Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 hours ago, Kempes said:

I remember Clyde got a player from Dundee United. Craig Brown said Jim McLean didn’t use him, as all he did was score goals…Guess it’s down to how many goals you score.

Peter Dolan ?

Could be a masterstroke, Bair knocking folk about, Biereth running off him, Wilkinson following up behind to put away the scraps, no Butcher to drag us back to the 18 yard box, two midfielders pushing us forward.  What’s not to like?

Kettlewell may see it different. 

Jeezo. That's a classic overthink of a line up. Can't see it working but I'm prepared to give it a chance and see how it goes the first 30. My prediction, midfield will be over run, our wingbacks won't get forward, our defenders will have to step out, leaving gaps and we will concede. 

Maybe I'll give it 20 mins.

13 minutes ago, ropy said:

Could be a masterstroke, Bair knocking folk about, Biereth running off him, Wilkinson following up behind to put away the scraps, no Butcher to drag us back to the 18 yard box, two midfielders pushing us forward.  What’s not to like?

As much as I think this could work, my concern is that as we stumbled across Bair and Wilkinson in midfield due to the sending off, it looks like Kettlewell is just pointing at stuff and saying that worked once.

is that a plan?  

45 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

It almost as if he wants sacked now. 

If we get what I expect we will tonight with that line up (fucking horsed), the cvnt can just forget getting back on the bus and relocate back up there. That's an abomination of a selection. 

29 minutes ago, ropy said:

The problem is that every time we try 3 up front they end up either tripping over each other trying to do the same thing or ending up miles away from the action and totally nullified.

I understand that not every signing will work, and some players take time to bed in. Davor has played 100+ professional games and has been called up internationally, there is absolutely no way he's "wilkinson in midfield" bad.

I get that Gent can't defend, but who can right now?

I can't believe he's managed to get himself into a scenario where his reluctance to change from a back three and his constant tinkering of formations are simultaneously a problem.

For me, I'd say Spittal and Mika are the players I rate most highly. Tonight we won't get the most out of Spittal as he is playing too deep and as per the previous games using this formation, we won't get the most out of Mika because Wilkinson and Bair will be in his road.

If we've got to the stage where we can't freshen up the team with the left back and central midfielder that he signed, when we need a left back and a central midfielder, then that's on him.

Hopefully, tonight he completely proves me wrong, but that team selection is tipping the scales in my opinion of his future.

He's almost doing the polar opposite of what made him successful when he first came in.

1 minute ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I can't believe he's managed to get himself into a scenario where his reluctance to change from a back three and his constant tinkering of formations are simultaneously a problem.

For me, I'd say Spittal and Mika are the players I rate most highly. Tonight we won't get the most out of Spittal as he is playing too deep and as per the previous games using this formation, we won't get the most out of Mika because Wilkinson and Bair will be in his road.

If we've got to the stage where we can't freshen up the team with the left back and central midfielder that he signed, when we need a left back and a central midfielder, then that's on him.

Hopefully, tonight he completely proves me wrong, but that team selection is tipping the scales in my opinion of his future.

He's almost doing the polar opposite of what made him successful when he first came in.

This. Absolutely spot on. 

As you said, happy to be proven wrong and we end up with three points, but that selection is all over the place on paper. 

5 minutes ago, fat_tony said:

The problem is that every time we try 3 up front they end up either tripping over each other trying to do the same thing or ending up miles away from the action and totally nullified.

I am hoping it is not 3 up front, Bair and Wilkinson got some experience of midfield on Saturday, one must play there, at least as a #10.