Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

1 minute ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

Josh was very good in ams but just off elite level.

I'm not going to disrespect Burns but I think given time Taylor has the potential to reach a level above Burns, I'm not going to get too carried away by tonight as Davis was at least 2 levels below Taylor, Taylor landed more punches in a 10 second burst than Davis was managing to land in a round, Taylors gloves must be hurting.

Burns is possibly the worst 3 weight world champion in history, his resume at world level is garbage. Martinez is the only good fighter he beat for a belt, any time he stepped up to legit world level, or in recent times close to it, he lost or got a gift decision. 

I'd probably back Taylor to beat him now tbh. It looks like they are looking at the Crolla fight next though so I doubt he fights Taylor.

I'm not going to disrespect Burns but I think given time Taylor has the potential to reach a level above Burns, I'm not going to get too carried away by tonight as Davis was at least 2 levels below Taylor, Taylor landed more punches in a 10 second burst than Davis was managing to land in a round, Taylors gloves must be hurting.

I agree with you 100% he deffo has far far more POTENTIAL than burns ever had. Acting on it is a different matter.

1 minute ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

I agree with you 100% he deffo has far far more POTENTIAL than burns ever had. Acting on it is a different matter.

Agreed, my old uncle(RIP) extinguished Vernon Sollas' aspirations when he was supposed to be a stepping stone to the dizzy heights.

Thought Taylor looked very good tonight versus a technically limited, albeit heat hitter in Davies.

I think he needs to face a couple of European level fighters before taking on Burns for two reasons :

1. He'd benefit from the experience. 

2. Burns has a couple of bigger fights potentially at the moment. 

Don't get me wrong, I want them to fight but makes little sense for Burns at the moment. 

7 hours ago, J_Stewart said:

Aye, definitely, I mean apart from being a three weight world champion and Scotland's greatest / most decorated ever boxer by fucking miles, what's he actually done?

This Easton v Jamoye fight is tremendous entertainment.

I've listened to the Ricky Burns PR machine as well. Taylor would pummel him. 

I've listened to the Ricky Burns PR machine as well. Taylor would pummel him. 

Fucking hell, I hadn't realised that a Public Relations team had just made up the fact that Ricky Burns won world titles in three different weight classes (I like the additional detail "they" added that he's only the third Britain in history to do it), and was Scotland's most decorated ever boxer. Hadn't realised that at all. That changes everything. Taylor to win within the first 47 seconds of the first round in that case.

I don't think anyone is undermining what Ricky has done for Scottish Boxing.

However his last few fights he has laboured and not looked his old self. Far to easy to hit and I genuinely think Taylor would beat him comfortably.

He has the experience Burns but has seen too many wars. Also OD has schooled him in the gym a few times.

Burns would and will fight anyone however best bet for me would be Crolla. That's a big money fight.

Taylor wants to move quickly and tbh I think he is ready. He is class.

7 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

Fucking hell, I hadn't realised that a Public Relations team had just made up the fact that Ricky Burns won world titles in three different weight classes (I like the additional detail "they" added that he's only the third Britain in history to do it), and was Scotland's most decorated ever boxer. Hadn't realised that at all. That changes everything. Taylor to win within the first 47 seconds of the first round in that case.

A record as padded out as Burns' one is effectively a big boxing PR exercise.

Watched the fight again when I got home. Was even more one sided than I thought at the time. Just about all of ODs punches were blocked which wasn't obvious at fight. Also didn't realise how much he quit at the end. He didn't want to know at all.

Get it right up him!

Watching last night I was struck by how good Taylor was. His spwork inside was sharp and he got his tactics spot on. Davies looked limited and maybe he was a bit puffed up but going in he had a decent record and can obviously punch. Taylo rlooked miles above him though.

As for fighting Burns, clearly Taylor is on the rise and Burns is on the way down. It'd be a huge fight but I doubt it'll happen - not enough in it for Burns and the promotional issues with Matchroom and Cyclone.

12 hours ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

I can't hear commentary but Davies will stop him late.

Knows his stuff. Casual found.

What an evening. That was a boxing clinic from Taylor. I feel a star was born last night and I was there to witness it being a bigger boxing fan than most on this thread.

12 hours ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

I will need to watch it again sober but I thought both did well. Taylor has the same vulnerability as he's always had in the ams- plants his feet and too upright so takes too many punches. I don't think he 'schooled' OD either because he ducked the hook.

Were you oan the acid? Davies had one decent round and was schooled for the majority not sure what you are on about.

I was drunk when I watched the fight on holiday in a boozer so I'd need to see it again to comment properly. However Taylor is still a relative novice in the pro game. He's had a high standard of opposition in his 10 fights but he's yet to have to respond to a crisis such as a cut, being put down or even badly hurt. Until he gets a test like that then nobody is in a position to make definitive claims about what he would do to someone like burns.

He's not went over 8 rounds either and basically everyone he's hit has fallen- how's he going to react when he hits someone his best and they still stand there? How is his stamina? His desire? How calmness under pressure?his plan B?

We don't know any of that about Taylor yet and he should be careful not to bite off more than he can chew too early as once your fighting the likes of burns then the genie is out the bottle and you can't put it back in.

He looks the best Scottish boxer in my lifetime but there are still plenty of unknowns and plenty of ways he could come unstuck. He is far from flawless.