Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

A lot of lengthy posts for the boxing thread. Bottom line is that at the turn of the decade Khan decided to make something out of himself in boxing and succeeded while Brook fucked about domestically showing very little commitment to the sport in comparison. 

A lot of lengthy posts for the boxing thread. Bottom line is that at the turn of the decade Khan decided to make something out of himself in boxing and succeeded while Brook fucked about domestically showing very little commitment to the sport in comparison. 

Aye class mate, good retort.

14 hours ago, J_Stewart said:

Doesn't answer the question of why it was embarrassing to try and fight the two best fighters of their generation though does it. I do see where you're going, yes, Brook was the best available fight for Spence when it was made. Thurman, Garcia, Pacquaio were all tied up, so Spence fought Brook, probably also realising he was the weakest of the world champions available. Mayweather and Pacquaio were available to Khan (whether you want to admit it or not) and he went for them, neither fight came off (Floyd's decision, a few fan polls wanted Mayweather to fight Khan before the second Maidana fight remember, so it wasn't that wild a notion), but I don't see why there's any shame in that? In my opinion it's to Khan's credit that he actively wanted to fight the best available.

Those are all fight's I'd like to see / have seen, but let's not pretend they were all available, possible or made sense. Thurman, Porter and Spence were all on their way up and not close to the names they are now, none of those three would have helped get a big fight. When Khan was chasing May/Pac, Postol, Garcia, Matthysse, Peterson and Crawford were all in lighter divisions, and Marquez has pretty much retired (not fought in 3 years). The Brook fight probably should have happened by now, but - if he's to be believed, which I think he is - Khan has had his sights set on bigger things until now.

It's like Ayr wanting to play Celtic.

51 minutes ago, diamond_for_life said:

Ayr v Celtic would be more like fucking Audley Harrison taking on Ali 

You'll obviously be Audley' cannon fodder of a sparring partner.

Uncle Barry McGuigan said should be finalised in the next few weeks. 

Probably going to get tickets in the next few days for this Braehead is a very good venue for the boxing.

On ‎31‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 06:46, Neilly said:

Uncle Barry McGuigan said should be finalised in the next few weeks. 

Probably going to get tickets in the next few days for this Braehead is a very good venue for the boxing.

I'm keen to get to this but travelling back to Edinburgh from the Braehead is a nightmare, especially with the TRANSMT festival on the same night. Hotels are pretty much booked out as well.

Doesn't appear to be. Reruns of Garcia v Thurman on Boxnation, and UFC 212 on BT. Wouldn't imagine we'll be missing much anyway from memory of the first fight.

As expected, two round demolition job in a pointless rematch. Missed nothing.