Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

Nonsense. He's been put on his arse before and recovered excellently, by a much better boxer no less. 
Everybody is screaming that he's a no mark because that's what people want - failure. 

No by a 40 year Wlad who should have finished him but let him off the hook.

People have been questioning Anthony Joshua long before last night. He is very good at hitting and stopping slow cumbersome fighters who will stand in front of him and move in straight lines. People far more informed than you and I have said that people with fast hands and good movement will cause him massive trouble and Ruiz has that. I personally didn’t think it would be Ruiz but credit to him he was phenomenal.

4 minutes ago, Dele said:

Shitebag. 

FWIW, he's a very, very good boxer. Evidently. Brilliant? No, not yet. No idea whether he will ever get to that level. 

He’s not. He’s been hyped up by the UK media.

You love him as he has a good media persona. 

Edited by Grangemouth Bairn

Just now, Grangemouth Bairn said:

He’s not. He’s been hyped up by the UK media.

Absolutely. The British media won him those three world titles. As I said before, certain types of people sit in the background craving failure. You're one of them.

4 minutes ago, dundeefc1783 said:

No by a 40 year Wlad who should have finished him but let him off the hook.

People have been questioning Anthony Joshua long before last night. He is very good at hitting and stopping slow cumbersome fighters who will stand in front of him and move in straight lines. People far more informed than you and I have said that people with fast hands and good movement will cause him massive trouble and Ruiz has that. I personally didn’t think it would be Ruiz but credit to him he was phenomenal.

1 minute ago, Dele said:

Absolutely. The British media won him those three world titles. As I said before, certain types of people sit in the background craving failure. You're one of them.

I’m not craving failure I’m a realist. 3 world titles is a great achievement but in reality who has he beat ? His biggest achievement was beating a boxer who was past his best.

I understand you are a huge Joshua fan though.

No certain people who have a reasonable knowledge of boxing realise that he is limited as a boxer and can see through the media hype, promotion and bullshit. He might well have been a unified world champion but a very very good boxer is something he is not and never will be.

3 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

You are clueless about boxing mate. You have Joshua up there with the best and he’s not.

I'm absolutely lost in this minefield of "if he gets punched in the chin he could get knocked out" and "aye, he's a world champion but who has he beat" knowledge, tbf. 

I'm sorry, are you claiming Wilder is a good boxer? :lol:

Of the three biggest names in the heavyweight division at the moment, Fury is the only one close to what you’d say is ‘a good boxer’, and even then I’m thinking of pre-meltdown Fury. AJ and Wilder are a bit more ‘one trick pony’ types.

£50, right now, Joshua beats Wilder if they ever meet. 

Brave call, but you never know...

Me? Well after that AJ shitshow last night, my money would be going firmly on Wilder.

On 29/10/2017 at 09:51, ayrmad said:

Anyone who can bang is a danger to AJ, I'm quite confident he'll be stopped in one of his next 3 or 4 fights if he doesn't fight tippy tappy guys, I think Dubois might just about be ready for him by fight 25 if Warren isn't too cautious with him, this is the time for a young quick improver to sweep to the top of this division, it only takes 1 punch and Joshua isn't good enough to avoid taking a punch IMO, if Dubois has a chin I think he could be a superstar, some of his angles and punches reminded me of a young tyson.

Some matchups just don’t suit boxers and this one exposed Joshua. Wilder v Fury was such a good fight because of the different styles and strengths of the fighters. I knew Fury was gifted technically but I found a lot more respect for him after surviving those Wilder shots.
You couldn’t write Joshua off altogether against either of them but I’d bet on Wilder and Fury coming out on top if it ever happens. Ruiz should get a bit more respect from some now. He demolished Joshua when he went toe to toe with his speed and movement, and that after getting off the canvas. He’d also give Wilder problems. Fury less so. Throw Usyk into the mix maybe and some really cracking fights possible.
Ruiz could be stripped of the IBF belt before the rematch too, so a unified champ could be some way away.

I'm absolutely lost in this minefield of "if he gets punched in the chin he could get knocked out" and "aye, he's a world champion but who has he beat" knowledge, tbf. 

Yeah you acknowledge that sarcastically but refuse to acknowledge the numerous comments about AJ’s limited ability, lack of head movement, durability and footwork and the fact that it’s been mentioned numerous times that someone with decent movement and hand speed would have him in a world of trouble because he is so one dimensional.

1 minute ago, dundeefc1783 said:

Yeah you acknowledge that sarcastically but refuse to acknowledge the numerous comments about AJ’s limited ability

That's because every boxer out there has limitations, hence why Joshua was the guy at the top of the tree. 

I am a broken record but I'll say it once more - people crave failure on here of a 'British' boxer. 

Scottish though? Oh no. Taylor is the best thing since sliced bread. 

That's because every boxer out there has limitations, hence why Joshua was the guy at the top of the tree. 
I am a broken record but I'll say it once more - people crave failure on here of a 'British' boxer. 

I personally don’t like Anthony Joshua because I think he is very false and nowhere near as good as people think he is.

I generally want all Britain boxers to succeed unless they are bell ends like Eubank JR or Kid Galahad. Will generally always be behind the UK fighter because the more world champions we have the better fights we get in this country.

What’s wrong with getting behind a Scottish world champion? Considering how limited our world class sportsmen are? Nobody claims that Josh Taylor is the best thing sliced bread that I recall. Thinks it’s generally accepted on here that while he is very good he has flaws that may see him come up short against the very best unless he can make some adjustments

6 minutes ago, Dele said:

This is a really long meltdown, I'm enjoying it.

I don't think people crave failure of Joshua, more the hype that came with it. Me, I think he beat what was in front of him, which wasn't much, while showing limitations that made you think he'd eventually be exposed.

He had two gift decisions at the Olympics, there are legitimate questions over his early muscle mass gains, he has made alleged racist comments, derogatory comments about the mental health of a known mental health sufferer and has made borderline misogynistic comments about raising a daughter. All while projecting a false image. I think it's funny more than anything else to see the matchroom casuals crying. 

It is possible that a boxer can be somewhere between the greatest of all time and a compete bum? I’d say that of the big three heavyweights (until last night at least) all have weaknesses. It seems that AJs could be so serious that he might never reach the heights of being the undisputed world champion that some thought he could get to. He looked tentative and then rushed in after scoring a knockdown leaving him open. I don’t think he did well facing someone who was a smaller target and then really fell apart when he had to face adversity. Previously when he’s been in that situation, hurt by Whyte, Wlad and Povetkin, he’s managed to pull it out but Ruiz pressed home his advantage.

Joshua has found out that being very tall and having muscles doesn't win you boxing matches. Ruiz had him totally and utterly on toast.