Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

3 hours ago, 18May1991 said:

Agree re the run of games being key. I watched him early in the season- against East Fife I think - and he was awful. You can almost see him growing into it over the season to where he is now - fucking fantastic. 

I think his debut was the Dundee league match so he missed the LC early rounds

Well done to Motherwell. Brightens the day up to see Rangers getting beaten.

I don't really get the whole haven't beat them in the league at Ibrox for 27 years kind of stat. You beat them in other competitions, you won at Ibrox in Oct-2017. I like statistics, but just seems like a stat for stats sake to me. 

12 minutes ago, ropy said:

I think his debut was the Dundee league match so he missed the LC early rounds

Yep. Think he's getting mixed up with Wilkinson, he played up top against East Fife and looked poor.

9 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I don't really get the whole haven't beat them in the league at Ibrox for 27 years kind of stat. You beat them in other competitions, you won at Ibrox in Oct-2017. I like statistics, but just seems like a stat for stats sake to me. 

No. We didn't.

We beat them at Hampden in October 2017.

I'm not really sure there's much to *get* tbh. We hadn't beat them at Ibrox in the league in the lifetime of many of our support after a period in the 90s where beating them was a reasonably regular occurrence.

It's not really surprising people are at least commenting on it.

Anyway, it's worth re-visiting the last one because it's a good laugh.

Edited by capt_oats

On 25/02/2024 at 17:21, Casagolda said:

I feel like I’ve seen worse Motherwell teams but I’m struggling to remember a weaker one(mentally). Certainly feels like if you apply just a bit of pressure we will invariably crack. In 2024 alone we’ve already had Easter Road, Pittodrie and now today where we’ve contrived to throw away points from strong positions. 

:lol:

A week is a long time in football..

To be honest, I wasn't even surprised when I heard we'd taken the lead. For all the criticism Kettlewell has had this season, outside Rangers on Christmas Eve we've ran the OF close in just about every game under him. However like most, once they inevitably got their penalty I was fearing the worst and hoping to cling onto a point at best.

So absolutely fair fucks to them for showing the character to go on to win it. Kettlewell deserves huge credit as well, could've easily shut up shop and settled for a point but the Nicholson for Davor sub felt bold and showed he believed we could still win it. To be honest it looked like we rode our luck at times(as you have to) but it honestly feels like we deserved a bit of that for our performances against them both this season.

I said after Cappielow/Pittodrie that I felt Kettlewell needed a big win or two before the end of the season to put some credit in the bank for the inevitable poor runs that were sure to follow and fair play, they don't come much bigger than this.

13 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

No. We didn't.

We beat them at Hampden in October 2017.

Fair douze. I just meant it's like an edited stat. Team x hasn't beaten Team y on a Sunday in the month of March for 50 years kind of deal. Anyway, not here to argue - enjoy.

Edited by 2426255

I noticed the celebration at the time but I was far too busy with my own for it to actually register what he was doing. Brilliant 🤣

Screenshot_20240303_112759_Facebook.thumb.jpg.076f1131904a7383d58273a539ddd407.jpg

To my fellow ‘Well fan who had their strip on wandering around Disney Springs yesterday afternoon, I hope your evening was as pleasant as mine. 

Just need to persuade the Mrs that we need to coincide more trips to Florida to coincide with games at Ibrox. 

Motherwell league wins at Ibrox only exist on VHS and online.

It took that long we completely missed the whole existence of DVD's.

5 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

A mix of things falling for him to give him confidence + an extended run of games is likely the key. Add in the fact youre probably playing to his strengths more while we were punting balls 5ft above him on the wing.

He/we are very much beneffitting, ironically, from the extensive injury list of forwards that we had, and we basically had to play him.

Amazing how things work out but  so glad that it has for him and us.

Cast your minds back to 2010 when we should’ve had 2 league wins v them in the same season. Drew 0-0 at Fir Park when Jim O’Brien missed a penalty with 2 minutes to go but worse was to come later in the season when we were winning 1-0 through a Tom Hateley free kick and then Ross Forbes scored a tap in to make it 2-0 only for it inexplicably to be chopped off for offside. Replays showed there was about 3 Rangers players playing him on. It’s up there with one of the worst decisions I’ve ever seen. Rangers eventually equalised and it finished 1-1. 

37 minutes ago, Cedrics Mighty Well Army said:

Don't we just know the other side of the arse will get skelped too today. Then it'll be "So whit? It didnae metter."

Throughly enjoying Hearts pump Sellick tbh. Even funnier that they missed a gift wrapped pen then got a guy sent off mins later. We really should have buried them in the first half last week, shame we made their Norwich reserve striker look like Ronaldo. 

Least both the bigots will be beeling as one could have overtaken the other while the other one could have developed a nice cushion. 

Loving our social media the past 24 hours, taking advantage of that feel good factor.