Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

52 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I mean this is as a compliment but he seems a bit like Baraclough but less of a fruit loop?

327533-ian-baraclough-motherwell_orig.jp

Tbh, I'm getting strong Robinson v2.0 vibes.

One thing I would say is that having watched Grant's interview with him after he was announced, his wee bit on SSN earlier and that press conference - he's only just in the door but he already kind of feels like he's been here for ages in terms of tone and the marks he's hitting.

Dunno, maybe I'm just projecting with that.

Actually, it's probably more to do with him having almost 1000 club appearances, 40 caps and almost 400 games as a manager that he's just comfortable talking to the press.

Edited by capt_oats

17 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

To be honest in hindsight I'm quite glad we didn't appoint Wright. I already have quite a busy life and I don't really have time for another full time job traipsing about the internet defending Tommy Wright's honour like St Johnstone fans are apparently forced to.

"It’s very hard to escape the conclusion that Wright is suffering from familiarity, lazy assumptions and the fact that he doesn’t have a trendy beard, fade-shade haircut or doesn’t stand on the touchline like a disciple of Pep Guardiola with skinny trousers and a slim-fit jumper, rather than a club suit and an Alex Ferguson coat."

297.png

3 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

297.png

He's gone right off the cliff in the past month and I've no idea why.

Puts out some cracking articles, but last month he was claiming Zander Clark was off to the Euros, and last week claimed Zander Clark was the biggest reason we weren't further down the league.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He's gone right off the cliff in the past month and I've no idea why.

Puts out some cracking articles, but last month he was claiming Zander Clark was off to the Euros, and last week claimed Zander Clark was the biggest reason we weren't further down the league.

This bit I genuinely don't get.

Wright knows the territory inside out. He is calm under bottom of the league pressure. He improves players. He inspires players.

He adopts the style of football to suit them and not a preordained ‘philosophy’. And he was the manager Motherwell’s club captain Declan Gallagher wanted to play for when he decided to leave Livingston a couple of years ago.

Gallagher literally had the opportunity to play for Wright when he left Livi but chose to sign with us. Have I missed something about Gallagher being on record about wanting to play for TW?

9 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

297.png

That is genuinely bizarre - the few Saints-minded  folk that are seemingly seeing this as some sort of repudiation of Wright are a mile out - it's not like we've taken a failure or a first time rookie manager on board. I would imagine that this was a bit of a toss-up between Wright and Alexander at the end of the process.

There would have been no complaints whatsoever from the vast majority of 'Well supporters if Wright had got it but I would imagine the combination of Alexander's decent (but not stellar) track record coupled with his knowledge of the English lower leagues would have been a decent combination and probably slightly trumped Wright's equivalent record and better knowledge of the Scottish scene.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

So that was the first big press conference of...2021

“I thought that Aaron Chapman had been quite handy until last night when Robbo informed that he was, in fact, absolute pish”

5 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

This bit I genuinely don't get.

Gallagher literally had the opportunity to play for Wright when he left Livi but chose to sign with us. Have I missed something about Gallagher being on record about wanting to play for TW?

I've no idea tbh, I've certainly no memory of it around the time he was touted, just TW mewling about him choosing Motherwell.

3 minutes ago, Swello said:

That is genuinely bizarre - the few Saints-minded  folk that are seemingly seeing this as some sort of repudiation of Wright are a mile out - it's not like we've taken a failure or a first time rookie manager on board. I would imagine that this was a bit of a toss-up between Wright and Alexander at the end of the process.

There would have been no complaints whatsoever from the vast majority of 'Well supporters if Wright had got it but I would imagine the combination of Alexander's decent (but not stellar) track record coupled with his knowledge of the English lower leagues would have been a decent combination and probably slightly trumped Wright's equivalent record and better knowledge of the Scottish scene.

Worth remembering folk like Nicholson were virtually best friends with TW for his entire 8/9 years with us, so they will defend him/big him, with bias.

FWIW there seems a hefty amount of folk, on both sides of the argument, who don't seem to have bothered researching Alexander. 

Edited by RandomGuy.

3 hours ago, capt_oats said:

327533-ian-baraclough-motherwell_orig.jp

Tbh, I'm getting strong Robinson v2.0 vibes.

One thing I would say is that having watched Grant's interview with him after he was announced, his wee bit on SSN earlier and that press conference - he's only just in the door but he already kind of feels like he's been here for ages in terms of tone and the marks he's hitting.

Dunno, maybe I'm just projecting with that.

Actually, it's probably more to do with him having almost 1000 club appearances, 40 caps and almost 400 games as a manager that he's just comfortable talking to the press.

Just a wee reminder that Ian Barraclough got the Northern Ireland  job ahead of both Stephen Robinson and Tommy Wright.

Just a wee reminder that Ian Barraclough got the Northern Ireland  job ahead of both Stephen Robinson and Tommy Wright.

Neither Stephen Robinson or Tommy Wright can boast a 100% record home and away against Rangers.

Edited by ZX1886