Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I wonder if this will affect our pursuit of Lang on loan as well as any issue with Kipre's installments/sell-on fee.

If Hastie came back and done us a turn then I'd be all for it, although I was slightly in the "one trick pony" camp towards the end myself, although admittedly I may have been a bit fickle with his impending move to Rangers. 

The problem is that since he's left, he's had a few months at Rotherham where he played on the left (thus eliminating the cut inside move) and after a promising start dipped in and out the side, then went back and played in the reserves/Irn Bru cup for Rangers. It's hardly like we're getting him back in "good condition" so to speak.

There's also the pressure element. When he came back from Alloa, he was expected to be Elliott Frear's understudy after Frear worked his way back into the side. He then came into the team due to Frear's injury and started scoring belters. We have several fans who will be questioning the clubs' decision to bring him back if he comes in and goes, say, 5 or 6 matches without a belter or similar moment of magic. One thing that goes in his favour is that he may get his "settling in" period behind closed doors.

I actually don't at any point blame him for joining Rangers. I think the stats were something like 4 goals in 60 games between Airdrie and Alloa, so you really can't blame someone who hasn't particularly been a standout at lower levels cashing in on a purple patch. I think you'd struggle to find many who'd have acted differently in his shoes.

I think the difference between him and Turnbull was that Turnbull had faith he wasn't just a flash in the pan, purple patch, one trick pony type of player (delete as applicable) and he had faith there would be interest beyond last summer and people would be willing to pay a fee for him (obviously that didn't work out exactly to plan but the general point stands)

Edited by crazylegsjoe_mfc

I hope since it has been 2 seasons since big Cedric left most if not all of what we were due has been paid. Add ons such as appearances and staying in the league are likely to have been met also. He has made 65 appearances for Wigan so I hope we had set the bar at 50 appearances and no higher. 

I guess the Q Mark is around any sell on clause. Is our contract revoked as a result of admin ? He appears to be one of their star men and so there may be a few enquiries for his services.  Better yet he has to come back to us as their are outstanding monies but again I suspect we have been paid most of what we were due if not all. 

As for Hastie. I am not overly happy but that is purely down to his destination rather than the decision for him to accept a lucrative contract that 99.9% on this forum would have done. In fact his form since suggests he was right to take the offer whilst it was there. My only concern is he is a Rangers player so although we may benefit on the pitch - they would benefit from him getting more focus and possible a greater transfer fee than we got. That would be ironic even if we are due some of that from a sell on clause. 

With the meltdown going on in the world including football are we missing an opportunity by getting most if not all of our transfer business done now.  Their may be some bargains / very good players to be snapped up in a few weeks time. Would rather also have Ariyibi but not sure where he is and what his circumstances are. 

Edited by welldaft

1 minute ago, welldaft said:

II guess the Q Mark is around any sell on clause. Is our contract revoked as a result of admin ?

I assume we'll just become a creditor like all the others. So if they sell him we'll likely have to settle for some (small) percentage of what the original sell-on fee would have been, and if he's released from his contract to allow him to play elsewhere, we'll get nothing.

3 hours ago, steelmen said:

Never thought of that, just assumed it had been all paid by now.

They don’t like teams defaulting on football debt, but I’m guessing we would just take our place in the queue with the others and get pennies in the pound

Or we can just take him back and sell him again???

I think EFL rules still state they need to pay all football debts in full before they can exit admin. So outside of Wigan going completely bust we should still get the full transfer fee and any sell on if Kipre is moved on.

2 hours ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I wonder if this will affect our pursuit of Lang on loan as well as any issue with Kipre's installments/sell-on fee.

I just noticed this re: England.

Going back to Scott Burns' original story the registration thing was an issue as Shrewsbury still held it and the window wasn't open.

The Steelmen are hoping to get the go-ahead from Wigan – with Devante Cole having a successful loan spell at Fir Park last season.

