Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

6 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Connelly, Campbell and Wilson confirmed as having signed extensions.

I see they've been bumped up to the First Team squad list on the official anaw.

Campbell into the centre half slot immediately, please. 

An absolute fucking unit of a lad. He's also not Lamie or Mugabi. 

1 hour ago, Kapowzer said:

I asked them the question a few months back on their forum and they said he was miles apart and they felt lucky to have him, well that was he gist.

I had to remind myself that Grimmy is on that list on the dressing room wall and gets to wear a special top as he's in the 100 appearances club - as in my mind he was a squad player, not someone who was a regular starter. Still - the idea that he's a standout in the championship had passed me by. 

29 minutes ago, Desp said:

He is also very very highly rated. Prior to injuries obviously.

Had some top top teams after him. Has offers elsewhere still at a higher level but feels he owed Motherwell for sticking by him during his injuries. 

Hopeful he gets game time. 

Edited by wellboy1991

My United mate asked me about Grimmy, gives everything he has, can run in the most acute diagonal, speaks a different language, I had to admit I loved him.

Edited by ropy

21 minutes ago, ropy said:

My United mate asked me about Grimmy, gives everything he has, can run run in the most acute diagonal, speaks a different language, I had to admit I loved him.

Golden handshaking Tony to make funds available for Grimmy has given me life.

Edited by Kapowzer

3 hours ago, Swello said:

I had to remind myself that Grimmy is on that list on the dressing room wall and gets to wear a special top as he's in the 100 appearances club - as in my mind he was a squad player, not someone who was a regular starter. Still - the idea that he's a standout in the championship had passed me by. 

He's also a very talented writer, gets great feedback on his features especially his passion, National Hunt racing. He's a connection of Grand National winner Corach Rambler.

thoughtsfromthefoothills.com

Edited by C4mmy31

3 hours ago, C4mmy31 said:

He's also a very talented writer, gets great feedback on his features especially his passion, National Hunt racing. He's a connection of Grand National winner Corach Rambler.

Thoughtsfrom'tfootills. 

Had heard about his writing before, doubt I'd understand a single fucking word if he did an audio version himself though. He's a top lad, hope it works out for him at Utd.

5 hours ago, C4mmy31 said:

I'd seen that before. It's good but reminds me of that Friends episode where Joey uses a thesaurus for the first time.

11 hours ago, eliphas said:

Interesting on a few levels that.

Firstly, makes sense to announce them all together. Very much a 'youth' players re-signing with Clarkson in the picture on the website too.

Connelly - Can't see him being first team material. But you need goalies about and he seems to be trusted by the coaches. Fine.

Wilson - Only a year is interesting given Hammy had him pegged as one of the next to watch. Also, he's your hoody man I think, not Paton. 

Campbell - Must be serious doubts over his knee if he's quoted as a 'short term' deal but when you look at his squad page it does say May 2024. So, who knows. 

Whoever is writing the news stories is making it well more confusing than it needs to be.

Good spot re: Wilson. That's the same jacket from the photos the were posted on Monday. I guess the photo with Clarkson was taken at the same time.

I'd clocked the language about Campbell's 'short term' deal and the inconsistency between that and the squad page having his contract as May 24 which is the same as the other two.

Agree though, in itself it's a small thing but it feels like whoever is writing our news content at the moment is tying themselves in knots a bit when they really don't have to. 

Either way, pleased that he's signed since as @wellboy1991 says Campbell seems to be one who has consistently attracted attention. There's a FourFourTwo news story about him from 2020 - when he was 16 - saying we had accepted offers from Liverpool, Leeds and Brighton and it seems he had a chat with them (actually a quick Google shows that story was aggregated on a few sites).

We're always having a moan about players getting hoovered up by those types of clubs before they've kicked a baw for our first team so the fact that he's still here and looks like an absolute unit who might be quite good means it'd be nice if we actually made a go of getting him into the first team.

Pathways and all that.

Edited by capt_oats

30 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

We're always having a moan about players getting hoovered up by those types of clubs before they've kicked a baw for our first team so the fact that he's still here and looks like an absolute unit who might be quite good means it'd be nice if we actually made a go of getting him into the first team.

And, crucially, he's not Ricki Lamie or Bevis Mugabi. Which is important for me at least. 

10 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

I’m all aboard the bring Lang hame train.

Sadly not going to happen. He will have bigger suitors than ourselves as he scored something like 20+ goals in 45 odd games. Plus he is contracted until summer 2025. 

Moult on a pay as you play or available to play and Devante Cole would keep me happy. Until that is Cole goes back south (YET) again after scoring many goals. Rinse and repeat….

11 hours ago, Desp said:

It's maybe the biggest difference in the last 10 or 15 years - most young players used to arrive in the first team and look like wee skinny boys compared to older pro's but now, they're obviously getting built up from an earlier age (or getting chosen for being physically strong). 

6 minutes ago, Swello said:

It's maybe the biggest difference in the last 10 or 15 years - most young players used to arrive in the first team and look like wee skinny boys compared to older pro's but now, they're obviously getting built up from an earlier age (or getting chosen for being physically strong). 

Aye, I'm always minded of Jamie Pollock. Looked a lovely player, just built like the end of a fiver.

1 hour ago, welldaft said:

Sadly not going to happen. He will have bigger suitors than ourselves as he scored something like 20+ goals in 45 odd games. Plus he is contracted until summer 2025. 

Moult on a pay as you play or available to play and Devante Cole would keep me happy. Until that is Cole goes back south (YET) again after scoring many goals. Rinse and repeat….

I don't doubt Lang will have suitors better than us, but he only scored 1 goal in 35 games (29 of them starts) last season.

Maybe the championship is just a bit above his ceiling (like Devante Cole who had a good season in League One) and maybe getting paid late, playing for a basket case of a club in a relegation battle contributed too, but I don't think his stock is as high as it was last summer.

Still probably too high for us right enough 🤣

I've got a question that's been bugging me since the club put this Tweet out a while back. It's very picking nits so apologies in advance:

We've been a top flight club since 1985/86 so next season is our 39th since then. Does the first season not count as 'consecutive' hence the club calling it as 38? Like, our first 'consecutive' season would have been 86/87?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Motherwell_F.C._seasons

Fwiw, Wiki has 23/24 down as our 39th 'consecutive' season.

Screenshot2023-06-22at15_14_56.thumb.png.e17ae31c6a7b62fd807491e4b8a78a04.png

Edited by capt_oats