Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

5 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:
Well' fans. What do you guys think of Dunne? 
Asking just from the perspective of someone who's of course only seen him a handful of times and wasnt very sure of him at all. As guys who of course see him more regularly. Am I missing something? 

As a footballer he's pretty hopeless. His passing in particular is shocking.

He does a decent job as a defender at our level because he's big, strong and fast.

Edited by Ron Aldo

3 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Asking just from the perspective of someone who's of course only seen him a handful of times and wasnt very sure of him at all. As guys who of course see him more regularly. Am I missing something? 

He's a mixed bag really. When he arrived he'd been out for ages with an injury (it's been a theme with him) so when he was dropped into the side he was all over the place, even more so when he's been tried at left back.

That said once he got a run of games and was bedded in to the side he was hugely improved. Offered a huge amount of pace at the back which often bailed him out of some of his more bombscare moments. As @Ron Aldo says if you're looking for a "footballer" it's not him but there's no denying when he's fit his pace and size means he's got more than enough to do a job at our level.

Last season he came back from the summer and looked absolutely built. A proper unit. Then he picked up a groin injury in the Betfred groups and that was the last we saw of him.

On a purely footballing level - forgetting about the extent to which he's injury prone - I think most of us would be happy for him to stick around but ultimately of the 3 seasons he's been here he's missed about 1.5 of them through injury.

11 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

His passing and distribution is woeful, but he played the through ball that led to Moult's glorious second in the semi-final against Rangers which more than made up for all the others.

12 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Scott nods home 15 mins into his first start for Hull. 

Genuinely let out a wee cheer when I saw that come through on Soccer Saturday there.

Going by various other MFC affiliated socials I wasn't the only one. Some boi.

Edited by capt_oats

The very fairest of fucks to Gillespie. 

Very accomplished keeper at our level, bar his sometimes suspect distribution, but not convinced of how much first team action he is likely to see at Newcastle. 

A 3 year deal, on what will be vastly more money than he's earned in his career thus far is superb for the guy though and the very best of luck to him. Another example of 'the model' working, and hopefully helpful when trying to entice players to come to us. 

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

He's a mixed bag really. When he arrived he'd been out for ages with an injury (it's been a theme with him) so when he was dropped into the side he was all over the place, even more so when he's been tried at left back.

That said once he got a run of games and was bedded in to the side he was hugely improved. Offered a huge amount of pace at the back which often bailed him out of some of his more bombscare moments. As @Ron Aldo says if you're looking for a "footballer" it's not him but there's no denying when he's fit his pace and size means he's got more than enough to do a job at our level.

Last season he came back from the summer and looked absolutely built. A proper unit. Then he picked up a groin injury in the Betfred groups and that was the last we saw of him.

On a purely footballing level - forgetting about the extent to which he's injury prone - I think most of us would be happy for him to stick around but ultimately of the 3 seasons he's been here he's missed about 1.5 of them through injury.

Just signed a short term contract.

1 hour ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Mince to start with then found his feet.

Had a really great season when we made both cup finals and gave us a way to switch easily between a back 3 and back 4. Terrific pace and decent in the air. His distribution is very limited, mostly consists of a chip up the line. Anything requiring more finesse is a problem.

Found out when played at CB in a back 4. Teams were able to force him onto the ball to make a forward pass and he just couldn't do it. Lost his place to Hartley who stil isn't great at passing but servicable compared to Dunne.

He is likable guy though and always gave his best on the park.

1 hour ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

His passing and distribution is woeful, but he played the through ball that led to Moult's glorious second in the semi-final against Rangers which more than made up for all the others.

I mean, I love the big man but calling that a through ball is a bit of a fucking stretch :lol:

It's good to have you on the forum, Charles! 

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Genuinely let out a wee cheer when I saw that come through on Soccer Saturday there.

Going by various other MFC affiliated socials I wasn't the only one. Some boi.

Whats the general thoughts on Scott's potential? Future international?

28 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

Hard to tell really. Certainly had potential that if moulded correctly he could turn into a really good player. Even as it was, there was a noticeable drop off in our attacking threat after he departed, which speaks volumes for one so young. 

Full international though? I’d be surprised personally 

43 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

I think it’s too early to tell. He’s got the right attitude, physically very strong, and a pretty good all round game. However he’s still got some developing to do.