Motherwell will also need to wait for the transfer window to re-open and to allow Lang to finalise his current loan at Shrewsbury Town.

Presumably his loan contract is already up.

Edited by capt_oats

4 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I just noticed this re: England.

Going back to Scott Burns' original story the registration thing was an issue as Shrewsbury still held it and the window wasn't open.

Presumably his loan contract is already up.

On the Lang story, I see some absolute crazy jokesters  are having some top bantz editing his wiki page. He’s now currently playing for Hibs, but was at Accies and Motherwell last night. Amazed people are that bored.

35 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Tbh if you don't want him because a deep seated ideological hatred of Rangers then absolutely fair enough, but I'm amazed there's folk who genuinely don't rate Hastie after a year of watching Seedorf and Hylton.

Was about to post similar. I hate Rangers as much as the next non-mutant, but Hastie is a no brainer when the alternative is a regular start for *shiver* Sherwin Seedorf. I'd be delighted to eat my words if he comes good but I just don't see it. He's fast but he's weak and can't seem to run with the ball without falling over.

The argument that Hastie was a bit of a one trick pony can be had but he's fast, strong, can control a ball and can run with the ball as well as having a beast of a left foot. I'd take a one trick pony with those attributes over what I've see from Seedorf any day. He cashed in on his purple patch which I don't begrudge him but if he's to come back, surely that's an upgrade in a position where we need bodies. 

5 hours ago, nsr said:

Hadn't Hastie largely been found out by opponents the time he left us?

Might not be the same, but Michael O'Halloran returned to us a much smarter player after his spell at Rangers. 

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Tbh if you don't want him because a deep seated ideological hatred of Rangers then absolutely fair enough, but I'm amazed there's folk who genuinely don't rate Hastie after a year of watching Seedorf and Hylton.

I think for the good of the squad, it's now a deliberate  thing that we sign a scapegoat so that everyone else gets an easy time of it. If that Scapegoat is also better than what we've got, that's got to be a good thing...

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Might not be the same, but Michael O'Halloran returned to us a much smarter player after his spell at Rangers. 

I assume he got at least one game for them though?

Jake Carroll and Charlie Dunne grassed for meeting in a Jake's garden in Larkhall by some burd. Two men of ethnicity and links to the Republic...

I am saying nothing in it.

3 hours ago, Mr Hahn said:

Was about to post similar. I hate Rangers as much as the next non-mutant, but Hastie is a no brainer when the alternative is a regular start for *shiver* Sherwin Seedorf. I'd be delighted to eat my words if he comes good but I just don't see it. He's fast but he's weak and can't seem to run with the ball without falling over.

The argument that Hastie was a bit of a one trick pony can be had but he's fast, strong, can control a ball and can run with the ball as well as having a beast of a left foot. I'd take a one trick pony with those attributes over what I've see from Seedorf any day. He cashed in on his purple patch which I don't begrudge him but if he's to come back, surely that's an upgrade in a position where we need bodies. 

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

This seems a much more sensible destination for the bold Jake tbh.

Certainly less grief for him.

I would agree, probably the smartest move for him. I still feel he was a bit of a one trick pony with the cutting in and feel the opposition soon sussed that out, maybe he struggled towards the end because of the potential Rangers move and that’s understandable. He does however have pace and a great left foot and there is no doubt there is plenty of potential if he gets his head down and works at his game, still not convinced about his attitude, always looked a bit petulant to me.  I would take him over Seedorf any day of the week but any chance of the return of Ariyibi would be even better.

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

Jake Carroll and Charlie Dunne grassed for meeting in a Jake's garden in Larkhall by some burd. Two men of ethnicity and links to the Republic...

I am saying nothing in it.

Shocked to hear there's f**k all in it.

4 hours ago, capt_oats said:

This seems a much more sensible destination for the bold Jake tbh.

Certainly less grief for him.

This is plainly nonsense, as hearts have no fucking idea what a winger is.