Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

16 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

To be fair, this is what I actually think will happen. 

Lasley will come in for O’Hara, he will shoot from 20 yards but it will scuttle past the post like it always did.

Just now, For Your Pies Only said:

It's interesting how well O'Hara has done in Paisley - definitely their standout player last season.

He always had potential and worked hard but it never seemed to fall in to place when he was here. 

I expect he'll have a strong game on Saturday.

He's injured 

1 hour ago, For Your Pies Only said:

It's interesting how well O'Hara has done in Paisley - definitely their standout player last season.

He always had potential and worked hard but it never seemed to fall in to place when he was here. 

I expect he'll have a strong game on Saturday.

MOH had occasional games for us when he was unplayable but they came along barely once a month.

I suspect us not being sure how to use him as part of the 'balance' hampered him but fair to him and SR, he found a consistency for St Mirrren last season he simply never had with us.

4 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

MOH had occasional games for us when he was unplayable but they came along barely once a month.

I suspect us not being sure how to use him as part of the 'balance' hampered him but fair to him and SR, he found a consistency for St Mirrren last season he simply never had with us.

Aye, this is pretty much it.  

O'Hara is a good player at our level but he just didn't seem to fit with us.  It happens.  He's done really well at St. Mirren, fair play to him.

14 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Did he trigger a year extension?

Given what Paul McGinn said our reporting of contract length has not always been accurate. And we have paid small fees for guys in the past who you wouldn't say would have been big earners. e.g. Ryan Bowman.

Devil is in some of the detail that's not in the public domain I'd think.  Kettlewell would be unlikely to sanction an extension to then just be looking to punt a couple months later, however. 

A fairly random piece of memorabilia I spotted in a charity shop a couple of days ago: a drum signed by Motherwell players.

(It’s in Kinder Handl in Battlefield, just in case there’s currently an autographed drum shaped hole in your life.)

86C561C6-65A0-4041-AC6C-88784851EAB9.jpeg

I was having a scan through the mid week EFL highlights.  L1 and L2 are littered with former Motherwell players.  I had already forgotten about Jordan Roberts but he is doing well.  And Exeter are a mini St Mirren in their collection of  ex-‘Well players.

Obika was out for 6 months at Morcambe with a hamstring, it wouldn't surprise me if this is a recurrence of that. Timeline wise, Kettlewell doesn't sound very optimistic. I think most would agree Obika is a good option to have, the problem is his availability. I suspect Kettlewell probably re-signed him with the acceptance of this risk.

If we can get Efford fit, I don't have a massive issue with keeping him. The issue comes when we are playing with two strikers and have Efford and Obika out for half the season.

Should be a good game tomorrow, I don't think St Mirren are as good as last year but they still have an effective Robbo system.  I am sticking by my guns about Mandron but would be typical if he popped up with a goal

Edited by Luke92

Efford certainly isn't terrible, but I think he's becoming another one of those players that doesn't play, for a number of months, and starts to be remembered as a better, or more impactful, player than they actually are. Short purple patch under Hammell aside, he's not really done much in his time at Fir Park.

If we have another option lined up, who will work in Kettlewell's system, then it might be the best for everyone that Efford finds a new club. He'll probably do absolutely fine wherever he ends up, but I don't think he'll remain a Motherwell player for much longer. 

11 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

Efford certainly isn't terrible, but I think he's becoming another one of those players that doesn't play, for a number of months, and starts to be remembered as a better, or more impactful, player than they actually are. Short purple patch under Hammell aside, he's not really done much in his time at Fir Park.

If we have another option lined up, who will work in Kettlewell's system, then it might be the best for everyone that Efford finds a new club. He'll probably do absolutely fine wherever he ends up, but I don't think he'll remain a Motherwell player for much longer. 

I think some people's memories tend to work in the opposite direction too.