Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 hours ago, eliphas said:

My main dislike for it really is the manufactured nature of it. I get all the teams know what they need to do by this point in the year etc. and it's been signed up to etc. 

But taking us this season, we are still in the hunt  for 5th place really you could argue but because of  the split happening that could be whipped away come the weekend.  When in a normal league where we have another round of fixtures we could perhaps eat away at the gap and get there.  

Watched too many meaningless end of season games where we are so far off it from the others in the top 6 or pretty safe so the remaining games v the bottom 6 are pretty meaningless. 

I'd just rather it was a normal league structure basically 

The fannies who can't get their head around the points totals at the end of their season...I'm not in their camp...it's fairly straightforward that element. I also get the positives about teams around each other playing each other and the impact of that. Just feels manufactured and not for me really.

It's not a deal breaker like - just not a fan

In a "normal league" we'd be finishing on Saturday and you'd have no chance of finishing above 6th.

25 minutes ago, Swello said:

Agree with this - there has been some brilliant drama around the last day of the split over the years and it's never been very well covered...

I don't know whether I dislike agreeing with Rangers or Grant Russell more but the TV arrangement is farcical.

However, in the interests of fairness, it's worth pointing out that the reason we almost never do anything to benefit the long-term collective good is that it usually requires some short-term individual sacrifice and the clubs are certainly not volunteering for that.

19 hours ago, Munoz said:

We could be 7 points ahead of you if the unlikely happens. 

I am making MANY assumptions for this. I'm hoping I'm right but knowing us, The Dundee and Rangers game gets delayed, we beat Hibs and Aberdeen win only for Dundee to get a draw in the final game.

6 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

This is the last year of this TV deal and there will be far more games on next season.

That's positive, I missed that - I thought Sky only had the rights to more, I didn't realise they would definitely show them.

1 minute ago, Handsome_Devil said:

That's positive, I missed that - I thought Sky only had the rights to more, I didn't realise they would definitely show them.

I think their minimum has been upped, but the SPFL also have two extra packages of 10 games per season (ie 20 per season in total) which Sky have first dibs on, but which can be sold to another broadccaster if Sky decide they don't want them (which they probably won't given that they're showing basically every EFL non Saturday 3pm game from next season onwards).

The main issue around the broadcast "partner" is which side of the OF playing away this weekend and how many games have been televised from their stadium already.

This is the first top 2 struggle in a number of years but when Celtic were cakewalking it. A game like us vs Hibs with lots of jeopardy attached for both teams and Dundee's would be pied for the equivalent of Celtic visiting Almondvale which was a meaningless fixture and usually the day after.

Switching us and Hibs and Aberdeen vs Dundee to a noon KO or Sunday and flipping between the two is what should be done if Sky truly valued the product.

They just want eyes on for Gillette and William Hill adverts and they prob know they'll meet their quota with an arsecheek.

Edited by Vietnam91

I'd love Sky to have their pick of their 60 games or whatever then the other 160-odd are streamed via subscription on spfltv.

However, you're more likely to successfully negotiate world peace than find agreement on the details for that.

Feels like having this sort of pro is a really rare thing now - 500 games is your Craigan/Lasley/Hammell type (although they played that many for us rather than what looks like half the teams in the country for McGinn). I think if you're brining in multiple loanees from down South and various 1 or 2 season "permanent" signings from random places, that it's important to have a few that have been around our league for a long time...

More than happy if he signs up for next season.

I think the top flight and Championship formats are currently pretty good in terms of entertainment value but it feels like something could probably be done about Leagues 1 and 2. Not our problem and god willing it never will (so f**k the diddies) but from the outsides both leagues seem a bit stale with one team generally running away with it most years. Feels like that sort of level might be worth expanding to 18 or 20 teams. I generally quite like how often everybody plays each other in the top flight but I'm not sure if Annan necessarily have to play Cove four times a season.

6 minutes ago, Swello said:

Feels like having this sort of pro is a really rare thing now - 500 games is your Craigan/Lasley/Hammell type (although they played that many for us rather than what looks like half the teams in the country for McGinn). I think if you're brining in multiple loanees from down South and various 1 or 2 season "permanent" signings from random places, that it's important to have a few that have been around our league for a long time...

Aye it is. 

We have Rory McKenzie who'll likely have 400+ appearances for us when his deal expires next year but it's rare.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

In a "normal league" we'd be finishing on Saturday and you'd have no chance of finishing above 6th.

Unless I'm not following we'd have another round of fixtures to go...

24 minutes ago, Swello said:

Difficult decisions required. I think most could argue the positives to sign up all the current defenders as individuals but as a collective they are a shambles. 

I'd keep McGinn too but I wouldn't be keeping him and SOD for example. Difficult one 

17 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Unless I'm not following we'd have another round of fixtures to go...

Someone else can explain in more detail but you need to have 38 games maximum or something like that to allow for European/International commitments which means you can't have another full round of fixtures as that would take it to 44.

It's essentially why the split exists rather than all the "it adds excitement/meaningful games". It's purely functional.

Edited by capt_oats

44 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Someone else can explain in more detail but you need to have 38 games maximum or something like that to allow for European/International commitments which means you can't have another full round of fixtures as that would take it to 44.

It's essentially why the split exists rather than all the "it adds excitement/meaningful games". It's purely functional.

Yeah, I've seen that posted before, I guess my point was that in this world where I get my normal league, it wouldnt just end after 3 rounds of games like @craigkillie seemed to be inferring. I wasnt saying it's the 12 team setup we have now.

That's all really - didn't mean to cause all this chat. I still think the current setup is a bit 💩 regardless. But it's not changing anytime soon so what will be will be.

Edited by eliphas

2 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I think the top flight and Championship formats are currently pretty good in terms of entertainment value but it feels like something could probably be done about Leagues 1 and 2. Not our problem and god willing it never will (so f**k the diddies) but from the outsides both leagues seem a bit stale with one team generally running away with it most years. Feels like that sort of level might be worth expanding to 18 or 20 teams. I generally quite like how often everybody plays each other in the top flight but I'm not sure if Annan necessarily have to play Cove four times a season.

Was one of the suggestions during Hearts', definitely not just to benefit themselves and completely forgotten about now push to revitalise Scottish football via reconstruction, plans not 2 tiers of 12 and then a 3rd tier of 18 that led fed into the Highland/Lowland leagues?

It probably wasn't the worst idea tbh