Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

Can't see Joshua fighting the winner of Fury-Wilder in April. They'll point to the additional rest of Joshua plus Hearn wants it agreed before their fight which is just another obstacle.

I can only see it being Joshua vs Whyte II with a packed undercard. 

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

If the fight actually happens (there's still no venue) I expect Wilder to dispatch Fury quite easily.

The rumours are that Joshua is more keen to fight Wilder than the Hearns are to make it.

I think AJ is resigned to fighting who Eddie lines up for him and doesn't stress about it now. AJ has talked about the Parker fight being the end of one chapter of his career - the weightlifter look, the fear of losing. Eddie sees some Mayweather style perfect record for AJ whereas Joshua himself has talked quite a bit recently about becoming more of a boxing student and seeing great boxers have sometimes lost. Thought that was a much more enjoyable performance from him than against Parker. 

If Wilder v Fury happens I could see Fury making it a horrendously frustrating occasion for Wilder. Making him miss then hitting him when he's off balance. Could see a comfortable points win for Fury. 

I think AJ is resigned to fighting who Eddie lines up for him and doesn't stress about it now. AJ has talked about the Parker fight being the end of one chapter of his career - the weightlifter look, the fear of losing. Eddie sees some Mayweather style perfect record for AJ whereas Joshua himself has talked quite a bit recently about becoming more of a boxing student and seeing great boxers have sometimes lost. Thought that was a much more enjoyable performance from him than against Parker. 
If Wilder v Fury happens I could see Fury making it a horrendously frustrating occasion for Wilder. Making him miss then hitting him when he's off balance. Could see a comfortable points win for Fury. 

In Mayweathers case, in Joe Calzaghes case, and some would argue in Rocky Marcianos case, retiring with the 0 intact means nothing more than you cherry picked your way through, or (where Marciano comes in) the top guys around were on the slide and there was nothing really there for you at points.

If you are fighting the best fights at a reasonable rate you will lose and there is no shame in it. The 0 is just another Mayweatherism damaging the sport, just like how he managed to get actual fight fans to biccar and argue about whether a fight should be made or not based on the split etc.

"My guy deserves 60%...." type bullshit.

7 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

In Mayweathers case, in Joe Calzaghes case, and some would argue in Rocky Marcianos case, retiring with the 0 intact means nothing more than you cherry picked your way through, or (where Marciano comes in) the top guys around were on the slide and there was nothing really there for you at points.

If you are fighting the best fights at a reasonable rate you will lose and there is no shame in it. The 0 is just another Mayweatherism damaging the sport, just like how he managed to get actual fight fans to biccar and argue about whether a fight should be made or not based on the split etc.

"My guy deserves 60%...." type bullshit.

Even stuff like the scruffy beard and hair suggests to me AJ is genuine about now just fighting for the fun of it - almost like he's rebelling against Eddie. Thought when the fight was announced it was a good move by Eddie as Povetkin would be a really credible opponent. I heard David Haye saying he thought Hearn was crazy as Povetkin would be so dangerous but I saw it as the opposite and that he was the perfect opponent for AJ's style. Even said to the missus at the start he'd finish it in the 6th or 7th (she said "how come it looks so much more dangerous than when you've boxed?" Had to explain AJ's training regime featured less pizza and alcohol than mine ever did).

That first round showed why Wilder could be a bit hairy for AJ even now. All it would take is for him to be that upright and static as he was a few times and Wilder could spark him. If he keeps getting more athletic and works on moving better from the start then Eddie could chuck him in and be much more confident about him beating Wilder. Alternatively that more athletic look might have been because Povetkin's stature didn't scare him (no offence B) and he'd beef up a bit if he's in against Whyte. 

All pretty intriguing anyway. I'd expect it to be Whyte up next for him. Would fancy Whyte to drop him at some stage but AJ to win in the end. 

19 hours ago, kiddy said:
22 hours ago, pittsburgh phil said:
It certainly isn't and by no means is Wilder a good boxer but if that punch from Povetkin that went through his guard and nearly sat him down in round one was from Wilder, he'd still be sleeping today

If ma Auntie had bawz.

She'd probably be ranked 3rd by the WBC.

