Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

I don't think Mayweather beat Judah or Oscar De La Hoya. Was incredible as a fighter and if he does come back i think Pacman takes his 0!!!

Any word of the date and venue for the Fury v Wilder fight? Whole situation has my head minced.

1st December, Staples Centre, all booked and announced.

Have to admit that Smith was significantly better than I thought he was capable of there. Will be interesting to hear if Groves had issues with the shoulder in camp, he looked very jaded but it may just have been that Smith is actually pretty decent. Good fight but was there anything else on the card to make it worth paying, ITV need to take a leaf out of Eddies book and get some comedy fights on the undercard to make it PPV worthy.

Absolutely sensational left hook from Callum Smith, and the body shot to finish it was outstanding. I’d questioned if he could step up to true world class level, and he more than proved that he could tonight.

Hope we get a rematch, was an excellent fight. The World Super Series delivering yet again. Never doubt King Kalle!
IMG_6334.jpg

Cracking fight, with a tremendous finish by Smith. Groves admitted the body shot took everything out of him, the shake of the head preceding the count out.

Found the commentary to be pretty one sided though, with that lanky streak of pish continually talking up Smith. I had it 6-6 going into 7.

Well done to Smith & he's surely in good position to chase the other versions holders Ramirez (WBO) Benavidez (WBC) & Uzcategui (IBF).

24 minutes ago, pittsburgh phil said:

Groves should call it a day now, solid if unexceptional. Too good for rubbish like Eukbank Jr, not good enough for Frotch.

Smith will lose his first title defence.

Groves, like De Gale, is a decent operator at World level who, like Froch, has won a version of a world title.

Froch, like the two mentioned, wasn't good enough to mop up multiple titles in the division & wasn't anywhere near the level of Ward.

Whether Smith can move forward & build on tonights display, remains to be seen. What has been shown, is that he too is perfectly comfortable mixing it at World level.

21 minutes ago, kiddy said:

Groves, like De Gale, is a decent operator at World level who, like Froch, has won a version of a world title.

Froch, like the two mentioned, wasn't good enough to mop up multiple titles in the division & wasn't anywhere near the level of Ward.

Whether Smith can move forward & build on tonights display, remains to be seen. What has been shown, is that he too is perfectly comfortable mixing it at World level.

I'd rank Froch at his peak above De Gale & Groves tbh. He had some pretty impressive names on his CV. No shame in not reaching the heights of future Hall of Famer, Ward though.

After seeing the replays I think it was the body shot that ended Groves. The way he recovered after being wobbled in the 3rd round I think was unreal. His legs were all over the place but a few seconds later his head was back in it and he was throwing punches with power. 

If Groves does chuck it after this he’s had a good career, always enjoyed his fights and he seems like a good guy. 

Really enjoyable fight that, last night. A bit like Joshua last weekend, when Smith landed that hook and seen he hurt him he took his chance. Sat him down with a body shot like someone hoped he could [emoji4]
Not sure what’s next for Groves. He’s a very good boxer, his jab is class, but seems to end up in needless brawls at times and there’s a lot of miles on the clock now

Really enjoyable fight that, last night. A bit like Joshua last weekend, when Smith landed that hook and seen he hurt him he took his chance. Sat him down with a body shot like someone hoped he could [emoji4]
Not sure what’s next for Groves. He’s a very good boxer, his jab is class, but seems to end up in needless brawls at times and there’s a lot of miles on the clock now

Groves jab is class but from the first bell last night it seemed like all Groves had and he was painfully one dimensional. Thought Callum Smith was class from the start and I’m not even sure I’d have awarded Groves more than a round. Clinical from Smith.

Groves jab is class but from the first bell last night it seemed like all Groves had and he was painfully one dimensional. Thought Callum Smith was class from the start and I’m not even sure I’d have awarded Groves more than a round. Clinical from Smith.

Can’t agree with that. Groves tried to land his right on numerous occasions from the 3rd round onwards once things had opened up (and did a few times), but Smith’s reach advantage and the fact he boxed so well from distance largely negated it. If you watch it again, Groves actually showed a fair bit of variation in the shots he was throwing, it’s just that Smith’s distance control was so good on the night that they didn’t come off.

I watched it again yesterday and still had it 3-3 going in to the 7th. Was a tremendous fight. Would love to see them go again.