Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

3 minutes ago, NorthernJambo said:

Put this on the twitter thread already but looks like AJ is busy out the ring...

Amir Khan's twitter. He's splitting up with his wife and not taking it well. Looks like Anthony Joshua is trying to get in about her as well

AJ wants to be careful. Amir will kick f**k out of him. #speedbeatspower

WBA orders Joshua to defend against Ortiz.

The WBA says Joshua and Ortiz have 30 days from 3 August to agree the fight.

Joshua, who beat Klitschko at Wembley in April, has also been told he must face IBF mandatory challenger Kubrat Pulev before 2 December or risk being stripped of his belt.

Edited by kiddy

5 hours ago, J_Stewart said:

Buzzing to see the most talented boxer on the planet putting on a show tonight.

Vasyl emoji7.png

As am I. Not a massive boxing fan but I have been somewhat blown away by what I've seen of Lomachenko so far.

Is this guy much of a challenge for him tonight or what?

Can I ask some of the people who know more about boxing than me the point of this Lomachenko fight? 

I know there's a bit of padding records that goes on in boxing when a fighter is coming up, but why is the guy who is quite literally seen as the greatest boxer alive fighting someone who he is 1/100 against? What is the point of that? And why as a viewer should I tune in to watch it? 

Boxing is in quite a healthy state at the moment, no? Why is this squash match happening? 

I can't think of a single top level sporting event in my lifetime where one party was 1/100. 

It's not a squash match. Marriaga is a pretty good fighter, had a close fight with Oscar Valdez in his last fight. Lomachenko is staying active, this is his 2nd fight this year and is scheduled to fight again at the end of the year. The other champions in the division have either just fought or are scheduled to fight soon and Salido knocked back 700 grand for this fight tonight so if he's going to be fighting 3/4 times a year these kind of fights are going to happen. Lomachenko should win comfortably but people need to stop looking at odds and using that as an example of a good or bad fight.

Essentially it's a showcase for him. Toprank who are his promoter have come to an agreement with ESPN in America who are on 'free cable' as opposed to being on HBO or Showtime like normal and therefore PPV. Bob Arum (toprank owner) sees Loma as his next megastar (along with Terrence Crawford who's on ESPN in two weeks also), and is therefore putting him on free telly against a guy who will be game and come forward but not really trouble him, so that as many casual fans as possible can see how class Lomachenko is, become fans, and then continue to watch him when he moves back to PPV.

Should be a good strategy for increasing their viewership and growing the sport even further in the States, as if you're going to strap boxing to someone's shoulders, Vasyl is your man.

Watching on Boxnation I'm afraid.

As expected, Loma is levels above Marriaga and is showboating throughout. One knockdown in the third so far (although Teddy Atlas thinks it was feet coming together as well as the punch, couldn't see with the replay)

Not really much point in scoring as he's winning every round comfortably. Interesting to see how he reacts to the cut after an accidental head clash in the fourth though. Looks to be at the side of the eye so might not affect too bad.

A systematic demolition mercifully stopped by the corner after the 7th round. Lomachenko was light years ahead of Marriaga, and Marriaga is by no means a bad boxer.

Get a fight with Flanagan made for his third world title at three weights, get it over here, and get me a ticket.