Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

Don't normally care who wins the fight as long as it's the better man but found that Smith Jr fight pretty grim viewing.  Would've loved to have seen him get off the building site.

I'm sure his standard of living as a builder was probably better than what Barrera could expect in Cuba. He had little
Chance of winning other than catching Barrera with a wild left hook, after Barrera had managed to suss him out.

Would have thought Hopkins with his ring craft should have been able to negate smith's strengths easily enough but then age catches up on everyone.

Life in the US is far better, all the boxers are desperate to leave Cuba, I'm sure it  took Lara a couple of attempts as a stowaway on a boat iirc. Even so, Smith Jr  was a real life Rocky story,  would've been great to see it continue, went with heart rather than head for the prediction league. 

Looks like Wilder vs Ortiz in November. Best opponent Wilder has faced but I would fancy him due to his speed and power. Ortiz clearly the more technical boxer but can be a bit of a plodder at times. If Wilder can stay on his bike he should get the job done.

Looks like Wilder vs Ortiz in November. Best opponent Wilder has faced but I would fancy him due to his speed and power. Ortiz clearly the more technical boxer but can be a bit of a plodder at times. If Wilder can stay on his bike he should get the job done.

No further discussion required. Ortiz definitely more technical but he's 38 I think now. Wilder taller, longer reach (I assume), younger, fitter.
Still be the best name on Wilder's record mind.

Ortiz has looked pish recently but if you look at how wilder struggled with Eric Molina and how cautious he is at the staRt of fights he could be in bother as Ortiz is fast footed and can bang. Maybe it will bring out the best in wilder- his standard of opposition so far has been appalling.

Would like it to be a competitive fight and agree on your points about about wilders slow start but can't see it being anything worth watching

1 hour ago, JamieStevenson said:

Garcia/Broner worth recording this weekend?

Definitely.

9 minutes ago, pittsburgh phil said:

Frampton fails to make weight.

That's a shocker in only his 3rd fight at 126, thought he was making it comfortably.

Edited by Fraser Fyvie