Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

Said it numerous times, anyone that chooses to earn a living trying to remove another man's head from their shoulders is not your average human being. We still see people judging boxers personalities over whether they seem likeable or not.

Aye Barry mcguigan was well known for being a scumbag [emoji23]

11 hours ago, Kool Keith said:

Said it numerous times, anyone that chooses to earn a living trying to remove another man's head from their shoulders is not your average human being. We still see people judging boxers personalities over whether they seem likeable or not.

If their not your average human being for getting paid to do it , then what does that make us many millions of fans who pay to watch it ? There's a lot of dedication and skill to become a decent boxer. And the level of discipline to do so is extremely high. 2 guys (or woman) trying to knock each other for 12 rounds yet can embrace and shake hands afterwards........ Defo not your average human being no.

Alvarez and Chavez Jnr in discussion to fight on Cinco de Mayo weekend. Fight to be at a catch weight of 164lbs. So he dodges GGG at 160, but's willing to go above that to fight Chavez Jnr, who himself will probably struggle to make 164.

14 hours ago, Kool Keith said:

In my experience I'd have to agree, they've a dedication and fearlessness that your average human doesn't possess.

Tyson Fury seems to get a lot of dislike for his views on gays(understandable) but a fair chunk of those don't seem to mind people using derogatory terms to describe anyone from his background as it's not yet as unacceptable as homophobia, misogyny, racism etc.

Personally when I watch sport I want to see the best performances possible within the rules, I'd far rather see Bolt running 9.4 than 9.9 or Phil Taylor averaging 112 rather than 101 regardless of their personality or behaviour within reason.

1 minute ago, Kool Keith said:

I genuinely don't care about a boxer's personality.  It's good when every once in a while you get a GGG type but it what happens in the ring that I'm interested in.

I'm the same, I'm not saying I don't have boxers that I like/dislike but I'm quite happy to see the ones I think are special attaining greatness and I'm equally happy to see those I think are over-rated getting the shit knocked out of them.

Regardless of what anyone thinks of Mayweather outside the ring I've no time for anyone that doesn't appreciate how great a defensive boxer he was.

Canelo taking fights at 154 and 164. Must be waiting for GGG to show signs of slowing down before finally taking that fight. Knows time is on his side there.

I expect he'll win handily and will make the weight at a canter.

Respecting and enjoying a boxers abilities and achievements, and liking / disliking them don't have to be mutually exclusive. I have nothing but respect for Carl Froch's achievements throughout his career, but I still think he's a prize bellend. Just because I dislike him and wanted to see him get beat, doesn't mean I didn't enjoy watching him fight and appreciate his talent in doing so.

In my opinion it's a good thing when fans get emotionally invested in a boxer because they like or dislike their personality, if for no other reason it sells tickets and increases viewership / pay per view buys which helps grow the sport.

I have absolutely no doubt that Chavez jnr won't make the weight, will give a chunk of his hefty purse to Canelo, get knocked out in the late rounds, and have the ready made excuse that he was massively weight drained, even though he didn't actually make the weight. Mark these words.

It's really not looking very good for Alvarez just now. 

Spending ages at catchweight. Ducking GGG after the Cotto fight and in the process handing over the best belt at 160.  It was completely obvious he was only making 154 after it because at the time Liam Smith was probably the weakest belt holder of any division (and refused drug testing for it, not that I care, I think they're all at it).  Now he looks as though he's attempting the impressive double duck by getting out of 154 thus avoiding the likes of Jermall Charlo and Andrade and in the process skipping GGG at 160.

I've always thought he was a bit overrated tbh, flashy combos, but poor footwork and stamina and thought he was arguably fortunate against Trout and had him losing against Lara but at least for a while he was taking good match ups.

Edited by Kool Keith

It's really not looking very good for Alvarez just now. 
Spending ages at catchweight. Ducking GGG after the Cotto fight and in the process handing over the best belt at 160.  It was completely obvious he was only making 154 after it because at the time Liam Smith was probably the weakest belt holder of any division (and refused drug testing for it, not that I care, I think they're all at it).  Now he looks as though he's attempting the impressive double duck by getting out of 154 thus avoiding the likes of Jermall Charlo and Andrade and in the process skipping GGG at 160.
I've always thought he was a bit overrated tbh, flashy combos, but poor footwork and stamina and thought he was arguably fortunate against Trout and had him losing against Lara but at least for a while he was taking good match ups.

Is Canelo possibly the biggest shitebag to come out of that boxing nation ?

The hardcores seem to really dislike him there, both fans and ex fighters that have positions in the media now.  Goes against everything they love about the sport. 

Pulls in an incredible amount of casuals though. 50,000 at the Smith fight in Texas.  Apparently loads of guys taking the WAG for a night out though. The Mexican/American version of Joshstraps at the O2.

Good win for Sullivan Barrera stopping Shabranskyy, fun fight both men were down early on. I would really like to see Barrera-Gvozdyk as an eliminator for the Kova-Ward 2 winner. Beterbiev fighting in a couple of weeks too, and Alvarez-Bute being made presumably means Stevenson is fighting another binman next.