Even stuff like the scruffy beard and hair suggests to me AJ is genuine about now just fighting for the fun of it - almost like he's rebelling against Eddie. Thought when the fight was announced it was a good move by Eddie as Povetkin would be a really credible opponent. I heard David Haye saying he thought Hearn was crazy as Povetkin would be so dangerous but I saw it as the opposite and that he was the perfect opponent for AJ's style. Even said to the missus at the start he'd finish it in the 6th or 7th (she said "how come it looks so much more dangerous than when you've boxed?" Had to explain AJ's training regime featured less pizza and alcohol than mine ever did).
That first round showed why Wilder could be a bit hairy for AJ even now. All it would take is for him to be that upright and static as he was a few times and Wilder could spark him. If he keeps getting more athletic and works on moving better from the start then Eddie could chuck him in and be much more confident about him beating Wilder. Alternatively that more athletic look might have been because Povetkin's stature didn't scare him (no offence B) and he'd beef up a bit if he's in against Whyte. 
All pretty intriguing anyway. I'd expect it to be Whyte up next for him. Would fancy Whyte to drop him at some stage but AJ to win in the end. 
If AJ wants to truly be a student of the game he needs to adjust his style. He seems totally unable to fight long despite his size. He needs some more Lennox about him.

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
9 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

If AJ wants to truly be a student of the game he needs to adjust his style. He seems totally unable to fight long despite his size. He needs some more Lennox about him.

You've got to have it in the 1st place.

Just now, Bairnardo said:
3 minutes ago, ayrmad said:
You've got to have it in the 1st place.

Well aye, thats what I meant obviously.

I'm just a bit underwhelmed by AJ, might just be the unwarranted hype he receives, for a giant I don't really rate his jab that much and defensively he hasn't improved a thing from his early fights, raking it in though, so a lot of people must see him differently.

I'm just a bit underwhelmed by AJ, might just be the unwarranted hype he receives, for a giant I don't really rate his jab that much and defensively he hasn't improved a thing from his early fights, raking it in though, so a lot of people must see him differently.
He is a personable, British Olympian turned legitmate heayweight champion. I could sell him to the British public. Sky dumb boxing down to the point where people bough Harrison v Haye and people will believe Bellew can beat Usyk. Thats just the way it is. AJ couldnt fail to be a massive name.

And to be fair, it is not without merit. He has pretty sailed through all challenges in his career and given that he is a young man, it cant be said that he has ever taken the easy route. Unfortunately for him in todays heavyweight division, there isnt that layer of sort of B fighters underneath the legit champs for him to have really learned in. Its shite, more shite, beltholder in the heavies. You dont get a full aprenticeship.

If he is going to learn he needs to do it himself because the tough opponents arent there really to set him and his team puzzles. I think he would benefit from working with Lennox. If he could pick up that ramrod jab he would certainly be much safer against Wilder whilst he waits for the inevitable opening in the big stupid windmill punches.

9 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

He is a personable, British Olympian turned legitmate heayweight champion. I could sell him to the British public. Sky dumb boxing down to the point where people bough Harrison v Haye and people will believe Bellew can beat Usyk. Thats just the way it is. AJ couldnt fail to be a massive name.

And to be fair, it is not without merit. He has pretty sailed through all challenges in his career and given that he is a young man, it cant be said that he has ever taken the easy route. Unfortunately for him in todays heavyweight division, there isnt that layer of sort of B fighters underneath the legit champs for him to have really learned in. Its shite, more shite, beltholder in the heavies. You dont get a full aprenticeship.

If he is going to learn he needs to do it himself because the tough opponents arent there really to set him and his team puzzles. I think he would benefit from working with Lennox. If he could pick up that ramrod jab he would certainly be much safer against Wilder whilst he waits for the inevitable opening in the big stupid windmill punches.

I'm not convinced Wilder will be throwing windmill punches against AJ, I'm an ex taxi driver and I could see early doors that AJ is just waiting to be hit by straight rights, Wilder has a quality straight right, his team are off their heads if they don't keep him fairly tight and wait for the red sea to part up the middle as it always does.

I'm not convinced Wilder will be throwing windmill punches against AJ, I'm an ex taxi driver and I could see early doors that AJ is just waiting to be hit by straight rights, Wilder has a quality straight right, his team are off their heads if they don't keep him fairly tight and wait for the red sea to part up the middle as it always does.
Wilder doesnt do anything tight or orthodox though. He has insane punching power, but they dont from a fundamental base. If anyone is looking to finish that fight with a right hand directly down the pipe it should be AJ. If Wilder wins IMO it will be a temple shot/legscrambler from the left hook

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
9 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Wilder doesnt do anything tight or orthodox though. He has insane punching power, but they dont from a fundamental base. If anyone is looking to finish that fight with a right hand directly down the pipe it should be AJ. If Wilder wins IMO it will be a temple shot/legscrambler from the left hook

We're all entitled to our opinions, just think his camp will make him tighter.

I'm still waiting for my man Dubois to burst on to the scene but he appears to be taking far far fewer fights than I expected(10 or 12 fights a year instead of 3 or 4), hopefully not a sign of him reaching his level in sparring.

On 24/09/2018 at 17:40, Shandon Par said:

Wilder is easier to hit than AJ

Whyte will never drop AJ

Fury beats Wilder on points . Can't see the fight happening tbh