Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

The range of injuries, and how they were caused, makes it hard for me to blanket blame one thing.  It's a mixture of bad tackles in games, shite plastic pitches, breaking shit in training. I think when Les Hutch was involved he talked about eliminating muscular injuries as that was a concern. You can't do much about breaks and serious impact injuries, but surely we could do more to prevent strains and the like?

I'm definitely putting obika on the club, as we knew his history and should never have signed him with that knowledge.  I also have to question our medicals if someone did their hammy just running a couple of weeks after signing.

Nicholson is a similar red flag, where he was injured recently and hasn't played in a bit.

I think we should recall all our loans so they can get injured at home.

Fucking hell, I mean, Fucking. Hell.!!

We've had some shite luck with injuries in the past, but this season is something else. Absolutely terrible for both us and the boy if true, as I think he would have been a really good addition to the squad. Hopefully Celtic will see their own facilities and resources as being his best option for rehab, allowing the loan to be cancelled and the saving on his wages made available to bring someone else in. 

It really is looking more and more like the footballing gods have decided that this is our year to fvck off to the seaside's. A big job ahead to deny them their wishes.

So of the 12, you'd ignore Souare and Obika are perma crocks, Biereth and McGinn were impact - can happen. Casey too or did he just twist at County? I'd given up by then. Slattery and Miller can probably be taken out the blame side in their circumstances...but that's still way too many muscle injuries, especially in training, to be a coincidence or bad luck to me.

Clearly guessing from the outside blah blah...but on the face of it, an overhaul needed.

7 hours ago, rowsdower said:

I'm definitely putting obika on the club, as we knew his history and should never have signed him with that knowledge.  I also have to question our medicals if someone did their hammy just running a couple of weeks after signing.

Nicholson is a similar red flag, where he was injured recently and hasn't played in a bit.

I think we should recall all our loans so they can get injured at home.

I definitely think we now take more risks due to our standing at this moment in time.

Last season particuarly, thinking of us signing Moult and Aarons. Moult had obviously been brilliant for us previously and whilst Aarons was just getting going on his loan when COVID struck, but he was highly rated and had played in the EPL for Newcastle. If you compare that to who we signed to replace them in the January, Crankshaw and Mandron were let go by clubs in League Two.

It's all about risk and reward, but you can see why we done that, given what the alternatives were. However, we've not had much of the reward side of things when we have taken chances.

What an absolute clusterfuck of a season. Get it in the sea.

I get that injuries can happen but I've not known anything like this season for them. Has there actually been a point in the season we've had all players available? Injuries like Mika, McGinn and Casey can be put down to bad luck but other than that you've got to wonder what we're doing in training to have them be such a regular occurrence. Too much focus on one part of training? Not enough recovery time between games and training? Who knows what it is but at this point it's a case of waiting to see who's next.

39 minutes ago, AdamMFC said:

What an absolute clusterfuck of a season. Get it in the sea.

I get that injuries can happen but I've not known anything like this season for them. Has there actually been a point in the season we've had all players available? Injuries like Mika, McGinn and Casey can be put down to bad luck but other than that you've got to wonder what we're doing in training to have them be such a regular occurrence. Too much focus on one part of training? Not enough recovery time between games and training? Who knows what it is but at this point it's a case of waiting to see who's next.

I guess it is a difficult balancing act. To be fair Kettlewell did address the amount of injuries in his press conference and actively trying to manage the workload to reduce them. But football players need to train and to be fit enough for top flight football they need to train often and with intensity. 

I assume Montgomery injury happened whilst he was in the presser or after as he was not crying which you would forgive him for doing.

The point made above and indeed Kettlewell made it himself. With the wages we have available we are relying on these types of players:

1. Players whose careers are on a downward trend. 2. Players who have been out injured. 3. Young players finding their way and /or out on loan by their clubs. 4. Players who are not wanted by their clubs for one reason or another and we maybe can afford a % of their wages.

All of those categories carry a risk not least number 2 which is where we are not catching a break. I mean it is reasonable to assume hat if you sign 4 players with a history of injuries then maybe 2 of them can stay fit. Apparently not 🤷‍♂️.

We've had terrible terrible seasons with injuries. In fact I'm pretty sure every manager has said it's the worst they've known at some point. 

Not sure this can be pinned on the manager or staff and their methods tbh. 

Mika, McGinn, Casey, Miller are all on field things. Butcher, Obika, Soure, Blaney are all injury prone. Slattery and Shaw we don't really know but seem to be different injuries 

Edited by eliphas

If we survive the drop this season then I think we just have to accept that we're doomed to spend the rest of eternity in the top flight. I mean what can be thrown at us next year ,plague of locusts; outbreak of leprosy?! 

7 minutes ago, Marinello said:

The only hope is that Monty's injury has happened before the end of the window.

Will SK test the water with Furlong?

noticed he has been getting some game time in the last few weeks, and recorded an assist, so I think a move for him is quite unlikely.

Matty Penney however...