Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

Just got tickets for Frampton Warrington.

The day after Mad Friday in December, 10,000 Leeds fans in Manchester and a similar following over from Belfast, out on the piss all day before heading up to the MEN Arena, what can possibly go wrong!!? eek

Fight Tickets confirmed, flight/hotel booked cannae wait, should be a cracker!![emoji846]

Just got tickets for Frampton Warrington.

Same. A Christmas miracle.

How do you both see the fight going? I really like Warrington but I thought Selby would outclass him, yet he didn’t let him. Frampton as capable as Selby of showing his class but probably more able than Selby to grind it out?

On 9/24/2018 at 17:06, Bairnardo said:

In Mayweathers case, in Joe Calzaghes case, and some would argue in Rocky Marcianos case, retiring with the 0 intact means nothing more than you cherry picked your way through, or (where Marciano comes in) the top guys around were on the slide and there was nothing really there for you at points.

Is this a wind up?

Is this a wind up?
No. Over protection of their 0 means some fight were left on the shelf too long or missed altogether. Bernard Hopkins has spoken a fair bit on the subject.

No matter who you are, if you spend your career fighting the best around you consistently, then one night you will be at 90% when the other guy is 100 and you will lose.

Mayweather is the king of the well manicured career and whilst he has a very good record, some great wins and skills worthy of ATG status, for me the reason he kept his 0 is because of his careful management of which fights he took and when.

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

No. Over protection of their 0 means some fight were left on the shelf too long or missed altogether. Bernard Hopkins has spoken a fair bit on the subject.

No matter who you are, if you spend your career fighting the best around you consistently, then one night you will be at 90% when the other guy is 100 and you will lose.

Mayweather is the king of the well manicured career and whilst he has a very good record, some great wins and skills worthy of ATG status, for me the reason he kept his 0 is because of his careful management of which fights he took and when.

Hopkins would say that, he lost his first fight!

Who would've beaten Mayweather at a given point in time?

I will never know. My point was that retiring with an 0 doesnt really mean much, and it didnt until Floyd Mayweather brought it to the forefront in what was admittedly a fantastic bit of PR.

31 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Peak Pacquiao.  Seemed clear to me Floyd was avoiding him.   

Edited by LargsTON

There are so many titles now, and so much money for big fights that it'll be unlikely that anyone will unify all of the titles and hold them for any length of time.

Fight the WBA mandatory or ditch it, earn ten times as much for a fight that folk want to see? Ooh let me think?

It's a business and always has been but the days of one lineal champion are long gone.

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:
2 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

I will never know. My point was that retiring with an 0 doesnt really mean much, and it didnt until Floyd Mayweather brought it to the forefront in what was admittedly a fantastic bit of PR.

Mayweather's pre Oscar career alone is ATG.

After that you can say he was more careful with his matchmaking but he fought everyone other than Margarito and that was hardly his fault.

Margarito and Paul Williams are the only guys he really outright avoided. Williams would have caused him serious problems imo but he would still have beat both of them, Maybe he could have fought Mosley a bit earlier, when Mosley was at lightweight but most people would say that was Mosley ducking Floyd at that point.

I'm not really seeking to go over the who and when tbh. The initial point I was making was that the obsession with the 0 was of Floyds making and it is to boxings detriment. Just as fight fans being tricked into giving boxer X a pass for not fighting boxer Y because of bullshit excuses like PPV split etc was of Floyds making. He turned a generation of young fighters into fucking divas paving the way for entitled assholes like Canelo.

The other point I was making, and this one is very opinion based, is that IMO if you fight at a reasonable rate and take on most if not all of the top guys around you, you will take a loss.

Some fighters are truly special and that might not be the case, but Floyd is an EXTREMELY cautious guy. Aside from fear of losing his 0, he knew how to make next level money out of boxing, never pretended to want to take risks and was always clear about his goals. For that reason it is reasonable to assume he took the path of least resistance in some (not all) career path decisions.

None of that is a slight on Mayweathers boxing ability. He will deservedly be a first ballot HoF'er, he will be talked about for generations, and people will repeatedly try and fail to emulate his style. He also was and is an absolute w****r.

On 25/09/2018 at 02:04, Bairnardo said:

He is a personable, British Olympian turned legitmate heayweight champion. I could sell him to the British public. Sky dumb boxing down to the point where people bough Harrison v Haye and people will believe Bellew can beat Usyk. Thats just the way it is. AJ couldnt fail to be a massive name.

And to be fair, it is not without merit. He has pretty sailed through all challenges in his career and given that he is a young man, it cant be said that he has ever taken the easy route. Unfortunately for him in todays heavyweight division, there isnt that layer of sort of B fighters underneath the legit champs for him to have really learned in. Its shite, more shite, beltholder in the heavies. You dont get a full aprenticeship.

If he is going to learn he needs to do it himself because the tough opponents arent there really to set him and his team puzzles. I think he would benefit from working with Lennox. If he could pick up that ramrod jab he would certainly be much safer against Wilder whilst he waits for the inevitable opening in the big stupid windmill punches.

Joshua would be better looking to emulate Larry Holmes or George Foreman's jab imo.