Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

13 minutes ago, Swello said:

As we are seemingly taking a longer term view of building the squad with 3 year deals being handed out all over the place, it's interesting that we're looking to take on a short term loan. I assume this means that we are prepared to wait until the summer window to get a permanent signing in there (which I would be fine with TBH). 

It's also ironic that the club are addressing something that has been a glaring weakness from the early part of the season at a time where with the emergence of Cornelius, the bonus return of Donnelly and the fact that Goss is (against all odds) looking like an excellent signing, that the concerns have gone away to some extent.

Add to that the addition of Tierney.

Speaking to a few Celtic fans this morning, they have been impressed from the little they have seen from him, slotted in well against Betis. As others have mentioned, it might leave the midfield quite over loaded however you can see a couple being offloaded. is there a chance we could see Cornelius get regular game time in the championship on loan off the back of this?

wouldn't be the worst idea if he was guaranteed 90 minutes every week.

Shaw is an interesting one as (from a look at Wyscout at least), be predominantly a left sided central midfielder, but has also played as a centre back, a holding player, an attacking midfielder, and (just the once right enough) as a right back.

In that sense, and that he appears to be quite good; makes sense I guess.

There was an article about changing to 5 subs, didn’t read it but this may be driving the requirement for an extra body.  At the moment subs are used to pack the defence if we are winning or change the front 3 if we are losing.  If the subs rule changes we may want more options.

Between the inevitable absences due to Covid and the even-more-inevitable Donnelly/Slattery suspensions I'm not opposed to having another midfielder available. O'Hara's out long term, Crawford's hopefully getting binned off back to Middle Earth and I reckon Tierney will be one that's aimed at next season but will be involved this season. 

22 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Between the inevitable absences due to Covid and the even-more-inevitable Donnelly/Slattery suspensions I'm not opposed to having another midfielder available. O'Hara's out long term, Crawford's hopefully getting binned off back to Middle Earth and I reckon Tierney will be one that's aimed at next season but will be involved this season. 

That's pretty much how I see it as well. Goss has a habit of picking up daft bookings as well, he's currently on 4.

@Swello's point about squad building is interesting as it definitely feels like this is a case where we'd look to do our more permanent business in the summer (acknowledging that Tierney's just signed a 3.5 year deal).

It's maybe recency bias as we've been doing quite well of late but if we were to add Shaw to the group there's probably far less of a drop off that we'd see with a Robinson squad eg: Campbell to Crawford or Donnelly to O'Hara as the holding mid (I'm not an O'Hara hater but he struggled with that role IMO).

Seems wild to say it given it was the area that was of most concern a couple of months ago but you could probably perm any 3 from Donnelly, Slattery, Goss, Maguire, Cornelius plus Tierney and potentially Shaw and be happy enough. 

3 hours ago, capt_oats said:

:lol: - it came from the no doubt 100% accurate FM22 database (and as such probably shouldn't be taken too seriously).

Only being an aficionado of the GOAT version of the game, I am both disappointed yet impressed that this is the case.

What classification do they give to N'Golo Kanté? 

2 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Always remember a festive newspaper line which described us as a "Feast of Stevens" in the late 90s/Early 00s?

Presumably, from memory, would be what, Woods, Hammell, McMillan and Nicholas? Maybe Craig and or Craigan?

Stephen Halliday. Who could forget Stephen Halliday. 

We've got lots of central midfielders, so the only way I'd have wanted us to strengthen there would have been if we were adding quality/potential or something different. I'm happy that in Shaw / Tierney that we have that. 

I'm happy that a guy who was fairly regular in the Championship and was coveted by bigger clubs fits the profile of someone that would add something to our midfield. I saw that Betis game that he played in and he looked decent, but that's my only sample.

On the topic of central midfielders, I'm not sure I'd have jumped the gun with a 2.5 year deal for Maguire at this stage. He is decent enough, but at this stage of his development, I'd liked to have seen him impose himself more on being a regular starter.

I also feel sorry for the St. Johnstone fans reading this thread and thinking Ciftci could turn their season around, where in reality he'll probably do close to nothing before scoring a hat-trick against Livingston on the final day of the season when they're already relegated.

2 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

We've got lots of central midfielders, so the only way I'd have wanted us to strengthen there would have been if we were adding quality/potential or something different. I'm happy that in Shaw / Tierney that we have that. 

I'm happy that a guy who was fairly regular in the Championship and was coveted by bigger clubs fits the profile of someone that would add something to our midfield. I saw that Betis game that he played in and he looked decent, but that's my only sample.

There's not really that much YouTube footage of him but he looks fucking huge.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

It's maybe recency bias as we've been doing quite well of late but if we were to add Shaw to the group there's probably far less of a drop off that we'd see with a Robinson squad eg: Campbell to Crawford or Donnelly to O'Hara as the holding mid (I'm not an O'Hara hater but he struggled with that role IMO).

100% this is the case. The drop off at the end of Robinson was absolutely crippling. Basically hoping Seedorf or The Competition Winner would somehow do something.

O'Hara is not a holding midfielder. We seemed to get the best out of him when he was given a free role to just storm about winning headers and battering folk. Although I'd say we've not seen that type of game from him since the 4-4 St Mirren game when he dragged us back into it. 

Incidentally I just stuck the highlights of that game on and I can only assume there's been some Space Jam-esque event that's turned Bevis into the Ugandan Canavarro since then. 

2 hours ago, well fan for life said:

The Competition Winner

Whatever happened to him?* I remember Falkirk, but nothing after that.

*I can't be arsed trying spell his name in a google search and THE COMPETITION WINNER only brings you back here circa 2018

4 minutes ago, Swello said:

Whatever happened to him?* I remember Falkirk, but nothing after that.

*I can't be arsed trying spell his name in a google search and THE COMPETITION WINNER only brings you back here circa 2018

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/deimantas-petravicius/profil/spieler/190506

Aguilas FC in Murcia, Spain. Fair play to him getting a jolly round Spain with his hilarious lack of ability.