Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

11 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

He got that opportunity but - Queens fans will probably have a better idea than me - it doesn't feel like he kicked on in the way that you'd expect someone dropping down from the Premiership would. He certainly didn't have the same impact for them that Simon Murray did.

I know many, many of them and all of them agree that he's nowhere near good enough for even a promotion chasing Championship side. I think it makes sense for everyone involved here to see if he can find a new club. 

14 hours ago, Swello said:

Falkirk in a nerve shredder. Dougie to the rescue as ever.

ETA - we actually relegated 2 teams that day by winning - Airdrie went down as a lovely bonus :)

St. Johnstone were relegated at Fir Park the following year as well.  Last day of terracing at what is now the Cooper Stand.  St. Johnstone did win 1-0 that day tbf, so technically it wasn't us that put them down.

14 hours ago, Swello said:

Falkirk in a nerve shredder. Dougie to the rescue as ever.

ETA - we actually relegated 2 teams that day by winning - Airdrie went down as a lovely bonus :)

Remember that very well...but if you thought that was a nerve-shredding penultimate day, had results gone differently that weekend, the last day of the season would have been a winner-stays-up-loser-goes-down four-pointer death-match with Airdrie at Broomfield.

The very thought gives me the heebie jeebies even 30 years on!

Yes - that Airdrie game would have been the end of days - it might explain why playoffs with Rangers aside, it was the most nervous I felt before a game. It's also mental that a team with those players in it (basically a blend of the cup winning team and the fantastic mid 90's team that was to follow) would end up in the grubber. 

53 minutes ago, Swello said:

Yes - that Airdrie game would have been the end of days - it might explain why playoffs with Rangers aside, it was the most nervous I felt before a game. It's also mental that a team with those players in it (basically a blend of the cup winning team and the fantastic mid 90's team that was to follow) would end up in the grubber. 

I think it was a combination of a few things. 91/92 was a massive hangover which continued into the next season and we were then riddled with injuries. Players like Martin and McKinnon - obviously remembered as brilliant - also took a while to settle and ramp up their form.

We were absolutely doomed at Xmas - six or seven adrift? (The equivalent to nine or ten now!!) But from memory we were the third or fourth best team in the league January-May 93 and actually clawed it back with room to spare, largely on the back of a great run at home, and set the tone for what was to come the next season.

3 hours ago, KirkySuperSub said:

Sounds like their youth team could probably give their first team a decent game right now!

Their youth team will be their first team next season. Not much money to play with in League One.

16 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

By today's standards, how many times would we have sacked McLean during his run? 

There were folk shouting for it that season I remember. By the time he left, he was the only manager we'd had since I started going - I understand how monarchists felt when the queen died.

3 hours ago, well fan for life said:

I know many, many of them and all of them agree that he's nowhere near good enough for even a promotion chasing Championship side. I think it makes sense for everyone involved here to see if he can find a new club. 

Exactly what QoS fans were telling us before we signed him.

Sorry to hear Lamie has had health worries. Regardless of whether he is good enough to be a first team pick for Motherwell, its never good to hear about in a relatively young person. Hope he gets back to full fitness soon and can kickstart his career whether it be with us or another club.......

Edited by joewarkfanclub

Disappointing but not surprising that we did not manage to beat a team with 10 men. 

But….KVV scores and we did not lose. It is still in our hands come the final game.

There is NO need to be disappointed. None. 

Look at the team we were joint bottom with in February. A team that spunked more money than most teams building their squad. I saw them sign Watt, then Levitt, then Middleton, then McGrath etc etc. with envy. With a Manager that thought we were beyond saving. f**k them.

Would have liked the £100k their fans would have brought but that is still substantially less than the millions we would have lost if we were relegated.

2 minutes ago, Blink182 said:

I feel like last week Van Veen was the record holder for beating Dargo. Now this week he's joing record holder with Viduka? 

Is there 2 separate records going on?

I think people made a distinction between non-OF in the first instance, and the easy-street chancers in the second 🥴

3 minutes ago, Blink182 said:

I feel like last week Van Veen was the record holder for beating Dargo. Now this week he's joing record holder with Viduka? 

Is there 2 separate records going on?

Dargo was for the SPL/SPFL which all started in the 2000/2001 season.

Viduka is the best postwar record and Van Veen is now equal to it.