammell gone after the St Johnstone game. The fact he got Aberdeen too is probably more down to the fact there was only a few days in between both games. That we lost to Aberdeen and he still got the Scottish Cup game was totally avoidable and 100% on the Board. Perhaps because of his status but the Board should have acted sooner. We may still have lost to Raith but the last two results suggest otherwise. 

3 hours ago, AdamMFC said:

I'd definitely say this is the case. My Livi supporting mate @Cptn Hooch is always telling me how much a fan of him he is and would like him at Livi.

I'm a big fan of Kev and would definitely prefer to keep him. Yes he has his faults but I dread to think about where we'd be if it wasn't for his goals this season. 

I'd 100% take KVV at Livi. He's far better than the like of Guthrie and Goncalves and he'd be either a good partner for, or good competition for Anderson

Clearly they felt that but you then wonder what the plan was.

Say we'd made it past Sligo, you still can't sack him by that logic. Is it considered a turnaround worth backing him after all in the window? Do that and you've got him till at least October, if not the WC break. 

Maybe he'd have turned it round - with SOD, and possibly others, the dressing room and fresh faces in maybe it'd have worked.

But say it didn't - was the assumption we could then bin him and recover to avoid relegation?

Alternatively was the plan to starve him of resources until he chucked it himself? But then never mind looking for a new manager we'd barely have had a squad had he stumbled past August.

I have a lot understanding for the board who frequently have to make marginal decisions and get abused for it from reactionaries without the facts.

However, you need to say that how this season has gone had a large feel of inevitability about it and comes down to the fact we bottled making the tough decision in summer/eating humble pie on his extension.

Had we bulleted him the morning after the Celtic game we could have presented it mutually, he'd have been applauded out (ish) and we'd have been on the hook for a lot of cash but less than we'd have got back for beating Sligo.

Alternatively back him and at least see if there's a chance of redemption.

Doing what we did by splitting the difference was largely destined to turn out like this.

Edited by Handsome_Devil

7 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I'm convinced our luck has turned a corner now because in any other week of the season we'd surely have heard about either Butcher,  Casey or Johnston having a medium-term injury by now.

Press conference not till Friday

I'm surprised there aren't Serie A teams being linked with Max Johnstone considering the success of the full backs that have went over there.

Notice Brighton are the latest club interested apparently.

Chances of holding onto him are certainly lessening.

1 hour ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Clearly they felt that but you then wonder what the plan was.

Say we'd made it past Sligo, you still can't sack him by that logic. Is it considered a turnaround worth backing him after all in the window? Do that and you've got him till at least October, if not the WC break. 

Maybe he'd have turned it round - with SOD, and possibly others, the dressing room and fresh faces in maybe it'd have worked.

But say it didn't - was the assumption we could then bin him and recover to avoid relegation?

Alternatively was the plan to starve him of resources until he chucked it himself? But then never mind looking for a new manager we'd barely have had a squad had he stumbled past August.

I have a lot understanding for the board who frequently have to make marginal decisions and get abused for it from reactionaries without the facts.

However, you need to say that how this season has gone had a large feel of inevitability about it and comes down to the fact we bottled making the tough decision in summer/eating humble pie on his extension.

Had we bulleted him the morning after the Celtic game we could have presented it mutually, he'd have been applauded out (ish) and we'd have been on the hook for a lot of cash but less than we'd have got back for beating Sligo.

Alternatively back him and at least see if there's a chance of redemption.

Doing what we did by splitting the difference was largely destined to turn out like this.

As I said I think the contract / compensation had played a large part in any decision making process. 

Relieve him of his duties and my understanding is that he would have been due the remainder of his contract. The small fact that Alexander was the one who said it was time for a change meant we paid out a lot less. 

I also agree with your points. There were warning signs galore. But I still maintain that the Board are more culpable for us being out of the Scottish cup this season that the Conference league. Just my opinion.

2 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

I'm surprised there aren't Serie A teams being linked with Max Johnstone considering the success of the full backs that have went over there.

Notice Brighton are the latest club interested apparently.

Chances of holding onto him are certainly lessening.

Probably true. Best for the club if he moves to a Premiership team as we get more in compensation if I recall. 

Maybe a loan back as well as he is unlikely to play for Brighton anytime soon.

Surprised we had never thought to offer him a contract before now. Maybe we did. Maybe he will stay to get more game time and do a Turnbull. Unlikely to be less interest in him after another half/full season playing for Motherwell. 

10 hours ago, capt_oats said:

:lol:

Aye, it was Cardiff earlier on today as well.

Far play, his agent is grafting like f**k.

I look forward to the ‘exclusive’ Bayern Munich and Barcelona links tomorrow.

Is this his only spell in the Motherwell first team? I appreciate he's had various loan spells at QoS, amongst others.