Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

6 minutes ago, dezz said:

Robinson ‘reluctantly’ given permission to speak to the Northern Irish FA over the national job. Hope Tommy Wright and Ian Baraclough are excellent in interview situations. Tommy might be a bit rusty though, he’s not had one for a while.

He’s obviously told the club he wants to go for interview, think he stands a good chance personally. Can’t wait to here the views of Steelboy and Yodo.

According to the BBC the interviews have already taken place

Motherwell manager Stephen Robinson and former St Johnstone boss Tommy Wright have been interviewed for the Northern Ireland vacancy.

Four candidates are being considered to replace Michael O'Neil, who left to concentrate on his job with Stoke City.

Robinson, 45, assisted O'Neill as Northern Ireland reached Euro 2016 and the Well boss has also coached his country's youth teams.

Wright, 56, left Saints this summer after seven years in charge.

Both men represented Northern Ireland as players, with goalkeeper Wright winning 31 caps and midfielder Robinson capped seven times.

Hopefully he's just using it to stake a claim for the job the next time it opens up...  hopefully

hopeful fingers crossed GIF by truTV’s Those Who Can’t

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

Trying to sidestep for a moment all the wonderful things the players have said about the coaching he's done with them, and to mitigate how shite this feels right now, he's not always managed to extract great performances from the players.  We were on a sucky run at the end of this season, it does feel awfully lucky to have ended in 3rd.

And if he does go, at least everyone knows "what good looks like" and will know what they're looking for in a replacement.  If it comes to that.

Amirite?   Am I?      :sniff:

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

I'm sure I remember an interview where he said the NI job was his ultimate goal, but he wouldn't want it just now as whoever follows Michael O'Neill is onto a hiding to nothing. He'd rather someone else took that blow and then he gets a proper crack at it later.

Accepting an interview would be a key part of that, othewise in future they would have every right to say "he obviously doesnt want it"

If he interviews well though...would surely be hard to knock back your dream job if offered it.

Edited by Al B

2 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:

Tommy Wright to Motherwell anyone ?

Absolutely not.

Would follow the usual pattern of:

John Hughes saying he's unsure if he'd be interested, whilst the club makes a statement saying he was and will never be in the frame.

Fans worry it's going to be Jeffries/Williamson/Danny Lennon

Huge cries for Simo to get it, and also that "Nijholt is only a phonecall away"

Some mental shout of a high profile ex footballer gets mentioned in the paper, a-la Thierry Henry last time.

Terry Butcher applies (standard).

Job goes to someone we've never heard of.

Edited by Al B

If Wright's up for it I'd be pretty happy with that tbh. Depends if he's only left St Johnstone for a change of scenery or if he's genuinely losing the rag with football management. Easier commuting to N.I from Lanarkshire than #Perthshire I guess.

Lasley gives me the utter fear but the romantic in me really really wants to see it.

21 minutes ago, one m in Motherwell said:

Tommy Wright would surely be the obvious choice for it given that he's free?

A few folk saying NI will value youth development quite highly for their new manager, which is why Baraclough has such a strong claim.

Tommy Wright has suffered throughout his entire time with us from the bizarre, completely baseless, theory that he refuses to play youngsters and instead fills his squad with ageing journeymen. It started with United fans after the Cup win, and ever since then its spread to the point of becoming gospel.

That perception of him could harm his chances.

No doubt it would be a major blow to lose him. I am very optimistic ahead of new season that with a decent squad we can maintain decent momentum and even beat a team in Europa we were not favourites against. Something we have never ever managed. Of course we could lose to Bala Town but I would love Robbo to have a crack at Europe. 

I hope they give it to Tommy or Baraclough and Robbo gets 1stdibs next time round. But does work not like that sadly. 

If he were to leave not sure I would like Lasley to ascend to the throne just yet. Too soon but if I were a betting man I expect we may give it a go to see how he performs even on an interim basis. 

Still hope Robbo has a stinker of an interview.......

Just now, ropy said:

Lasley and Mo Ross double handler with Faddy back to coach the mavericks 

Why should McFadden be brought back? It didn't work out the last time he was here as a coach and there's no reason to think it would now. It would be a major backward step if McFadden is brought back to the club in any capacity and it's well past time that his army of fanboys realised that 2002 was a long, long time ago now and the wonderkid with the red stripe in his hair is very much yesterday's man as far as we are concerned.

As for Stephen Robinson and the NI job, if he goes then best wishes to him. No one can realistically expect him to turn down an offer like that. 

30 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

A few folk saying NI will value youth development quite highly for their new manager, which is why Baraclough has such a strong claim.

Tommy Wright has suffered throughout his entire time with us from the bizarre, completely baseless, theory that he refuses to play youngsters and instead fills his squad with ageing journeymen. It started with United fans after the Cup win, and ever since then its spread to the point of becoming gospel.

That perception of him could harm his chances.

In all fairness to TW I'd say something that might work against him is pretty much all the other candidates are either working in the IFA system at the moment or have worked with them in the recent past.

Baraclough's the current u21s, Magilton's their elite performance director, Robinson's worked with the u19s, u21s and was O'Neill's assistant at the Euros. From what I can tell Wright's last involvement was back in 2013 - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/22991952

If they're looking at "continuity" then the fact he's been away as long may harm his chances more than the idea that he didn't focus on youth.

Back when it was announced O'Neill was stepping down there were NI players who identified Robinson as their preferred choice:

On O'Neill's potential successor, Gareth McAuley told Sky Sports News:

"For me, the one is Steven Robinson at Motherwell.

"It would keep the continuity - he knows the players coming through having worked with them in the underage groups.

"He knows the players in the senior squad, he's worked with them under Michael (O'Neill) and he was at the Euros with us.

"The lads have great respect for him and I just think it would be foolish if they didn't at least approach him - even if they feel Michael should carry on (until March).

Link

Cathcart and McNair also echoed Gareth McAuley's call that Motherwell manager Stephen Robinson would be the obvious choice to succeed O'Neill.

"Robbo has been amongst us and was at the Euros with us as well," Cathcart said.

Link

Edited by capt_oats

Robinson ‘reluctantly’ given permission to speak to the Northern Irish FA over the national job. Hope Tommy Wright and Ian Baraclough are excellent in interview situations. Tommy might be a bit rusty though, he’s not had one for a while.

Baraclough was supposed to be very convincing in his interview with us, to the extent of us giving him the job.

4 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

In all fairness to TW I'd say something that might work against him is pretty much all the other candidates are either working in the IFA system at the moment or have worked with them in the recent past.

Baraclough's the current u21s, Magilton's their elite performance director, Robinson's worked with the u19s, u21s and was O'Neill's assistant at the Euros. From what I can tell Wright's last involvement was back in 2013 - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/22991952

If they're looking at "continuity" then the fact he's been away as long may harm his chances more than the idea that he didn't focus on youth.

Its a fair point. They apparently made TW their "number one target" in 2017, but O'Neill ended up staying.

You're never really sure how much of that is just paper talk, but TW himself was commenting on it.