Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

That was a tasty fight. Wilder is a poor boxer but that power is the leveller.
I hope he sparks AJ as well.

He’s never been a good boxer but if he lands clean its lights out, regardless of who’s in front of him.

He’s never been a good boxer but if he lands clean its lights out, regardless of who’s in front of him.

Yup, if Wilder lands, Wilder wins. Answered a lot of questions about his chin last night as well, Ortiz landed some absolute bombs, especially in the 7th, and Wilder took them. Not 100% Joshua would have got through that barrage. Adds even more intrigue to that potential fight.

I had a punt on Ortiz on points, and I thought I was in halfway through the 10th, but Wilders power is just obscene. Even though he’s not a great boxer in the traditional sense, and his guard isn’t great, the bombs are just a total equaliser. Ortiz boxed really well, and I had him up by four or five (disgusting that the Yank judges has Wilder ahead), but just couldn’t keep Wilder off when he stepped up a gear. Really enjoyable fight.

Dimitry Bivol is a machine. He doesn’t do anything particularly fancy or showy, but his power and most importantly precision is unreal. Would have liked to see him go to Barrera’s body more often, and I think he would have ended the fight earlier if he had, but either way, that was a big win against a top class opponent. Just systematically broke him down.

As did Big Kov. Was actually surprised it went as long as it did, as Mikhalkin looked absolutely exhausted by the end of round two with the shots he was taking. Kov looked more off balance than usual I thought, possibly because Mikhalkin was an awkward southpaw and Kov was over reaching to try and bomb him out, but the power and spite were certainly still there. The Light Heavyweight division is pretty stacked at the top end, and there’s all sorts of great fights that could be made with Kovalev, Stevenson, Bivol, Jack, Gvodzyk and Beterbiev. A WSS would be very, very welcome.

Really enjoyable night of boxing.

The Light Heavyweight division is pretty stacked at the top end, and there’s all sorts of great fights that could be made with Kovalev, Stevenson, Bivol, Jack, Gvodzyk and Beterbiev. A WSS would be very, very welcome.

Really enjoyable night of boxing.

That would be phenomenal. Would it be enough to tempt Ward out of retirement?

Watching wilder fight back.... age is what beat Ortiz, another 30 seconds in the 7th and wilder was beat. His power is massive but overall boxing ability is very very poor, felt Ortiz let him away with one there because for me was controlling the fight. Until 10th i had wilder winning 3 rounds.

Needs more to beat AJ i think.

OK, I will admit that I'm a casual fan. I watched the Heavyweight fight last night and thought it was fantastic; that coupled with the AJ v Klitch fight and heavyweight boxing seems suberb now. Lost a bit interest since Lewis, holyfield times. If we add in Parker and Fury are we looking at the best period in heavyweight boxing since 90s ( genuine question to people who know a lot more than me)?
Also, I noticed that the unofficial scorecards plus some expert retired judge had ortiz 3 rounds in front but apparently the 3 judges at ringside had him 1 round behind when fight was stopped.
Seems a bit strange that this still happens considering the huge stakes when we have technology etc? Is there any solution to this being worked on?

OK, I will admit that I'm a casual fan. I watched the Heavyweight fight last night and thought it was fantastic; that coupled with the AJ v Klitch fight and heavyweight boxing seems suberb now. Lost a bit interest since Lewis, holyfield times. If we add in Parker and Fury are we looking at the best period in heavyweight boxing since 90s ( genuine question to people who know a lot more than me)?
Also, I noticed that the unofficial scorecards plus some expert retired judge had ortiz 3 rounds in front but apparently the 3 judges at ringside had him 1 round behind when fight was stopped.
Seems a bit strange that this still happens considering the huge stakes when we have technology etc? Is there any solution to this being worked on?

Fair enough; as I say bit of casual fan.
What about my other questions?

The top end of the heavyweight division is the most competitive and interesting it’s been since the 90s, best is subjective and the Klitschko’s in their prime both would have done damage, but it’s certainly the most interesting.

The official cards that have been released were a disgrace, and lean towards “Ortiz needed a knockout for a draw” territory, but aside from eradicating the corruption (which is that it is) in cases like this, or human error in other instances, there’s nothing you can do. Compubox registers punch stats, but that tells you nothing of the quality and effect of the punches, and scoring is also based on ring generalship, defence and intelligent pressure as well, and all of these are completely subjective, so there’s no way of computerising that element. It’s certainly not a perfect situation, and it does leave the opportunity for bad / criminal decisions, but I don’t really see an alternative.

The top end of the heavyweight division is the most competitive and interesting it’s been since the 90s, best is subjective and the Klitschko’s in their prime both would have done damage, but it’s certainly the most interesting.

The official cards that have been released were a disgrace, and lean towards “Ortiz needed a knockout for a draw” territory, but aside from eradicating the corruption (which is that it is) in cases like this, or human error in other instances, there’s nothing you can do. Compubox registers punch stats, but that tells you nothing of the quality and effect of the punches, and scoring is also based on ring generalship, defence and intelligent pressure as well, and all of these are completely subjective, so there’s no way of computerising that element. It’s certainly not a perfect situation, and it does leave the opportunity for bad / criminal decisions, but I don’t really see an alternative.
Cheers. 'Best' like you say is subjective; but it certainly seems to be getting more competitive thus interesting which is great for the sport.

How bad? Is he like the poor cousin similar to Herbie Hide back in the day?
Will AJ win with ease; worth buying the ppv?
He's pretty shit but not that shit!

Hard to see past a Joshua win, hopefully setting up a mega bout with Wilder later this year.

14 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

AJ vs Fury then Wilder.

Would be lolz if fury beats AJ

Fury is the best technical boxer out of the 3 of them.

Whether he has the punching power to ko them is another matter though.

Fury is the best technical boxer out of the 3 of them.
Whether he has the punching power to ko them is another matter though.
He doesnt IMO but could easily rinse AJ or Wilder on the cards if the one who fought Klit turns up.

That one wont turn up though. That one is as good as dead.

58 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

He doesnt IMO but could easily rinse AJ or Wilder on the cards if the one who fought Klit turns up.

Tend to agree sadly. Hopefully he'll get his head right and comes back in the 2015 form, he's still young enough but like you, I have my doubts he will.

Too early to call IMO. I have my doubts also, but Fury is still young enough that the enforced time away might not have made all that much difference. And there’s still no heavyweight on the scene currently who can move his head like Fury does.